What country has the most advanced civilization?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

confusing. Please explain

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

i edited it and pasted some of the websites explainations, because its tricky to understand.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

oh I get it it is saying ARabs are the most important, oh well that was obvious

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. stu43t Valued Senior Member

The Police in he UK dont carry guns

Hmmm, maybe the UK can learn something from Japan here

I'll vote for Tasmania

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. COPE2 COMUNIST Registered Senior Member

i am american so obviously i know nothing about other countries, so i will just speak about america. i know for a fact that usa has the most advanced military, universities, medical technology, and technology in general. I have heard japan mentioned a few times regarding technology, but i cant think of too many things theyve made that i am using. however if you look at technologies i am using, i can safely say that they are american, such as gps, google, iphone, credit cards, ipod, cell phones, intel procesor, windows operating system. my mother board was made in china.

9. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

The Netherlands and Singapore are two interesting nations but I doubt they are the correct answer to the question what nation is the most advanced. I suspect that every nation is pitiful and pathetic when compared my hopes for our species.

What is advanced?

What is the point of wealth? What is the point of intelligence? What is the point of freedom? What is the point of security? What is the point of military power? What is the point of physical healthiness. What is the point of mental healthiness and what is mental healthiness? What is the point of tradition? What is the point of social discipline and self discipline. What is the point of tolerance? What is the point of courage. What is the point of sexual liberation. What is the point of Art and Beauty? What is the point of truth?

All those qualities seem to be means to an ends rather than the ultimate goal.

Some say the point is to serve god. Some say the point is to make babies or survival of the fittest. Some say the point is for humans to evolve to something more advanced in the future but that leads back to the question "what is advanced".

Maximum happiness for all seems to make some sense. Advanced might be which society is happiest now or which society is doing the most to create future happiness everywhere.

What nation has the happiest people on earth now and what is that nation doing right to create that happiness?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  10. Doreen Valued Senior Member

We would need to know what advanced means. To know this we would need to know some ultimate answers, at the very least about our own natures, but probably about the universe also. If there is a God, this would affect the answers, quite likely anyway, for example. If there is reincarnation, this would affect the answers. If nature is really just complicated chemical machinery some cultures are really out to lunch. If it is vastly more than modern science has so far verified, many civilizations are primitive and barbaric.

11. superstring01 Moderator

The Netherlands. Pound for pound, they export more than any other nation. They have a top-notch, well organized country and high degree of freedom. Japan may come close, but the Netherlands has more individual freedom and less clan/family obsession, which is sorta' primative. Also, the Netherlands (despite some loud voices to the contrary) is FAR more egalitarian in the treatment of other races (the Japanese have a horrid track record), women, gays and other sundry suspect classes.

~String

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Okay...

Um, if you don't know anything about about other countries how do you know for a fact the USA is the most advanced?
    :shrug:

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Because he has absolutely no evidence that anything else is more advanced. Anyway it's a known fact in the use that the superlative is not comparative, so you don't need to know about anywhere else to claim it.

14. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I think we can safely say that the USA has the most advanced military in the world but I hope that is not our standard for advancement. On a per capita basis Israel probably has the most advanced military.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would consider advanced civilisation to be one where people are willing to accept that other people can have different opinions on the same issue.

I don't think at present, any "civilisation" qualifies, but as Gandhi said, it would be a good idea.

For now, every country in the world has rigid laws about many nonviolent, noncriminal acts

16. kira Valued Senior Member

An advanced civilization probably refers to the most developed civilization. One indicator for this is HDI (Human Development Index) which is published by the UN every year.

As per 2009, the country with the highest development level is Norway:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

It may refer to that and it was interesting data: but should it refer to that. For example. Let's say that the people with nature based religions are correct. That their fundamental assumptions about how to relate to each other and nature are correct. Are they less advanced because more effectively warlike civilizations have come and stripped their lands?

I don't see how an objective determination can be made here, unless one is sure about some pretty profound truths or their impossibility.

18. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

19. kira Valued Senior Member

No, it does not have to refer to that

. I only use that, because the result of the study is available and it was published by a competent organization.

In my personal view, the most advanced civilization is the one that is ahead of everyone in advanced technologies, such as spaceflight, nanotechnology, genetic engineering, and many other advanced technologies. However, I haven't found any comprehensive study which compares such achievement among countries. If I should make a wild guess, it's probably USA or Japan.

As a side note, the HDI ranks which published by the UN, was calculated based on these indicators:

Indicators - Human Development Report 2009

A C E F G H I L M N O P R S T U W Y

A
    Adult illiteracy rate (% aged 15 and above)
    Adult literacy rate (% aged 15 and above)
    Annual growth rate of GDP per capita (%)
    Annual rate of growth in international migrant stocks (%)
    Annual rate of natural increase of the population (%)
    Asylum seekers by country of asylum (thousands)
    Asylum seekers by country of origin (thousands)
    Average annual change in consumer price index (%)

C
    Child dependency ratio
    Children underweight for age (% under age 5)
    Combined gross enrolment ratio in education (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Africa (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Asia (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Europe (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Latin America and the Caribbean (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Northern America (%)
    Countries' shares of total stock of migrants in Oceania (%)

E
    Earned income (estimated), ratio of female to male
    Education index
    Emigration rate (%)

F
    Female adult literacy rate (% aged 15 and above)
    Female combined gross enrolment ratio (%)
    Female estimated earned income (PPP US$)
    Female life expectancy at birth (years)
    Female share of international migrant stocks (%)

G
    GDI rank
    GDI value
    GDI value as a percentage of HDI value
    GDP index
    GDP per capita (PPP US$)
    GDP per capita (PPP US$) rank minus HDI rank
    GDP per capita (PPP US$), year of highest value
    GDP per capita (US$)
    Gender empowerment measure (GEM) rank
    Gender empowerment measure (GEM) value
    Gini index
    Government expenditure on health as a percentage of total government expenditure
    Government expenditure on health per capita (PPP US$)

H
    HDI rank minus GDI rank
    Healthy life expectancy at birth (years)
    HPI-1 rank minus income poverty rank
    HPI-2 rank minus income poverty rank
    Human development index trends
    Human development index value
    Human poverty index (HPI-1) rank
    Human Poverty Index (HPI-1) value (%)
    Human poverty index (HPI-2) rank
    Human poverty index (HPI-2) value (%)

I
    Income/expenditure share of the richest 10% of the population (%)
    Internal migrant stocks (thousands)
    Internally displaced people (thousands)
    International migrant stocks (thousands)
    International migrants as a percentage of total population
    International movement rate (%)

L
    Labour force participation rate of international migrants in OECD countries (%)
    Legislators, senior officials and managers (% female)
    Life expectancy at birth (years)
    Life expectancy index
    Life time internal migration rate (%)
    Long-term annual growth rate in HDI (%)
    Long-term unemployment rate (% of labour force)

M
    Male adult literacy rate (% aged 15 and above)
    Male combined gross enrolment ratio (%)
    Male estimated earned income (PPP US$)
    Male life expectancy at birth (years)
    Medium-term annual growth rate in HDI (%)

N
    Net international migration rate (%)

O
    ODA per capita (US$)
    Old age dependency ratio

P
    People in refugee-like situations by country of asylum (thousands)
    People in refugee-like situations by country of origin (thousands)
    People lacking functional literacy skills (% aged 16-65)
    Percentage of adults with high educational attainment levels (% aged 25 and above)
    Percentage of adults with low educational attainment levels (% aged 25 and above)
    Percentage of adults with medium educational attainment levels (% aged 25 and above)
    Percentage of international migrants aged 15 years and above in OECD countries with less than upper secondary education
    Percentage of international migrants aged 15 years and above in OECD countries with tertiary education
    Percentage of international migrants aged 15 years and above in OECD countries with upper secondary or post-secondary non-tertiary education
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Africa
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Asia
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Europe
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Latin America and the Caribbean
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Northern America
    Percentage of remittance inflows by continent of origin - Oceania
    Percentage of total aid allocated to social sectors (gross disbursements)
    Population living below $1.25 a day (%)
    Population living below $2 a day (%)
    Population living below 50% of median income (%)
    Population living below the national poverty line (%)
    Population not using an improved water source (%)
    Probability at birth of not surviving to age 40 (% of cohort)
    Probability at birth of not surviving to age 60 (% of cohort)
    Professional and technical workers (% female)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Africa (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Asia (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in countries with high levels of human development (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in countries with low levels of human development (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in countries with medium levels of human development (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in countries with very high levels of human development (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Europe (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Latin America and the Caribbean (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Northern America (%)
    Proportion of international migrant stocks residing in Oceania (%)
    Public current expenditure on primary education per pupil (PPP US$)
    Public expenditure on education as a percentage of total government expenditure

R
    Ratio of remittance inflows to FDI
    Ratio of the richest 10% to the poorest 10%
    Real change in ranks
    Refugees by country of asylum (thousands)
    Refugees by country of asylum as a percentage of international immigrants
    Refugees by country of asylum as a percentage of world refugees
    Refugees by country of origin (thousands)
    Refugees by country of origin as a percentage of international emigrants
    Refugees by country of origin as a percentage of world refugees
    Remittance inflows (US$ millions)
    Remittance inflows as a % of GDP
    Remittance inflows as a % of ODA
    Remittance inflows per capita (US$)
    Remittance outflows (US$ millions)
    Remittance outflows per international migrant (US$)
    Revised HDI rank

S
    Seats in parliament (% held by women)
    Short-term annual growth rate in HDI (%)
    Stock of international migrants aged 15 years and above in OECD countries (thousands)

T
    Tertiary emigration rate to OECD countries (%)
    Total fertility rate (births per woman)
    Total GDP (PPP US$ billions)
    Total GDP (US$ billions)
    Total population (millions)

U
    Under 5 mortality rate for children of mothers with at least secondary education (per 1,000 live births)
    Under 5 mortality rate in the highest quintile of wealth (per 1,000 live births)
    Unemployment rate of international migrants in OECD countries (%)
    Unemployment rate of international migrants in OECD countries with less than upper secondary education (%)
    Unemployment rate of international migrants in OECD countries with tertiary education (%)
    Unemployment rate of international migrants in OECD countries with upper secondary or post-secondary non-tertiary education (%)
    Unhealthy life expectancy (%)
    Urban share of the population (%)

W
    Women in ministerial positions (% of positions)

Y
    Year in which a woman became Speaker or Presiding Officer of parliament or of one of its houses for the first time
    Year of ratification of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
    Year of ratification of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
    Year of ratification of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
    Year of ratification of the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees
    Year of ratification of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
    Year of ratification of the International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families
    Year of ratification of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
    Year of ratification of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
    Year of ratification of the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children, supplementing the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime
    Year women received the right to stand for election
    Year women received the right to vote

20. kira Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the link. That's a very interesting index!

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

And I see these cultures as very, very clever but primitive and dangerous.

22. kira Valued Senior Member

? Clever and dangerous, probably, but how are they primitive?

23. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Look at the way problem solving is approached. It is often short term focused rather than long term and takes into account coarse newtonian effects without regard to sublter and ecological effects. (by ecological I do mean nature, but actually want the term to mean something more abstract. Taking into account the complex very hard to track interrelationships on system levels. I see ignorance of this in anything from cancer treatment to foreign policy to gene modification to.....etc. Problems are generally seen as monads that can be simply sliced out or destroyed and solutions are seen as things that only have the effects we intend them to have. To me this is primitive thinking, not that groups who are generally referred to as primitive necessarily were.)