What causes a child to react hostile and/or violent?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by stanleyg, Oct 27, 2006.

1. stanleyg Cranky old fool Registered Senior Member

What causes a child to react hostile and/or violent?

Prelude

Gang violence has become a number one concern that threatens public workplaces and/or public schools.

My idea is that we can observe the features of a kitten to learn what causes a child to react hostile and/or violent.

Empirical Observation

Observe the features of a kitten before and/or after it has been prompted with a threatening situation.

1. Before being prompted by a threatening situation, we may observe that each feature of a kitten appears relax or calm.

2. After being prompted by a threatening situation, we may observe acute change in each feature of a kitten that appears tensed or stressed.

Noticeable features

Noticeable features of the kitten will modify to a defensive or combat-ready posture (e.g. jaws tighten, claws and/or fangs protrude, spine haunches over, tail curls, hair stands up on its back, eyes squint etc.).

Real vs. Perception

1. Real is when a kitten is really under attack or is being harmed.

2. Perception is when a kitten perceives that someone or something is about to harm it.

Fight/flight Defense Mechanism

The hypothalami area of the brain controls our fight or flight defense mechanism. The latter activates our autonomic nervous system (ANS). The ANS controls the type and amount of painkillers, stressors or clotting agents that enter the bloodstream. These neurotransmitters will have side effects that either accelerate or decelerate motor skills.

Child compared to a kitten

Threat affects the hypothalamus of a child the same as the perception of being harm does with a kitten. The difference is that a child may suppress his or her feelings. Thus, the overt features are less pronounced in a child than a kitten.

A child who drops out of school and/or joins a gang

A child who drops out of school and/or joins a gang is harboring a hatred against society for allowing him or her to be punished or mistreated. Gang members lure the child with a false sense of security.

Harboring feelings through adolescence or adulthood.

A child may harbor feelings of hatred or anger through adolescence or adulthood. The hatred or anger may have resulted from real or perceived events that occurred during childhood. He or she may reflect back on his or her childhood with phrases such as: I hated my home and/or school (i.e. parents, teachers, principals or classmates etc.).

Society

Society, as a whole, may wish to consider ways to supplant the doctrine of punishment with rewards. Rewards may benefit reducing violence in public workplaces or public schools.

External links:

Wikipedia
    Wiktionary

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, for thousands of years, parents and society punished children for wrong-doing and there wasn't nearly the same rates of youth-gang violence that there is today.

Perhaps parents in the old days had it right, huh? Punish the kid for wrong-doing, reward him for right-doing ...just like training a dog or horse or any other animal.

He knows he can do it and get away with it ...that no one will punish him no matter what the hell he does! Older gang members have begun to use underage kids to perform murders because our society won't punish them for it!

Yep, perhaps the old folks had it right in the first place. And I don't know how you can argue against the statistics, either ...thousands of years surely can't be dismissed so easily, can it?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

You have statistics going back thousands of years?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It's called ........history.

Baron Max

8. Roman Banned Banned

Baron's pretty much right on this one, though sociologists today don't quite link the lack of punishment to gang behavior.

If parents punish their children (as opposed to abusing their children), then it shows the children they care about them. Joining gangs is widely accepted as a way for young people to find families that they wouldn't otherwise have.

The existence of punishment is largely a byproduct of good parents. Good parents punish their children for misbehavior. Bad parents don't punish their children, as they don't pay attention to their kids.

As a semantic issue, note that I don't mean punish as in retribution, but providing consequences to unwanted behavior in the children.

9. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

VIOLENCE... is natural.

controlling ones self from being violent... is something we are taught.

if we are not taught to be nice... effectively.

then we are likely to be willing to be violent as men.

its always the parents fault.... it was their resposibiblity.

but... since we dont live in tight helping hand communities anymore.. and instead live in cold unfeeling commercial sectors... its no wonder.

-MT

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It could be the parents fault. It could be peer pressures. It could be a skewed perception of reality based on the persons general environment. It could be a natural reaction to the persons actual reality. It could be that the person is naturally hyperactive and maybe a bit stupid as well, which breeds frustrations that they can only express through violence or disobedience.

It's more than likely a combination of all the above.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Cats are a terrible model for human behavior. Cats are not naturally a social species, they are solitary hunters. They do not have the complicated set of instincts and emotions for reacting to interactions with others that we do. Domesticated cats are said to present neoteny, which is a reversion to kittenhood triggered by our parent-like behavior. However, it has not been established to be a complete and faithful recreation of kittenhood, and in any case cat parents do not raise their young the way human parents do because they do not need the same type of preparation for the same type of life. Cats do not interact with each other or with the world the way we do.

A dog, chimpanzee or dolphin would probably be a closer match. They are pack-social species like humans.

I would be reluctant to trust any groundbreaking inferences drawn from studies performed with cats and I would have to question the judgment and basic science of the researchers who performed them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  12. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

its easier.... to drop out and join a gang... and have fun.
    than it is to control yourself, and go to college.

parents... must teach their kids to want more out of life, and to have the strenght of heart and mind to controll their own lives and decisions.

if they dont...

the kid will often times... follow the path of least resistance... which is the problem.

successful people... dont take the easy path.

and once your on the easy path... the hard path... becomes more and more un-accessable... until at somepoint.... the person must turn completely around.. and go back, in order to start anew on the hard path.... and few ever want to do that.

they all... instead go forward on the easy path,. and hope for a bridge that will get them across to the path of success... without having to turn around and do all that work.

that is the fundamental problem.

-MT

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And I think that comment is just one of many excuses that people make for those who are uncontrollable and/or violent ....and it's exactly that attitude which leads to the kids thinking (knowing?) that no one will punish them for any-fuckin'-thing they do! So why shouldn't they "have a little fun", and beat the shit outta some kid they don't like, or rape some girl they think is hot? See? We just continue to make excuses for the violent behavior, and never or seldom punish them for it.

Baron Max

14. Bells Staff Member

Oh my god! I'm agreeing with Baron.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But Baron is right in this. Parents need to start being parents and acting as such. Making excuses or letting things continue only ensures that your child ends up with no respect for you as a parent, but also for society in general.

When I was a little girl, my father always used to tell me this story from his childhood. He'd one day with some friends decided to saw through the posts of the teachers outhouse in his school (this was way back when outhouses were the norm) and tie ropes to it, and lie in wait in the bushes holding to the rope to wait for one particular teacher they all hated... this teacher apparently used to visit the outhouse with his newspaper every morning.. So in walked the teacher and they waited one minute and then each of them pulled the rope, basically pulling down the walls of the outhouse, leaving the teacher inside in open view of the whole school with his pants down around his ankles while sitting on the toilet.

The nuns who ran the school called in their respective parents and while the other parents laughed and said it was a prank, my grandfather marched my father right down to the police station and asked the police officer to book him and after he was made to sit in jail for the rest of the day to think about what he had done, he was taken home and was smacked with a very large leather belt (apparently lol). The moral of the story was basically.. 'don't think if you're my child you'll get away with it.. and don't think that I will protect you from the law when you decide to break it'..

Parents need to be responsible for their children and need to discipline their children when they do something wrong.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Geez, Bells, even in agreeing with me, you type up a long, involved post! If you talk as much as you type, I feel sorry for your husband. ...you do still have one of those things, don't you?

Baron Max

16. RickyH Valued Senior Member

The second i saw this thread name, i was almost instantly reminded of Happeh

17. Bells Staff Member

Yes. Do you?

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Why do you see it as an excuse? I'm not trying to justify the reasons, just stating the obvious the way I see it.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Then why not just say that the little bastards reacted violently ...when they shouldn't have, and should have known better ...and should be punished for their wrongs? No, you made excuses for that behavior!

Oh, sure, you can call it whatever you want, but those violent little bastards did wrong ...and should be punished for it. If, after they've been punished, you wish to know why, then please be my guest. But don't make excuses for their behavior, it only lends support for the same behavior in others.

Baron Max

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Who is disputing the fact that they are acting violently? Did I ever dispute it... did I?

The question of this thread is: What causes a child to react hostile and/or violent? And I gave the reasons. That they are acting violently or hostile, is a given... that's what the thread's about, so why should I say it again? If you could understand what you read the first time around, there'd be no need for all this backwards and forewards waste of fucking time.

I have already stated quite clearly that I did not make excuse or justify their behaviour in any way, manner or form, and neither did I make any suggestion that they should go unpunished (because punishment is not the subject of this thread), but you are obviously extremely challenged when it comes to understanding the message of the written word.

21. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

Conflict amung kids teaches them limits. Without learning this they can go right to lethal violence. Maybe they should be gin big cloves to get it out of there system

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

OMG, I'm soo glad that everyone agrees with the Baron Max in this thread.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

all children exhibit some kind of violent behaviour, some more than others.
    their behaviour is detirmined mainly how their parents deal with such behaviour.

children do what they see, if they see violence on television they will act it out.
    if they see violence between their parents they will act it out.
    a childs behaviour is shaped for their lifetime in the first 6 years.