What can you do to reduce global warming?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by S.A.M., Dec 17, 2009.

1. kmguru Staff Member

What can you do to reduce global warming?

Plant a lot of trees. Reduce the number of Golf Courses in the world - to mop up the CO2.

Develop a device to separate Oxygen and Carbon...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

S.A.M, how do you mean you don't have the facility for solar panels? Do you not have grid connect capability.
    Here in Australia, there are any number of companies who are bending over backwards to take a few thousand dollars frm you and set you up with solar.
    It is unbelievably attractive to go solar in Australia at present, you get big government incentives (dollars) and long lived rewards (dollars) and protection from increasing power costs and save on greenhouse emissions.
    There is only one excuse not to go solar in OZ at the moment and that is lack of a few thousand bucks in available 'readies' (dollars). Christ!, even if you don't have the bucks, they'll lend it to you, interest free for 4 years.
    What are the incentives/hurdles in India??

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Plastic locks carbon better then trees, Plastic in land fills will lock carbon for thousands of years. Use more plastic.

Trees will mop up carbon only while alive. When they die they quickly release it back into the atmosphere. We should be growing trees, cutting them down and burying them, then growing new ones in its place for trees to be effective carbon sinks.

What has saving water got to do with greenhouse gasses???

Solar cells use a lot of energy to produce. It is only recently that technology has been able to produce solar cells that create more energy then used to produce them. You might get (example only) 1MWh out of a cell but it cost 0.5MWh to create the cell.

Do not use batteries for solar systems, they are inefficient, polluting, and and turn solar into net energy users, rather then suppliers. Put it in the grid.

Solar cells trap heat, paint your roof white you will reflex more heat back into space and do more good towards global warming.

Solar is not that clean.

Wind, tidal, nuclear, hydro power are the ways we should be going.

Do not replace goods if they still function. Remember the tremendous amounts of power required to create an new product such as a washing machine. Your better of using the device until it cant function then replace it. You personal may not save power at home but you save it for the world. Also recycling or dumping old equipment cost power.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Alexander8 Registered Member

8. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Nothing.

The climate of the earth changes for reasons that we hardly understand, it always has, it always will, and we can do nothing about it. Sometimes those changes are quite abrupt and rather extreme.

I would prefer instead of time and effort being wasted chasing politically motivated fantasies, more time was spent trying to decrease the massive islands of trash in the oceans, or something meaningful be done to stop the... basically global extinction event that is happening now.

You know, something real done about an actual problem that exists.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I enjoy showering with a female friend to save water!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"... Methane is 21 times more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2. While atmospheric concentrations of CO2 have risen by about 31% since pre-industrial times, methane concentrations have more than doubled. ... With methane emissions causing nearly half of the planet’s human-induced warming, methane reduction must be a priority.

Methane is produced by a number of sources, including coal mining and landfills—but the number one source worldwide is animal agriculture. Animal agriculture produces more than 100 million tons of methane a year. And this source is on the rise: global meat consumption has increased fivefold in the past fifty years, and shows little sign of abating. About 85% of this methane is produced in the digestive processes of livestock, ... An additional 15% of animal agricultural methane emissions are released from the massive “lagoons” used to store untreated farm animal waste, ...

The conclusion is simple: arguably the best way to reduce global warming in our lifetimes is to reduce or eliminate our consumption of animal products. ..."

"... Cows emit a massive amount of methane through belching, with a lesser amount through flatulence. Statistics vary regarding how much methane the average dairy cow expels. Some experts say 100 liters to 200 liters a day (or about 26 gallons to about 53 gallons), while others say it's up to 500 liters (about 132 gallons) a day. In any case, that's a lot of methane, an amount comparable to the pollution produced by a car in a day. ..."

From: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/methane-cow.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Good post! And surely you know the reason that "we" don't do something real and substantial is because we'd actually have to show tangible results and real clean-up. With climate change and global warming, all we have to do is point to some numbers on a data sheet and feel good about ourselves and all of our "hard work". Feel-Good stuff!

And it's equally good for those who don't agree with man-caused climate change ...they can point out some emails to "prove" that the climate change is all a big fairy tale.

See? With something big like climate change, everyone "wins". With something like real pollution or that big island of garbage on the ocean, we'd have to actually do something .....instead of just talk about it.

Talk is cheap. That's why we love to do it so freakin' much.

Baron Max

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Since you put it that way, Billy, I'll take the global warming any day of the week! You can't have my beef ...no matter if the planet heats up to Sahara Desert temperatures. I'll just crank up the a/c and turn on the bbq for my beef steaks.

Fuck global warming. It's too damned cold on the Earth anyway.

Baron Max

13. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: PAINT YOUR HOUSE WHITE AND ROOF IT WHITE. It reflects as opposed to absorbing sunlight.

14. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What about in the winter when the house absorbing the heat would be a good thing? Paint it black in winter and then white in summer?

What's the return on that investment? I mean, if something works to help mitigate global warming, then you should be able to point out the return on the investment, and to show how it helps slow the global warming. So???

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What's the return on the investment in solar panels? And how much energy is used to make those panels? How much effect do they have on global warming?

All those types of questions need to be answered or you might just be throwing your money away on some con scheme. And if you can't answer those questions, then you've probably been taken in by the scare tactics of global wamring advocates and/or advertising schemes.

By the way, where did the gov get the money to give you those incentive dollars? Did they use the taxes from some factory that pollutes the crap out of the atmosphere???

Baron Max

17. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

The energy payback period for monocrystalline PV cells is less than 4 years and given that they will produce at better than 80% of their original efficiency for more than 25 years, this represents a very real positive result. Next question.
    Oh yeah. where did the government get the money?
    Yes they get it from the industry, yes the polluters. Is it a licence to pollute? No, it's an incentive for the uptake of renewable energy paid for by dirty energy.
    Have I been conned? err,..no, My return on investment, purely in dollar terms 'cos that what you'll understand, is above 20% p.A. Tell me just where you'll get that and I'll come on board. My household consumption is less than 3kW hours per day.

What's yours Baron?

There's an old expression from the wild west 'bringing a knife to a gunfight'

Be warned Baron, don't fall on your rusty blade.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its complicated. We don't have permission for such structural additions

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Shit, are you in a heritage listed area or are the local council just a bunch of turds. That sucks royally.
    Time for some lobbying S.A.M

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most of the old buildings in Mumbai are in for some post builder lobbying phenomenon post March 2009. They are going to tax us at current rates and eliminate the Rent Control Act. If we cannot come up with the property taxes which will be increased by several six figures per annum, native Mumbaikars may have to leave.

21. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Come to Aus. We love Indians, I'm sure you've heard.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have other houses, but we have an animal called a cooperative housing society which means that other people decide what you can do. This includes solar panels and rainwater harvesting. Initial costs are prohibitive.

I would love to visit Australia, though I am done living in foreign lands.