What do you like about Islam?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Mar 11, 2009.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Silly in the extreme. Refusing facts and blaming your refusal to acknowledge facts on a lack of blind faith is laughable.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Actually, the Bible describes a process of evolution, first earth, light, water, then plants, then animals, etc...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

That's right. If we killed ALL the Iraqis there wouldn't be such problems.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This thread is supposed to be about things people like about Islam. One thing that I think is very evident, is that any religion can be taken to extremes and can get easily out of control. There are individuals in Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm that are dangerous folks. But that does not mean we have to follow them.

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Oh. Good point. What do I like about Islam....

um...

They have some unique ideas on ammunition. They won't give a straight answer about the age or sex of those 72 virgins. They travel for miles to pray at a rock in the desert.

Wait. You mean what I like, but not because it's funny to me. Ok.

Islam gives millions of people a feeling of purpose.

Better?

10. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Westerners, especially media pundits who like to mock Islam, seem to think that this is part of the doctrine of Islam. This is not the case, the number 72 is never mentioned in the Quran and this business of supposed 72 virgins comes from an ancient, outdated tafsir. Naturally, some Orientalist propagandist must have dug up this quote from this book, and began propagating it as a tenet of Islam, to malign this great religion.

I personally was unaware of this, until I heard some commentators on Fox News preaching that Islam teaches that terrorists get these in paradise.

First of all, those who kill innocents can not even smell the fragrance of Paradise, let alone enter it [source: Bukhari].

Secondly, those who enter Paradise first are the martyrs, it is a mistranslation to deem them as terrorists. The status of martyr is distinct in the Islamic teaching, and it is an insult on ALL Muslims compare them to terrorists.

Thirdly, we must ask for what person is this being further perpetuated in the American media, even among those who supposedly are friendly to Muslims, i.e. Democrats. Naturally, I expect this hateful rhetoric from Republicans, who are mostly racists and wish nothing more than to curtail the rights of Muslims and Non-white, Non-Protestant people.

Obviously you don't understand the significance of the Kaaba. It is not the physical building, but the spiritual reason to unite Muslims in one direction to symbolize their obedience to God. Islam would still exist without the Kaaba, and has for more millions of years before the advent of Adam on Earth. Islam is an idea, it is not simply a physical manifestation of ritual and practices. Islam exists whether humans exist or not, as it is the law of the universe.

11. Bells Staff Member

Thanks DH. My 3 year old son was sitting down next to me, drawing, and he was looking at my screen as I scrolled down. Now I get to explain to my 3 year old why a girl has "blood and guts" for legs.

Next time you're going to post images that are that graphic in nature, post a god damn warning or post a link.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

At least you have the privilege of shutting the webpage. Its not a luxury available to Iraqi and Afghani children. Try explaining why a brother or sister has blood and guts from being an uncounted, unaccounted for collateral damage

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

how is islam maligned in the USA?

14. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

These images are part of our world, to ignore them is an injustice. How many countless children in the Muslim world have grown up seeing, not images, but real mutilated bodies?

I remember when I watched a program concerning an Afghani child who saw his brother murdered from the bombing of US airplanes, he carried his brothers body for days. Welcome to our world.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

of course it's different when muslims do it to their own people isn't it?
    don't even think about posting "what do you mean".

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like focusing on school shootings on 9/11. Pathetic.

Can you imagine the entire world ignoring 9/11 and instead expecting Americans to apologise for killing each other?

While the buildings were tumbling, people were dying? Making jokes about it? Mocking and demonising them?

Thats what Iraq and Afghanistan are. The cast aside, unmourned, uncounted. For seven years of daily 9/11s

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  17. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I'm talking about Afghanistan. Do you realize almost 100 innocent civilians are killed in aerial missile attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan EVERY MONTH. Last month a missile struck a school in Northern Pakistan killing 50 school children. How can you possibly defend this. Anyone who kills innocents is an enemy to humanity, and the NUMBER ONE source of our oppression are the American missiles, bombs, soldiers, and sanctions. Because an unknown assailant kills 3 people in a bazaar in Afghanistan, this doesn't excuse the murder of more than 100,000 civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan by the US military, my estimates are very conservative by the way.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

maybe if afghanistan had a respectable government others wouldn't be obliged to take up the fight. afghan opium fields are world renowned you know.

are you sure it's the US and not the UN?

19. Bells Staff Member

Yes, I do have the privilege of shutting down the browser. And yes, I am extremely lucky that my children do not have to experience mutilation and slaughter in their real lives. As a parent, I prefer to shield my children from such images and try like hell to maintain their innocence about evil in the world as much as possible. So yes, I am lucky I am not there.

Does that mean I should feel guilty that my children are not being bombed to and killed? No. I feel ashamed that it happens, but that does not mean that I want my children to have to see it and be traumatised by it. I would imagine that the family of that little girl, if they were in my shoes, would feel exactly the same.

Who is ignoring it? The world wants the world to end. That our politicians seem to not get that is vile. And there are some who think it is an inside job. Should the extremists who bomb their fellow Muslims apologise? Damn right they should, just as we should apologise each time we kill an innocent civilian or bomb a wedding or school or hospital. The extremists are murderers. Yes, our invading those countries allowed such extremists to take root. But if those extremists were even remotely human beings, they would not bomb innocent civilians who are trying to make do with lives that are already nightmarish from the war.. If those extremists cared about the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, they'd be trying to help them and not kill them. The people of those countries are under occupation from the West and also from Muslims who have their own agendas. It is shameful and god damn disgusting that we are there. But it is equally disgusting that the extremists are using the pain and suffering of others to further their own agenda, to the point where they are slaughtering innocent and suffering people by the dozen a day. So yeah, you're damn right they should apologise, just as we should apologise for what we have done to the civilians of those countries.

Some did. I think most of us remember the cheering that happened in some places of the world as those images were beamed out live. The gleeful clapping and laughter from some as those buildings came down.. the cheering and hooting of car horns as though it was something to rejoice and be happy over.

Ignoring it? No. I am not ignoring it. But I don't want my children to have to see it. I am well aware that there are children in the world who see that, experience that, and worse. My children have been through enough these past few months, so much so that their safe lives have been shattered and they are floundering and trying to make sense of what has happened to them. While their lives and what they have experienced has not been even remotely similar to what the children in Afghanistan have had to endure, you'll excuse me if I choose to not have my children viewing such images to traumatise them further. They are too young to understand what that image is. They are to young to understand war and what happens in war. It is not tantamount to them "ignoring" it. It is basically me trying to keep their innocence for as long as I possibly can.

"Our world"? No. That is not the world of my children and for that I shall be forever grateful. That it is the world of children around the world is devastating. But I would prefer to not continue the devastation by having my children traumatised by it.

20. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

"Your" world needs to be cleaned with explosives. Stupid kid. "There's mines over there!" "Okay!" BOOM! "Told you so, stupid!"

Let's go babylonian empire on the arabs and relocate the lot of them.

I thought a "suicide" bomber WAS a martyr in their own eyes. No?

21. Roman Banned Banned

I like the terrorism.

22. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Do you like to be terrorized? :shrug:

What do I like about Islam? It's like asking 'what do I like about eating 3 times a day'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. It's not that I like, it has become a need. Praying 5 times a day, fasting a minimum of 30 days a year, paying zakat, etc, are not something I like, but I need. I can't miss them, if I skip them once, it disturbs me (I feel guilty whole day).

That is after I become a muslim. Before I am become a muslim, what interested me was the teaching values, for example about riba (a forbidden act of eating money that doesn't belong to me). Here in Germany, I save my money in bank, and then bank gives me annual interest. My dad told me this money (the interest money) is not belong to me, so I had to 'remove' it from my account. It's not like zakat where we had to pay a certain percent of our income per year to the mosque and then the mosque will distribute it to others. This one that comes from bank interest has to be removed, wherever I want. My dad said, just dont keep it in bank, because then it would be added into the capital by the bank and further increase the interest. This was something new for me and I found this a bit stupid but acceptable. As the money has no use to be stored at home (because I couldn't use it), I decided to give it somewhere. I remember holding few pieces of 10 euro money last year and stood up in the christmas market. An old man with his dog asked me if I have 50 cent and then I gave him 10 Euro, and he was like

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. It was one of my happiest moment!

23. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

As a side note, of course one doesn't have to be muslim or religious to do charity. Everyone can do, in their own way, according to their own need and ability. For me it just makes the whole thing easier, as I have fixed amount which I should separate from my budget.