What defines you as "you"?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

And I meant 'tell' not 'tel' above. Maybe my L key sticks. I wish I could edit mistakes that I miss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank that the cells are replaced wit perty good duplicates so the memories cary on... but biological copies of copies can get a bit fuzzy after a while;;; digital copies coud be dam near perfect tho.!!!

Do you thank human memories are somethin more than biological.???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

I don't know. That's what I'm asking. Your explanation is good, but are those the received scientific facts? Maybe someone could explain ho memories are recorded and preserved.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Any explination in answr to you'r specific queston will prolly be more theory than scientific fact.!!!

Edit:::

Check you'r post for errors before the "Edit" buton goes away... im not sure how many minutes you have... but if you'r to late an its a serous error... send Enmos a "conversation" an he will fix it for you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit:::
    I did this Edit 30 nmjnutes after i posted my post.!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  8. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Thirty nmjnutes! Do tell! Well, that ought to be long enough.

Thank you.

9. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

I tried debating such a question with a friend of mine: I was arguing that had I been born many years ago and lived in a cave my "quality" of life would be just as good. He began shouting at me saying I didn't live in a cave. Yes, that's Cavey for you.

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Wit out knowin more details aboout that cave environment... how sure can you be that you'r quality of life woud be just as good.???

11. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Does the cave have wi-fi?

12. danshawen Valued Senior Member

The editor function has been like that lately. Not to worry; we get the right meaning.

It's a miracle for sure (collectively). "Not so much" refers only to the part of the miracle that is yours truly. Too soon old; too late wise. My obsessions were anything but social, and that's actually kind of embarrassing when one finally comes to this realization. I realize, it didn't quite sound like this is what I was trying to say.

The overall effect of the social adaptation is awesome in terms of what a human community can do. Each individual specializes and attacks a problem or a condition from a different direction, and all benefit when one approach to a problem succeeds. This is life doing what it does best, in the most efficient way possible, and human communities increasingly accomplish more miracles with a collective cognition that is still trending upward.

13. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Do I need one?

14. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

You're absolutely right, but you were the one asking me to reply.
    I was just pointing out that I didn't really have anything to reply with. I have vague, nebulous thoughts, and little more on the subject.

I suppose I tend to refrain from comment until I know something about something. Or, of course, I'm completely drunk and in the mood to take a baseball bat to something.
    It's stupidity I loathe, not ideas.

If it's worth anything at all, I re-read the next morning (I do that, because most of the time I remember being here but have no idea what I've written) and spent quite a significant amount of time trying to figure out why "it hurt".
    I remember it did; but I don't remember why. That was a strange one, I must say.

Alcohol removes inhibitions. It doesn't, however, lend itself to clarity of thought, particularly not when trying to recap the night before.
    Awful lot of fun though.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

In regards to the nature of memory, MIT recently discovered that memories go down all the way to the individual neuron (or neuron cluster?) level. This takes us back to the old engram theory and the once scoffed at implication that there's a "grandmother neuron" that we remember her by.

"MIT researchers have shown, for the first time ever, that memories are stored in specific brain cells. By triggering a small cluster of neurons, the researchers were able to force the subject to recall a specific memory. By removing these neurons, the subject would lose that memory.

As you can imagine, the trick here is activating individual neurons, which are incredibly small and not really the kind of thing you can attach electrodes to. To do this, the researchers used optogenetics, a bleeding edge sphere of science that involves the genetic manipulation of cells so that they’re sensitive to light. These modified cells are then triggered using lasers; you drill a hole through the subject’s skull and point the laser at a small cluster of neurons.

Now, just to temper your excitement, we should note that MIT’s subjects in this case aremice — but it’s very, very likely that the human brain functions in the same way. To perform this experiment, though, MIT had to breed genetically engineered mice with optogenetic neurons — and we’re a long, long way off breeding humans with optogenetic brains.

In the experiment, MIT gave mice an electric shock to create a fear memory in the hippocampus region of the brain (pictured above) — and then later, using laser light, activated the neurons where the memory was stored. The mice “quickly entered a defensive, immobile crouch,” strongly suggesting the fear memory was being recalled.

The main significance here is that we finally have proof that memories (engrams, in neuropsychology speak) are physical rather than conceptual. We now know that, as inEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, specific memories could be erased. It also gives us further insight into degenerative diseases and psychiatric disorders, which are mostly caused by the (faulty) interaction of neurons. “The more we know about the moving pieces that make up our brains,” says Steve Ramirez, co-author of the paper. “The better equipped we are to figure out what happens when brain pieces break down.”

Bear in mind, too, that this research follows on from MIT’s discovery last year of Npas4, the gene that controls the formation of memories; without Npas4, you cannot remember anything. MIT has successfully bred mice without the Npas4 gene.

The question now, though, is how memories are actually encoded — can we programmatically create new memories and thus learn entire subjects by inserting a laser into our brain? We know that a cluster of neurons firing can trigger the memory of your first kiss — but why? How can 100 (or 100,000) neurons, firing in a specific order, conjure up a beautifully detailed image of an elephant? We’ve already worked out how images are encoded by the optic nerve, so hopefully MIT isn’t too far away from finding out."====http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/123485-mit-discovers-the-location-of-memories-individual-neurons

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I think there's a common misconception that alcohol somehow makes us MORE ourselves. That it removes inhibitions thereby letting the real you come to the surface. I disagree. I find I'm NOT myself so much when I'm intoxicated. I have no sense of tact. I have an exaggerated sense of being funny and witty. I'm overly romantic and poetic. And I lose the ability to rationally monitor my own words and impulses. I've posted here while intoxicated a few times. And more often than not the next morning there are posts here I wish I could delete.

18. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Me too. I don't delete them, though.

But getting back to the original point, what is it that makes you think that all of those things you've mentioned above aren't you?

To clarify, that I occasionally am tempted to delete the things I wish I hadn't said doesn't make them "untrue".
    Badly worded, sometimes. Terminology somewhat lacking, tact often completely absent without leave. Out of bounds where societal norms are concerned, and therein lies the concept of self-preservation.
    But are they not there, in you?

And if not, where would you surmise these things you say which aren't "you" actually come from, after a few drinks?

Remember, inhibitions are exactly that. Sometimes, you don't even realise they're there. Don't confuse what you are with what you choose to believe you are.

19. river

ATTITUDE

20. Jennings Registered Member

Well i think what defines me as me, or anyone as anyone depends on the frame of reference.

Scientifically speaking were are just pieces of matter. We humans are just the pieces of matter with complex organ systems that enable us to perform tasks that most other pieces of matter cannot do. Thats really it. Were just matter-energy.

But from a religious point of view, we have no souls. Nobody has a soul. We ARE the souls. We are souls which have a piece of matter that is our body.

Which leads me to believe that all matter is possesed by a soul, but the soul is only able to express itself in the context of the matter that it possesses.

Isnt that such a beautiful thing. I just thought of it right now.

Landau Roof likes this.
  21. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Well, I went to the doctor
    I said, "I'm feeling kind of rough"
    "Let me break it to you, son
    Your shit's fucked up"
    I said, "My shit's fucked up?
    Well I don't see how"
    He said, "The shit that used to work
    It won't work now"

Warren Zevon - Your shit's fucked up

Landau Roof likes this.
  22. wellwisher Banned Banned

What makes us, us is connected to our long term memory. Long term memory records the most important things we are conscious of, in terms of our unique POV. This long memory is not static, but we continue to add to it, while it changes with time; time heals all wounds. Because of this changing nature of memory, those personal memories which are more important,will be renewed, periodically, while others are left to change, thereby altering the grid in terms of the sequence of time; renewal. One person may relive a bad experience, day after day, so it appears in the present, while others may relive a glory day certain times of the year; anniversary.

This evolving memory grid also acts as a filter to perception, and impacts how we perceive real time reality data coming into the sensory systems. This filtration evolves and impacts how new memory is stored. For example, say you hate a political candidate, this will impact how you listen to what they have say, and what you get out of it. What you remember may not be what they mean, but what you assume they mean. If they do something commendable, this may not be stored as a good thing due to resentment. The result is unconscious memory that is true to reality, but stored separately from conscious memory that is filtered biased. This polarization creates it own unconscious filter dynamics.

Who we are is that unique combinations of dynamic memory, both conscious and unconscious, that is unique to our unique place in space and time, storing and filtering hard reality in our own image, while continuing the change with stages of life. The soul is that unique dynamic grid we each have.

Landau Roof likes this.
  23. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

I think I can be stripped of everything, even my physical body, but as long as a quantum particle of me remains it's still me.