What defines you as "you"?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You just make this shit up, don't you? What the hell is a quantum particle and why would you assign these magical, mystical properties too it?

P.S. The three previous posts to yours were excellent answers and I like(d) them all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

Well yea, I kind of was being a little lazy there when I typed that...I was trying to give a quick and concise answer but it didn't really work.. I've given more complete answers to this same question before and I didn't feel like typing a whole essay in order to be understood...so yea, your criticism is well founded...

Are the three previous post you allude to related to this topic? (Never mind, I see that they couldn't be as I posted on this topic long ago)

In a nutshell, my own hypothesis is that identity is somehow related to physical matter. Matter is the seat of our identity. And the more specific our identity, as in individual awareness, the more specific that matter our identity is seated in....Unfortunately, it will be very difficult to pinpoint exactly where in our physical makeup a person's identity spawns from. And by identity i don't mean a person's memories or personality but only that we each have a unique I.D. of awareness rooted in a specific piece of matter that, when integrated with other matter to form a conscious life form explains why it is 'us" that is conscious instead of someone else.

I should add a footnote: I don't pretend to be as scientifically literate as some of the members of this forum are...which I have a tremendous amount of respect for that they have gotten so far in the field and/or in knowledge.....so if my posts fall short at any time it's not because I am trying to feign being on an equal footing with some of the intelligent and knowledgeable posters here...I'm doing the best I can coming from a loud family life that wasn't the most conducive to learning and/or mastering science...lol. How Howard Wolowitz did it, I'll never know...

I don't want anyone to make the mistake of thinking that I am someone with any kind of deep knowledge of the scientific jargon, material or formulas behind any of the science topics based on some of my more "successful" posts......I'm just a more than casual consumer of science who sometimes has, I'd like to think, a unique question or hypothesis here and there that could maybe play a small support role to the real explorers of science who know how to go about answering such questions and confirming or disproving such hypotheses...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Order. Your number is also your nature.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.