What does it take to become a mod?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Norsefire, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ask the boss.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

why do you prevaricate?
    should i grease your palm?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

How dare ye, I'm public official!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

ahaaa!!!

8. draqon Banned Banned

Gustav has connections ...

9. Gustav Banned Banned

what the fuck is that about?
    the implication aint even remotely funny
    apologize, scumbag!

10. Gustav Banned Banned

all are accountable
    for this is sci
    dolt!

pardon, allow me to emphasize the point ...

duh duh duh
    duh duh duh duh
    dolt!

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The mods do like to change the rules when a subject is theoretically open to debate but they don't want it debated, like AIDS.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

give me a list of forbidden subjects
    give me the viewpoint to be adopted in each

watch and learn

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It takes an application letter like this one:

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA.

I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid.

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin.

I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet moderated a forum.​

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

JAMES!

I sent you that letter in CONFIDENCE!

15. draqon Banned Banned

ur already a mod...

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Precisely.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

the last line reads..

...But I have not yet gone to college. (Hugh Gallagher)

18. Gustav Banned Banned

james

are you guys remunerated for duties performed?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no we arnt

20. Gustav Banned Banned

i was initially flabbergasted then not
    at this time....25 members and 765 guests - Threads: 67,527, Posts: 1,703,960, Members: 29,244
    ??
    does that translate to $s?

bah
    lemme research

edit : are spiders, guests?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  21. Gustav Banned Banned

Examples of Forums

PokerForums.Org: The Forum was created about three years ago and today it has over 9,000 members and 200,000 posts! The site gets 16,500 unique visitors per month and 150,000 page views. The website owner sells the ads directly on the site. The site takes a few hours a day to run which mainly entails checking emails from potential advertisers. So how much does it make? We don’t know exactly but we know that it makes between mid to high $x,xxx per month. The only real cost is hosting which is low. Consider this: The owner is a young twenty something that barely works two hours a day and yet pulls in over $70,000 a year. He has found financial freedom because of how efficient the forum business model is!

SprintUsers.Com: The Forum owner also runs many other forums, which shows us that forums don’t take THAT much time to manage when you have a set of community volunteers in place to moderator the discussion. This forum uses a cost-per-click advertising system and a commission based advertising system to generate revenue. The site makes high $xx,xxx per month with more than 120,000 members. (Mr. Schneakers)

then..eyeball the gloating...

The beautiful thing about the internet forums business model is that the users perform all the work! They create new threads to ask a question or discuss a particular topic. Others reply. They are creating information and content on the site - and they do all this work for free. If the forum is popular, people think it is an honor to be a forum moderator and “police” the forum by removing hurtful comments or remove spam. All the content that is being created is being indexed by search engines and help drive lots of traffic to the site. (Mr. Schneakers)

heh
    mods as unwitting stooges

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Cool, huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Gustav Banned Banned