What do you think is the opposite of fear?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by jandt, Dec 10, 2002.

1. zira Registered Senior Member

opposite to fear is ...

... dangerous carelessness.

examples:

People who drive a car with excessive speed in the dark or on ice and snow.

People who display a bag with 25000 USD on the rear seat of their car.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

If i had to say something as being the opposite of fear, then i would say love.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I agree the soul is in the brain, but a concept OF the brain, not the nature of the brain....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

notme2000,

What is IN the brain? Your thoughs (mind), your will and your emotions? Do you agree with that? If so, then look at this:

brain= mind, will and emotions
    soul= mind, will and emotions
    brain=soul

Do you get...? If you don't agree, why?

8. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I get it. Consciousness, the "I". I understand, and definately find consciousness one of the great mysteries of our existance. But I don't see a need to quickly explain it away with a "soul". You base it on nothing but a book and other people who share your belief, but have no real reason that can hold up outside of your own belief. Don't get me wrong, you may be right, but that's not good enough for me. I'm more content in not knowing than guessing.

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

notme2000,
    So you don't believe me just because I use a different word? What about if I use "cerebro" instead of "brain"? ("cerebro" is "brain" in Portugues, if you are wondering...). I don't understand why if I change my language, you change the idea that you have from it...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

No, it's a different idea. The soul is supposed to be eternal and can trancend this body, and maybe reality. Now this may be, but we don't know for sure. So I call it consciousness, cause all that is, is the reult of neurons in the brain, etc... It dies with the brain, and is much more influenced than the "pure soul" idea. I'm simply saying I'm not going to believe in an infinite "I" that lives on after my body, is unaffected by reality, is a gift from God, etc... While that may be the truth, I have no evidence stating so... You know you're "right" because you feel it deep down in your "heart". And I'm saying feeling isn't good enough for me. The heart you speak of is a part of the brain too... And it can be just as deceptive as any other part of the brain.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

No, the heart that I speak of has nothing to do with the brain.
    My idea (resumed, of course...

) is that we are life itself, we have a personal consciousness which defines ourselves and differes us from others, and that both continue to exist together even after death. However, I don't believe that death is a sunstance. It works kinda on this way: You are life, and you get out of your body (what we call death), so, your consious get out of your body too. Yeah... it's about that...

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I understand your concept and don't entirely dismiss it, I'm just coveying the difference between your version of conscioussness and heart from mine.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

and I'm doing the same...

14. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Notme if I had a nickel for every time you've said that...

TruthSeeker what brought you to believe in a soul or anything beyond for that matter? Experience or faith?

15. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I learn something every time I say that. Who is richer?

16. prozak Banned Banned

What makes you think emotions are polar values? Morality?

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm... I was thinking they're not neccessarily polar... maybe there's like three poles in something like emotion. Maybe it depends. It's likely just a labelling game anyway. Our emotions are somewhat defined by the words we use to describe them, thereby setting up whatever kind of relationships exist? I'm rambling again. I'll stop.

18. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Good point Prozak,
    Really, what difference is there between love and boredom? They are both just feelings experienced by us...

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Everything that we experience are simply what they are. When we judge them, we give them a positive or negative value. What actually happens is that we say that whatever hurt us is "negative" and whatever pleases us is "positive". Everything else (whatelse???) is "neutral". This is basically because of our instinct for survival and our fear of being hurt, which came from the world we were born in.

Besides, that's how the mind works. It can just work by comparisons...

20. amonkieslunch Registered Member

Fear is consern for ones own interests due to an emminent threat There for disinterest for ones own personal interests is the opposite of fear it is definatly not love for you can experience fear for the loss of one you love there for they can exist at the same time so can not be opposites

21. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

The opposite of fear is absolute indifference

22. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

The way to conquer fear ,is through positive, emotional intellectual,spritual and metaphysical thought patterns,love,truth,reality and reason..
    IXL:m:

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Love is far above this subject-object relationships...