What do you want and expect from the moderators of sciforums...

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Bells, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Ok.. really. What's being "controlled?" Examples?

Call the forum "Off Topic" or something similar.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

General Discussion

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

There we go... I like that one.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Speakers Corner

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

General Thought Correction Zone

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i expect fair treatment of the people who post here. it should be one rule for everyone,

either we all get punished for the same thing, or none of us get punished for it, i see people giving out bans and infractions unfairly.

but its what happens when you give anybody power in any form in this world, they begin to abuse it.

peace.

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't doubt that this happens... but can you provide me with examples that I can investigate for myself? I don't actually notice these things so it would help if I can see the problem for myself.

11. mountainhare Banned Banned

Absane:
    1. Sciforums isn't even close to resembling a real government, so I don't see the relevance of your analogy. Although ironically, if you attempted to draw parallels, sciforums would be an oligarchy.

2. Governments provide far more consistency than seen here on sciforums. Legislature and precedent, just off the top of my head.

I still stand by my earlier comments. Get rid of all moderators, keep someone around to manage the server, secure it against hackers/advertisers, and assist in prosecuting when a member breaks the law, and all is well.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hey it happens, we're only human. But we have our own private subforum and we're subject to peer review like good scientists. I don't see a lot of unfairness and I criticize it when I think I see it. If your point is that you don't agree with our collective definition of "fairness," that's a different issue. You should surely start a discussion of that issue, obviously by giving specific examples, like a good scientist.
    Just speaking for myself as a new moderator with no clue as to how the others think about this... Religion is a very difficult topic to handle. I think no matter how we moderate it or don't moderate it, we're going to get complaints by advocates of one religion or another.

Many religions, particularly many sects of the Abrahamic religions, consider criticism of other religions to be not just acceptable behavior but a duty of their advocates. There are a huge number of people living on this poor planet who honestly believe that under some frighteningly broad conditions it is acceptable behavior to kill advocates of competing religions simply for that advocacy. They may not have the stomach or courage to engage in that behavior themselves but they support those who do with money, votes and public speech. Just look at recent polls in England and America and see how many hundreds of thousands of advocates of one of the Abrahamic religions have openly admitted to this alarming point of view when interviewed.

We can't very well allow people to advocate killing people here. But since we're dealing with belief systems, some of which have as a core element the mandate to eliminate competitors by means ranging from evangelism to political discrimination to violence, I think we're forced to allow their advocates to express those elements of their own faiths.

If someone levels a particularly ugly, pointless and emotional insult at your religion, it says more about his religion than about yours.

But if someone is merely commenting on what he reads in the news or history books about the glaring defects in the evangelical monotheistic religions, or at least in their followers taken collectively over the centuires... if he is describing his dissatisfaction with those defects... if he is expressing his frustration that those defects are rarely admitted, much less repaired... if he is voicing his fear that the world is about to be engulfed in yet another in the endless series of bloodbaths that many of us with cold reason attribute to the children of Abraham (taken collectively over the centuries), well then welcome to SciForums.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

my list:
    1. fair
    2. objective
    3. knowledgeable in the forum they moderate.
    4. able to admit mistakes.
    for them to be removed when they are unable or unwilling to do their jobs.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That must be something new then. I never saw anything like that when I was a mod. If not then I seriously advice you to take a good long look at yourself because clearly you have then lost touch with reality.

Peer review means that manuscripts are scrutinized by peers and judged. And rejected if necessary. We are all quite aware that for instance (Q) has been judged to be unworthy to be a moderator by several moderators and still he is not rejected.

You really are losing it. A good scientist? You know what good scientists do all day? They try to fuck over people in order to get ahead in the game. Can we drop the pedantic nonsense already of a good scientist! The majority of good scientists are class A asshole.

Give us you judgement on your peer (Q) then. Like a good scientist.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Amen, I fully concur with this.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hey pal, don't drag me into your childish tantrum.

17. Ripley Valued Senior Member

How many real scientists, besides Spurious, with a PhD, are members here? I've always been curious about that. Well, an estimate.

18. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

You would think that when some members have so many posts, they should be somewhat scientific.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Quantity is not proportional to quality.

20. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

Quantity is proportional to capacity.

21. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

nearly identical to what i stated above.

22. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Being so scientific and stuff—I myself am from a hairy sector of society—I am really impressed with their appeals for foolproof accountability, dignified manners (where warranted, of course), civil guidance from their superiors, and the almighty imperative that Sciforums-dot-com should be paramount in its renown for scientific endeavor for the scientific community by the scientifically minded.

I get such a rush of calculated cultivation when I drop in that I positively shrink in my nescience and am totally baffled as to why they have accepted me within the circles of their prominent and gifted company.

I am definitely honored, and humbled, to be a sub-member to this polyhistoric forum with a beautiful blade-saw crusading above the thermosphere as its logo.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

i didn't see your post.