What country has the most advanced civilization?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. An advanced society should have societal integrity. A good police and military. Stability is important but so is social mobility for all or the majority of its citizens. A fluid exchange of ideas and openess to change. It should be advanced in several of the sciences and preferably several of the arts as well. It should have a good quantity of public works. it should also encourage its citizens to plan and prepare for the future. A society should also be judged for how it treats its weakest and most helpless. America comes out high in several of these areas but does poorly in some of them. I an american would vote for Japan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and I think an advanced society doesn't need police or a military.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Japanese culture blatantly contradicts half of those criteria. Try again.

Police and some level of military are a requirement you can't really get away from. Normal people turn nuts. There will always be somebody trying to deceive and steal. People will be people and do things that come naturally.

I don't think there is one country that stands out above the rest. They all have their pros and cons. I'd cherrypick different parts of different countries to make an ideal one, if I could.

It's also a subjective question. Everybody has their own ideas and certain things they value over others.

Anyway, John J. Bannan, what country do you pick?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ok I agree that no one country meets all the criteria. I also say that those are not the only criteria. I defend my statement saying that a police and military are necessary because there are always wolves waiting to attack sheep that is why there have to be shepards. It would be nice if there was a perfectly run civilization but that is imppssible. A military will always be necessary to protect against exterior aggression. Police might become unneeded in a sufficiently advanced society but not any one currently existing.

8. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If peaceful aliens landed on this planet, which country would you want them to land on? What country is the best example of mankind - the most advanced? If you wanted to give aliens that best impression of us, where would you want them to land? Probably France.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How sad is it that its not America?? And it isn't.

If they are peaceful aliens, I say Iceland or another Scandanavian country. They take care of the piece of the planet they have. They show real stewardship and a peaceful nature.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If they are aliens they are better off landing in a place where they will be looked on as a wonder of nature and not as a giant WMD. India is a good option. We like our aliens.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Aliens Building Base in Himalayan Mountains

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I think California, considered on its own, has a reasonably strong case. Silicon Valley. Hollywood. And according to this ranking, 6 of the world's top 100 universities (Only 8 universities outside the USA make the list - 3 in the UK, 3 in Canada, 1 in Switzerland, 1 in Norway).

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

15. I-Am-Invisible sick of it all. Registered Senior Member

yay for switzerland =)

although skandinavian countrys are cool...

but then again in switzerland i can buy beer when 16, in skandinavia legal age for buying alkohol is 21 right?

so i vote for switzerland

"kommt im morgenrot daher,
    seh ich dich im strahlenmeer..." *sing*

16. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

The problem with Japan is that they are still relatively primitive in their views towards women. Ousiders will not readily see this but its there, thats partly why most japanese girls are very shy. Older people also have automatical right of way in Japan, and the press and media is not exactly free. To me, different countries are advanced in different areas, but if I have to pick an all round draft pick, I'd say the U.S.

Food and drink- France (they led the fucking renessaisance along with Italy and they have a "live and lets live" reputation)
    Engineering and infrastructure- Japan/Germany
    culture, common rights, politics, defense- U.S (plus they have a "suave sophistication" reputation)
    Finance- all developed nations
    Beer- Germany (tied with Holland)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  17. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

Meh America i wouldent say like the u.k just to much crime and coruption,if you're speaking technology i would say japan but if your talking crime i mean low crime canada.

18. superstring01 Moderator

No. Britain and Japan run circles around Canada.

~String

19. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

i mean cuase of there low crime that was it.

20. superstring01 Moderator

I was referring to that very comment.

After looking at statistics, I realize that the UK doesn't run circles around Canada (though it DOES beat Canada, but a smidge)... but Japan certainly does:

Crime Rates

~String

21. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Film and entertainment- U.S (though opinionated)
    Sci & Tech- U.S/ Germany / Japan (Germany produced more famous scientists than others)
    Aerospace technology and exploration- U.S
    Enviromental friendliness - Third world countries

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

civilization would be social and technological

defintely the Middle East. It created civilization!

23. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

here's an interesting finding of the "world values survey".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/ (name of survey)

http://margaux.grandvinum.se/SebTest/wvs/SebTest/wvs/articles/folder_published/article_base_54

On the Y axis (going up) it plots results from questions designed to measure whether values were "traditional" (e.g. religious), or secular-rational (based on science, rationality).
    "The Traditional/Secular-rational values dimension reflects the contrast between societies in which religion is very important and those in which it is not. A wide range of other orientations are closely linked with this dimension. Societies near the traditional pole emphasize the importance of parent-child ties and deference to authority, along with absolute standards and traditional family values, and reject divorce, abortion, euthanasia, and suicide. These societies have high levels of national pride, and a nationalistic outlook. Societies with secular-rational values have the opposite preferences on all of these topics."

On the X axis (left to right) it basically shows wealth, or affluence, and the result wealth has on values, i'll just paste:
    "The second major dimension of cross-cultural variation is linked with the transition from industrial society to post-industrial societies-which brings a polarization between Survival and Self-expression values. The unprecedented wealth that has accumulated in advanced societies during the past generation means that an increasing share of the population has grown up taking survival for granted. Thus, priorities have shifted from an overwhelming emphasis on economic and physical security toward an increasing emphasis on subjective well-being, self-expression and quality of life.....
    ....Self-expression values give high priority to environmental protection, tolerance of diversity and rising demands for participation in decision making in economic and political life. These values also reflect mass polarization over tolerance of outgroups, including foreigners, gays and lesbians and gender equality. The shift from survival values to self-expression values also includes a shift in child-rearing values, from emphasis on hard work toward emphasis on imagination and tolerance as important values to teach a child. And it goes with a rising sense of subjective well-being that is conducive to an atmosphere of tolerance, trust and political moderation. Finally, societies that rank high on self-expression values also tend to rank high on interpersonal trust.
    This produces a culture of trust and tolerance, in which people place a relatively high value on individual freedom and self-expression, and have activist political orientations. These are precisely the attributes that the political culture literature defines as crucial to democracy."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007