What do you think about Classical Music?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Mar 22, 2002.

?

Do you like Classical Music?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I've been playing piano for almost 6 years. I evoluted from rock, passing through old musics such as "Over the Rainbow" and "Memory"... and now, since I'm 14, only Classical Music.

But...
    People in my age don't like very much Classical Music...
    Why we valorize musics that promotes violence and ignorance and forget the beauty of a good Classical Music?
    Any ideas...?

Love,
    Nelson

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Don H Registered Senior Member

I was a cellist most of my life. Although classical music does not always have an intellectual aspect it does not have an equivalent to gansta rap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Heavy metal gives me a headache.

Classic and pop-jazz makes me feel comfort.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. amfoxlady Registered Member

This is the sort of thing that depends on the person's taste in music.

In my case, I enjoy Classical music as a form of both appreciation and reference (helps develop my musical style in instrument playing)

Oh well, that's up to the individual to decide

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Regards,
    The Fox Lady

8. justagirl Registered Senior Member

smiles guys that can play the piano turn me on period and if it's classical all the better(it shows more talent)

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Good classical music is, mostly, too demanding for many people. They prefer to listen to music built on 4 or five chords and a drum machine than to make the effort to decipher Beethoven. It's also much easier, on the whole, to learn how to program a drum machine than to play the violin well.

Nevertheless, I am not a musical snob. Why restrict yourself to one genre of music? The fact is, there is good jazz, good classical music, good pop, good ragtime, good hip hop, etc. etc. We should not stay stuck in the eighteenth century; but equally, we should not pretend that it never happened, because there's an enormous legacy there which includes some of the best music ever written.

10. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

TRUTHSEEKER

I'm with you on this one.
    My friend Daniel can play piano like an angel and is "Bored" with doing so. I have a fairly good keyboard at home and when he comes round I beg him to play. I'm in awe so completely of anyone who has mastered an instrument to the point where they can play anything like I drive a car, (On automatic!)

But always it's a task to get him to agree.

I once heard him play a piece in a competition by Rachmaninov

Prelude in C sharp minor

Can you play this ? Do you know it?
    If not, find it, learn it and play it every day it makes me forget all of my negativity. I mean ALL of it!.

I like a lot of contempory classical music but this piece just blows me away.

You're much too young for drugs but later in life if you ever find pot have some; and then put your headphones on and listen as loudly as you can to carl Orffs Carmina Burana... Scary

respect

11. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Incidentally, and this is a sad fact..
    Our local police have recently started piping classical music into areas where street gangs congregate as a means to disuade said gangs from hanging around these places.

IT WORKS!

AH WELL

12. AmerEagle Registered Senior Member

The Rachmaninof Piece

I wouldn't think the Prelude you mentioned is competition music. He didn't win, did he? If so, I'll eat my words.

In my opinion you could soon learn to play that too, but he may feel it's more work than it's worth, too much reaching around for just a few chords. He may need some variety, reason you can't get him to play, happy fingers velocity pieces.

You could get yourself a Rachmaninoff CD that has that prelude on it and save your friend some drudgery. Does your city have a FYE store, where they take back a recording even if it's been opened if you decide you dont like?

If you take piano lessons, and/or violin, either way you need a book called Hanon. The Virtuoso Pianist. Complete if you're studying piano. Just the first of three books, five finger exercises if you're studying violin, as some of the exercises strengthen the weak 4th and 5th fingers of left hand, probably better than exercising the hand with a tennis ball. Your friend might enjoy playing in a group or in duets with you where he's not doing all the work all by himself.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2002
  13. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Music is all about communication, so if we have a broader means to communictae with today, we will probably get less focused. It's true that there are no popular musicians today that have the genious to compare anywhere near the Wagners and Brahmms of the past. It just so happens that today, singers and musicians are trying to be everything- as if the key to genious is inclusion. I wonder if this comes from a subconscious misgiving that we have no musical backround and not, to any degree, a musical drive.

I, too, listen to all types of music. I have CD's covering everything from Celine Dion to Duke Ellington to Camille Saint-Saens. That's why I'm a little jaded about what culture represents today- we no longer have a central unifying force. Our style, our music and our art is becoming increasingly retro, vintage, etc. The 'new' music trend is 'nu' soul. The beauty of classical muisc comes from its limits- it defines what it defines and never drifts to what people want their world to be defined by. It is still relevant today because the past is always more relevant than what has never happened.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

bbcboy,

Noooo!! I know it... and it's very hard...
    I tried once...
    Didin't worked very well...
    I stoped in the second or third line...

I'm not that good yet...

Sadly, people nowdays prefer decadent music with a stupid beat that never ends... like a clock for example, and in the letters are usually talking about drugs, violence and sex. No more different than any other media or kind of "entertainment" that our stupid society try to put inside our heads. The worst thing is that we have to swallow the fact that most of our children and teenagers are growing in this kind of detrimental environment. At leats I'm vomiting everything now...

AmerEagle,

You are wrong. I Love challenges! I just sleep bored with I have no challenge in music. For instance, I played Etude opus 10 no3 by Chopin in my third year in my recital...

Good call... I used Hanon for many years and I still use it sometimes...
    I don't like very much playing with other people... I've chosen piano because it's very independent...

Love,
    Nelson

15. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Sadly, people nowdays prefer decadent music with a stupid beat that never ends... like a clock for example, and in the letters are usually talking about drugs, violence and sex. No more different than any other media or kind of "entertainment" that our stupid society try to put inside our heads. The worst thing is that we have to swallow the fact that most of our children and teenagers are growing in this kind of detrimental environment.

Ya talk a lot of sense Nelson
    Speak soon

16. AmerEagle Registered Senior Member

Chopin Etude 3rd Year? Very Good!

That must be the etude from which they took "No Other Love"? I don't want to go pull out my book. The interlude parts are kind of similar to the Rachmaninoff Prelude, don't you think? And it's surely within your ability, since you like chords. Sounds like you're doing great. Do you have a fantastic teacher, from a university, even though you're not yet college age?

So what are you working on for this year's recital? If you might go professional, have you asked around big cities yet about going rates for a concerto with orchestra? I'd appreciate knowing, if you do, keeping informed, current.

Independent? You'll surely get over that. Pianists just have to learn to play a lot more notes than other musicians, and extra instruments in order to infiltrate where they may not have a good piano. I've always enjoyed groups, since kiddie-band. Also playing along with recordings, world-class orchestras, is how I learned piano concertos and chamber music piano parts, violin parts to all nine Beethoven symphonies. I played oboe in a community band, but had some lung problems, due to allergies. Violin and piano in some orchestras. To our cellist, did you ever play violin, cello and piano chamber music trio's? The Archduke, the Ghost?

You may really make it big time Truthseeker. I'd be interested in knowing how a male would head off corruption, which will probably be already defeated by the time you get there in the business, but in my opinion, this ought to make your prospects even more interesting.

"What if" there really were a Red Dawn, not obvious like in the movie but a subtle underground, and they knew you would be all-American, a resistor, tried to take over your life-career to get a foot in entertainment doors using you as a decoy?

It'll probably never happen to you and I'm just inventing a little game and a little rehearsal, bracing ourselves for "defeating evil" without being shocked and hurt if it ever does come up. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. AmerEagle

Last edited: Mar 28, 2002
  17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

AmerEagle,

Not anymore. When I was in Brazil, I had (if my memory doesn't fail...) the fith best pianist player in the world. His name is Joao Carlos Assis Brasil. Do you know him?

He plays "Scarbo" almost with his eyes closed...

Do you know "Scarbo"...?

Not big thing... After my first and only girlfriend broke with me after three days I became extremely sensible... I tried to play to some people a couple of times and I just can't control my hands and legs anymore...

They tremble and sometimes get stuck...
    The worse thing is that I'm playing in a Festival in some weeks and I still can't control myself. And on this Saturday, I'll be playing by memory "Arabesque no1" by Debussy and "Impromptu opus 90 no3" by Schubert. I got them memorized when I play alone... but when I play in public I start forgetting everything!

I'm even afraid of this Festival...

Something like that already happen in my life...

Thanks...

But I don't know if I'll have a carrear on that...
    Unless I can revive the Classical Music around the world...
    But then, I'll have to start composing Classical Music!
    I already do it... but I can't even write a sonate... imagine a Concert!

Yeah... kind similar to the WHOLE prelude. Something is play a music that has a hard part in the middle. Other is play a WHOLE hard music. Besides that... I was REALLY crazy those times... I don't have that patience and courage anymore... (I'm talking about courage to play it for people, not to try it...).

Sorry if I gave you expectations... but unless my problems get solved, I don't think I'll ever play professionally...
    My ex-girlfriend and I used to play piano together... and play piano by myself now, all alone... is almost a torture, when I remember us...

Love,
    Nelson

18. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I'm a bit of a fan of Tomasso Albinoni. Very cool stuff.

19. AmerEagle Registered Senior Member

Movie-Pianists TimBusfield,AmyIrving

Did anyone here happen to see the movie, can't remember the title, about two pianists in a competition, their troubled romance? He went into the competition only knowing one concerto, and I guess was runner-up, got into a bit of argument with the conductor about the tempo in one spot.

Which raises the question, who is more important, the soloist or the conductor?

St.John's Wort herbal mood elevator: If something really devastating happens, story of my life, I take just one, and the effect lasts for days, shock of whatever it was having worn off by then. Hang in there. AmerEagle

Last edited: Mar 29, 2002
  20. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

TRUTHSEEKER

Here's a tip for your recital.

Take some tissue and put add few drops of lavender, (Calming) Clary sage (Lit: Clear seeing) and rosemary
    (That's for rememberance) essential oils. T
    hese can be picked up quite cheaply these days.

Each time you practice place the tissue where you can smell it clearly, or even put them in a burner. Then when you're finished practice put it away.

Smell is the best trigger for memory, so when it's time to play for real just whip out the tissue.

It works I promise you.

I hope you do well

21. AmerEagle Registered Senior Member

BBCBoy, Hey, That's Good.

That's a trick I might try myself some time.

And to Truthseeker Nelson, I forgot to say, no, I never heard of the Brazilian teacher, sorry.

22. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

It's a really good method for swotting up for any exam and My nursing qualifications can testify to this. Plus a little Mahler to get me in the mood.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

bbcboy,

Thanks!

PS: Don't forget my party...

Love,
    Nelson