What country has the most advanced civilization?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Technolgy is an aspect of being advanced - not the only aspect mind you. Iceland is so incredibly weak when it comes to technology, I don't think they could overcome that handicap and still be considered the most advanced civilization.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Basically you're asking what the best all-round country is then?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

No. I'm asking who's the most advanced civilization. The best all-round country is probably the place you want to live. However, the most advanced civilization may not house the place you would most like to live. Some would like to live in a tropical paradise, but that doesn't make their inhabitants the most advanced.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Like I said, Japan.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's either Japan or Germany. The Germans have the highest average IQ, whatever that's worth, and their technology is quite advanced. Their social structure and attention to livability, quality of life issues, and the environment is admirable.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

How come you guys are agreeing on the Axis of WWII - Japan and Germany? Are you sure about them being the most advanced?

10. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

From what I’ve heard, is probably Iceland. I had a friend from there, and she told me the cops don’t even carry guns; they do have a SWAT team for special occasions though.
    Oleander made a few points back in this thread that convinced me even more of this. And btw Oleander, I just saw that Iceland is ranked second in the Human Development Ranking.

Other candidates I would throw in the list are: Norway and Australia.

PS: I was just kidding about Ethiopia, kind of a mockery at people who look at "materialistic development" as "civilized".

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know, and I'm not sure. The word advanced isn't clear.

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Whatever it is the USA is definately NOT on the list, if you feel it should be all I can tell you is you need to do some travelling.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

WOOT WOOT!!! :thankyou:
    I'm tellin ya, Iceland is way ahead in the game. They had a female president ya know.

14. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Certainly, the USA is in the running. Others might be Japan, France, Italy and China. Iceland? Get real.

15. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I know!! Every country should have a female president by now, for me, that means less war and macho stupidity and more social care.

16. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I would leave USA out of the list here, I´m sorry, I know you are the majority in this forum, and I´m out-numbered here; but I won´t lie because of that.

USA is home for the most paranoic, schitzophrenic and war-minded society I have seen so far.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

One could argue that no civilization is truly advanced. They all depend on non-sustainable practices, so their days are numbered. Perhaps the most advanced civilizations are paradoxically the most simple, like the Hopi or Amish.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree with this; the most sustainable civilisation is the more advanced, ecologically and evolutionarily.

19. superstring01 Moderator

Jesus... I am moderately obsessed with sushi... I'll take it over anything else ('cept paella [Spanish dish]) any day!

I, too, vote for Switzerland. Not for the rosie-eyed reason you put (which does not necessarily negate your reasoning)... but because they are some of the most dedicated people in the world. They pull off being the most peacefull people on Earth while not being annoyingly pacifist. The Swiss are world players without playing the world. Are annoyingly industrious, while still keeping to their roots. Are a productive and technically advanced society who's work ethic outstips most nations around them, yet are dedicated family people who have not strayed too far from nature. No nation is freer. They prove that having an amalgam of people works to their advantage and consistenly demostrate that a nation can balance the needs of the individual while not sacrificing the security of the whole.

Go Switzerland!

(if not Switzerland... then Iceland-- I mean, the people are so fucking honest that they park their baby carriages outside shops while they browse... without even the smallest worry that anything bad could ever happen)

~String

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Iceland does seem like a great place, very expensive though. I know a few people who live in Iceland through the company I work for, one of these days I'll visit for a week or two. Not in the winter though, though New Years Eve would be nice as just about everyone there buys fireworks to launch from their backyard. The whole city of Reykjavik turns into a giant fireworks display at midnight.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Good case for Switzerland.

Finland is more tech advanced than Japan, last I heard. Nice place, too.

Denmark ? Netherlands?

The US as a whole isn't really in the running - we're kind of behind the curve on a lot of things, except weaponry and high end medical. Our public health and child education systems are pretty rickety, for example: surely the most advanced civilization would be among the leaders in educating its kids and keeping them healthy.

22. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Most of Europe is ahead of the western world in terms of health care and education. In Germany for instance you have universal health care for 50 euro a month and post-secondary school is free. You decide what classes you want to take and where, you can transfer universities as many times as you want, study whatever you want (as long as you take the "core" courses for the degree you want) and stay as long as you want. Feel like taking a couple programming courses alongside your engineering degree? Go for it, free of charge. Tuition is paid for by the government, dorms are about 150 euro a month.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

those ready wrapped suhi rolls and rice fillers are not very good. fresh raw fish on its own is very nice though. raw salmon cut into strips and dipped in soy sauce (salt extracted soy) is great.

peace.