What can we know?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by moonman, Apr 16, 2003.

?

How much can humas know?

1. Everything (In the distant future)

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Everything (We almost do/near future)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nothing

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. moonman Registered Senior Member

What is the limit of human knowledge in your opinion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Donati Registered Member

How can you go straight from everything to nothing? I believe we have learned a lot, I think there is much knowledge we have yet to possess in the near and distant future. But I don’t believe we can ever hope to learn everything there is to know in an infinite universe. That’s my opinion anyway.

-N-

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

It's literally impossible for anyone to know everything. But understanding is something different. Complete understanding does not require complete knowledge in every detail.
    I think it's possible that in the distant future we can gain a complete understanding of how the universe works.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

At this stage humans know VERY little.
    If we live long enough that 'very little' might change to 'a little'.

8. moonman Registered Senior Member

My reasoning centereed mostly arround if it is possible for humans to know (or understand) everything. I should have phrazed my question accordingly, but any way there you have it. Is it possible?

In my opinion, no, I don't believe that we can or will ever know or understand but a fraction of the universe. I believe it goes much much deeper than quarks, neutrinos, atoms, the electromagnetic specrtrum, gravity and time, unfathomably deeper. And we as the human race as we are currently manifested, can not possibly understand any of it.

9. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

We know nothing yet.. We dont even know who we are. How can you expect from us to know everything in the future. Future is not that far away guys. When i was 13 we were talking with my friends about flying cars in the 2000 years. Where are they? I think we are moving too slow. With this speed we can never reach the speed of question marks

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Come on. We have a nice trillion years at least before the last star burns out. We will have certainly amassed more knowledge than I would know what to do with.

Anyway Ill be dead and forgotten so its kind of a moot point.

11. Canute Registered Senior Member

Well said. We should pay more attention to the difference between understanding and 'knowledge' (as it is usually defined). Unfortunately our education system only deals in knowledge, and mostly we grow up to be anoraks, train-spotters, and quiz-show contestants, with an understanding of f-all that matters.

12. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

i think in theory we could learn everything.

but of course we seem to come up with new questions faster than we come up with answers. so maybe this is an endless race.

we may know much much more in the distant future than we do now, but there will be even more questions to answer.

i have a feeling that currently we know a lot less than we think we do. i mean we're still stuck on this damn rock(earth)!

13. Donati Registered Member

Moonman,

I totally agree with you, the infinite abyss of the universe is far to deep for us to ever comprehend, even quarks within atoms have whole universes that reach to a never-ending depth, and the observable part of our universe is just one fraction of a quark in an eternal distance. It would be inconceivable, and we are vain if we think we could ever possibly understand its magnitude.

As for the difference between knowledge and understanding, I agree there is a huge difference, however, understanding cannot be achieved without basic knowledge. When we try understanding things a priori we tend to devise conclusions such as the world being flat, or the Earth being the center of the universe. We must first observe, study, and gather all the information to gain the knowledge, only then can we come to an understanding, but the universe is so immense we will only be able to explore a tiny part.

-N-