What do you think of my moderating?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Fraggle Rocker, Jan 3, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well I wouldn't know that. I am not invited to the "Secret Meetings"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

That is a good point. I guess his contention is that 'this is a linguistics board". Personalli i leave some of my typos in- my feeling on this is to give my opponenty a false sense of security. Then i hit 'em with something profound....Works every time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

HAHA John. So you intentionally make spelling mistakes to throw us off huh?
    What a coincidents so do I

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Interesting. Ignorance is a point of view.

8. John99 Banned Banned

he he. yeah.

That is exactly why. You assume the person is ignorant because they make spelling mistakes and they know more than you do. See how that works?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I never look at spelling mistakes because I come from a country where such mistakes are common. English is not a fluent language for 98% of Indians. I never heard of anyone deliberately dumbing down though.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Do the languages of India have more phonetically consistent spelling? There are no European languages that are half as poor in that regard as English and French. I would guess that Danish comes next; it's full of silent letters and vowels that don't sound the way they're spelled. Some of them, like Turkish, Finnish, Czech and Hungarian, are almost computer-perfect.

As an editor in the field of I.T., I work with the writing of a lot of Indian people. I don't find spelling to be one of their more common types of errors. It's usually grammar--not exactly incorrect but just awkward. Or idioms; they write things like "Both physical as well as virtual storage," which is redundant.

11. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I would like someone to write what I really should have meant to say and there to be an oversight moderator who reads the corrections and compares them to the originals. Spot checks by a committee are a given. A sub-group should be appointed by delagates selected in open voting. The committe will evaluate controversial changes.

A judicial branch seems unavoidable. I think, given the number of participants here, randomly chosen judges with day long tenures would be most beneficial. Thus the masses learn the complexity of the moderators.

No juries with power.

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

As an applicant for Fraggle Rocker's current but obviously controversially held post, I will give you a sample edited version of SAM's post.
    I believe what she should have written was....

Uninteresting. [I decided that sarcasm in this milieu actually contributes to signal to noise ratios negatively. People are just not up to the task of sarcasm. Thus I invert her opening term, moving subtext to text.]
    Insignificant is your point of view. [I do feel however that condescension is picked up, albeit unconsciously, by most partipants, and most will feel, if not completely understand, that fronting with the adjective (and thus stressing it, implying via implicit synechdoche ((shit, is it metonomy?)) that the addressed person is insignificant. The addition of the possessive pronoun adds a focus to the dart thrown otherwise and characteristically all too accurately by fellow moderator, if this is not presumptuous, SAM.]

I can promise that even longer posts will be subject to my honing.

I believe that limiting corrections merely to grammar, spelling and misinformation leaves us with a lot of style and interpersonal gesture shortcomings.

I promise to minimize these.

Yours,
    Simon

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Welsh ?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All Indian languages are phonetic, our alphabet is made up of what we call akshar (or letters) and barakhadi (vowels):

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not familiar with the spelling systems of the Celtic languages. Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish, Breton--can anyone tell us about them?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I didn't realize that you were even a moderator!

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Fraggle, I think you're doing great.
    I don't know whether or not you ever corrected any of my typo's, but I wouldn't mind.
    Do you let the poster know when you edit his/her post ? I know I would appreciate that