What do you want and expect from the moderators of sciforums...

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Bells, Jun 5, 2007.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That means you both probably have good points.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah sure, dr lou posted an image wich was a racial joke. he also posted text with religious discrimination against jews, he got perm banned for it,

now i havent seen many other people post pictures that are racial jokes i will admit. but many people have posted racial jokes in text form without punishment,

and i notice that people class slurs about jewish people as "racist" when the jewish people are not even a race. they are a religious grouping. and i have seen plenty of christian and muslim bashing on this forum, and none of the people in mention were banned,

peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi EFOC,
    If you provide particular instances of people who have posted racial jokes in text form, then they will be investigated.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

duh, its me.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

as much as i am for fair moderation and laws in general for mankind. i just cant snitch im sorry, so i guess my argument is invalid for that reason. i just dont like to report others/

peace/

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hmmm....
    I don't like to give infractions, delete move or edit posts, or recommend bans.
    But, it's a necessary job to keep Sciforums in shape.

Reporting posts is an unpleasant job, but it's one way that you can contribute to the community.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol i see what your saying. but thats like saying i can contribute to society by calling the police because some teenagers are smoking weed on my block.

its not going to happen

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

11. original sine Registered Senior Member

Hmmm....
    I don't like to give orders, delete lives or edit history, or recommend tyranny.
    But, it's a necessary job to keep society in shape.

Reporting dissenters is an unpleasant job, but it's one way that you can contribute to the community.

Ah hA! Thee illuminarti!

.SPOO ...RE !SEGASSEM BACKWARDS RAEF

Citizens in this system are able to ignore people and report them to the overlords and they are good citizens all hail the overlords.

Bravo to "Occasional hand relief".

Start from the top of this message if you want to waste your time.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'd take a backrub.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I kind of want to see Pete do a striptease.

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

But I'm already naked!

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Thet's enuf complainin', boa. Get them clothin's off.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Then what more could I want from SciForums?

Where's Genji when you need him?

17. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Complete nonsense. :bugeye:

That’s an absurd overly pessimistic view. Yes, many research scientists are in direct competition with other scientists in the same field, but that is not the same thing as actively trying to “fuck each other over”. In science, just like in other occupations like business and industry, some people do try to get ahead in the field by “fucking over” other people. In science this generally involves unethical behaviour which frequently comes back to bite the person later. In my experience the majority of research scientists are ethical hard-working people who, whilst they actively compete against other labs to publish results first, would not dream of “fucking over” other scientists.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hercules, the entire career set is Red Queen from start to finish. I've been backstabbed at least twice now. The system is broken. It raises up massive cohorts at each stage - secondary school, undergrad, grad, postdoc - and then abandons 95% of them to their undeserved fate. As for your karmic impression of circular justice: bullshit. As a postdoc I had to strike back at someone who stole from me, a professor in another university. He refereed an article, stole the three major points and applied them to his own research without so much as a thankyou. Meanwhile each open position is swarmed on by hundreds of applicants. The system is unbalanced, wrong and destructive. It ruins lives.

19. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Uh huh, whatever.

That sort of thing has never happened to me nor have I encountered it happening to any colleagues in my various research positions. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen; I know it does. But I am saying that it isn’t nearly as widespread as you would have us all believe. There is no doubt that science is tough. It’s as tough as any other professional field, probably the toughest.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Balls.

I know a prof, and quite a famous one, who's graduated about 4 PhD students in 20 years. The others he lets to rot, and sabotages their chances of employment. Another guy refuses to let any of his students publish. There's a couple people in his lab that have been PhD students for over five years without allowing them to publish a single thing. Others drag reviews of their student's MSs out over months and months, ruining the chances of publication and souring their theses. Several others were having affairs with postdocs or grad students. One is certifiably insane. Another sabotages articles. One of my old supervisors badmouths all her students after graduation, save her little clique of "preferreds"; never mind their actual contributions. I've been there. I know.

21. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Never lock any threads. We are all grown ups here.

Get rid of people that use this forum to flaunt themselves, they have no intention to debate and discuss issues. They troll, never say anything meaningful and just wind people up. Examples: sandy, darksidZz, MattMarr. IAC has been banned, so how come these members are still here?

And that thing with Holocaust threads as well as threads about Jews. Why do they always end up locked?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ugh, me too; I've seen incredibly stupid people as "good scientists" who mainly spend all their time in power play and kissing ass. Working the system, they call it.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Agreed; it's bizarre and wrong.

The system is broken.