What do atheists think that "to know God" means?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

Is LG trying to say that euthanasia is immoral? If so, I'd love to hear an explanation as to why.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

not really on topic - atm we are just trying to get grumpy to concede that there are inherent problems of the material world - starts about post 547 on this thread

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then you have seemingly come to terms with questions you posed earlier

Me : IOW it doesn't really identify the inherent problems of material existence.

You : What inherent problems? I think you are seeing problems that just do not exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

One ought to count oneself lucky than one has come in contact with the Dharma and that one can practice in line with the Dharma.
    There are people who either suffer so much, or who are so overwhelmed with pleasure that they can't practice the Dharma nor have any Dharmic desires.

8. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

lightgigantic

What's your point? You've gone on and on about this question. Of course there are problems in life, but you have nothing that can do a thing about them. And you were born, you will get old, you probably will get sick and then you will die, forever. Then they will bury you and you will rot. It will be as if you never existed in a few decades.

Grumpy

9. Balerion Banned Banned

So in other words you can't support your assertion?

Figures.

Oh, and you'll never get Grumpy to concede anything. You'll see LG concede a point before you see Grumpy...wait a second...

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How do you know that?

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Wow - this ol' chestnut.

If your argument is that there are problems inherent in the interaction between "life" and the (rest of the) material world then you may be correct.

But again I will chip in: the material world itself has no inherent problems: problems are a subjective interpretation of a situation, and are from the perspective of an aware life-form (i.e. require material to interact with "life") and not the material world per se.

So please be more precise in your wording, as the implication of your current wording suggests you hold material itself to have inherent problems.
    Unless, of course, this is what you meant - in which case please describe the problem inherent in a universe that is devoid of life?

And if it becomes evident that it is not material per se that has problems, one is left to conclude that it is either life that has inherent problems (is there a place devoid of matter but with life with which to test this scenario?) or it is the interactions between life and (the rest of) matter that have inherent problems.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think you knew precisely what I was talking about the first time you brought this up

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually the case is that I never made that assertion (at least in this thread) - its more of something Grumpy decided to move the subject to since he ended up conceding that material existence does have inherent problems

:shrug:

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Arioch :However a better question would be this, what marked differences are there between scientology and christianity? How do they differ in the fundamentals?

Me :Not too expert in scientology but I would say off the cuff that scientology doesn't really have anything to say about the ultimate nature of existence ( the role of the living entity, the role of the phenomenal world, the role of god .... and the interaction of all these three.) It seems that scientology is mostly about psychic phenomena ... kind of like "how to win friends and influence people" mixed in with reincarnation.

IOW it doesn't really identify the inherent problems of material existence.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2922128&postcount=546

15. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

And you thought wrong - which is why I asked... and am also asking here.
    Please can you now respond to my post (#588)?

16. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@LG --

And christianity does identify the "inherent problems" of this world? LOL! Don't make me laugh. It may identify some of them because it causes them, but christian belief is focused almost exclusively on the next world, not this one.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Who said anything about Christianity?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I'm not so sure about that.
    Why do you think he did?

19. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

lightgigantic

Since we can only evidence two of these and science has much to say about them it is left to you to evidence god. We'll be waiting(probably forever).

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Go back to where you brought it up last time if your really want a refresher on your topic

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

regardless of what you think, I was talking about the distinction between scientology and conventional religion/christianity

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

meanwhile your molars rot .....
    :shrug:

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member