What do we really mean by "God"?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Magical Realist, Oct 7, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

My experience with theists is quite different, as I mentioned before - not exactly rosy. But while many people whom I've talked to about this, theists and atheists alike, tend to conclude that the skeptical way I think about theism mostly has to do with my negative experiences with theists, I myself don't think it does. I think that my idea that theism is a highly elitist, exclusivist endeavor is grounded primarily in considerations of religious epistemology as such. (And strictly speaking, the theists actually agree with me on this.)

Preachers and leaders of spiritual/religious organizations certainly expect us to trust them unconditionally (even if they sometimes say that they don't expect us to do so).

I was referring to non-theists; non-theists indeed have nobody else to rely on for input on the topic of GOD except theists. Other than God Himself, that is, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on that possibility.

Exactly. Which is why, as far as the anticipation of personal divine revelation goes, there is the issue of how to make sense of something that is confirmed by nobody else but oneself. Idiosyncratic notions of belief in God seem to be difficult to maintain in the long run.

Come to think of it - what is there to verify?

God isn't like the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus.
    With the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus, children actually have good reason to believe they are true, given that the child can observe a relatively stable cause and effect relationship attributed to the being (ie. the child puts a tooth under the pillow and the next morning the tooth is gone and there is money instead of it; or the child desires a particular gift, and she receives it) and the phenomenon is explained to them by people they trust (ie. their parents).

When it comes to God, what relatively stable cause and effect relationship can one observe?

And the people who talk to us (non-theists) on the topic of GOD - it can hardly be said there per default exists a relationship of trust there.

When it comes to theism, I can't think of anything that could be subject to verification.
    Trying to verify whether Jesus is the Son of God or whether he indeed rose from the dead, or whether Mohammad is God's prophet, or whether Vishnu has ten avatars per cycle, and such -- I don't see how it would make sense to set out to try to verify any of that.

What about the traditional theistic religious could be subject to verification?
    What did you have in mind when you said "nothing that even remotely verifies any of the traditional theistic religions" ?

I suppose my eagerness to find out "the truth about God" may be in part motivated by my early experiences with theists. From early on, I was categorically excluded from the theistic community in which I nevertheless lived (the kind of thing that can happen to children that are not baptized but live among Christians). I've always wanted to understand why the Christians stigmatized me so, but could never fathom the matter, and envied them.

To me too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.