What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Lykan, May 18, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Bruce Campbell is my hero. Well, at least his little essays are interesting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

non-fiction. Allan Palmer's <i>The Rise And Fall Of The Ottoman Empire</i>

fiction. Just finished David L. Robbin's <i>The End Of War</i> and have started rereading <i>To Reign In Hell</i> by Steven Brust.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

To Reign in Hell

Steven Brust's To Reign in Hell: I think this should be required reading for anyone trying to delve Christian theology and mythos. It's an awesome story. 'Nuff said for now.

Enjoy that book.

(Also a thumbs-up to Lumley's Transition of Titus Crow. A beautiful macabre, as such.)

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Re: To Reign in Hell

Yeah, I read <i>To Reign...</i> in the mid-80s. I was going through boxes in my attic last night looking for another old book when I found all my old Brust books (I love the <i>Jhereg</i> series). The book is a great read for anyone not familiar with it or Brust. A truly creative writer.

8. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Just saw Blade Runner ... MUST READ!!!

"Do Androids dream of Electronic Sheep?" - Philip K. Dick
    (and possibly the sequels by Jeter.)

BLADE RUNNER IS AWESOME! Best movie I have ever seen in the longest time!

9. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Bladerunner is an excellent movie, with some of the best cinematography I have seen in a movie. The uncut version rocks.

10. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Uncut ... do you mean the one with Deckard's original narration and the gratuitous happy ending? Because I watched the director's cut version, and a bit of the OV, and I found the DV much better than the OV with the VO.

(lol)

11. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Now clutching in my trembling aspenleaf hands...

Neuromancer by William Gibson, because

a) It is a Blade Runner spinoff type thingie
    b) Pollux mentioned it, as well as a bunch of others (woohoo!)
    c) and I've always wanted to read it

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

When they aired it on the scifi channel I couldn't really get into Blade Runner. I might just have to watch it without an eight minute commercial break every time there's a pause in the movie.

I want to read more of Neuromancer (because it is just so awesome), but as always it seems I've got a ton of books I'm in the middle of and not enough time to finish all of them in the foreseeable future.

-A Short History of the World, which is well written but does not go into depth on any of the topics that it discusses. Then again, that's what the title would suggest.

-Thus Spoke Zarathustra is making for an interesting read, even if Nietzsche is redundant at times, reading his language feels like drinking a milkshake.

-Second Foundation I haven't picked up in almost a month, I only started it, and I intend to finish it sooner or later. The series really picked up toward the end of the book, with the unveiling of The Mule, etc etc...

I also ordered a few books a few days ago, about fifty dollars worth. I bought a Lovecraft book, which looks awesome, Fight Club, Empire of the Sun, and then something else but I forget...
    Bah, I'll find out in a week or two.

Also, blue, you can gauge the coolness factor of someone depending on if they have read Childhood's End. If you--

+Hear them compare it to something in a conversation then they are automatically ultra~mega cool.

+Feel them vomit on you and then vomit back because of how awful the vomit felt on your face then they are automatically a nonreigner. This even may have had to do with Childhood's End (which is one of the coolest books ever written) but it isn't necessarily a prerequisite for the vomitting-upon.

13. Circe Registered Senior Member

2001 Space Odyssey - Arthur C.Clarke

14. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, the one I watched was on TVO, and it played straight from beginning to end, which makes a lot more sense, because the movie doesn't make a lot of sense in chunks. Right now, for instance, watching "The Rock", and it's "mega cool"

D) but then you have "action action buy Preparation H, eat at Wendy's back to action action" ... it's just wrong.

Yeah, the Mule was when the real fun started. It was because Asimov was growing bored with it before being forced by his publisher to finish it, also urged on by his fans. Thank goodness he finished it!
    I read Childhood's End ... but I've never used ultra~mega cool until now.

Signing off now (damn Math classes have been compressed into this final week before exams so I can have more "study time" for Math exam), cheerio!

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hich hikers guide to the galaxy

16. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. Not nearly as good as Fight Club IMO.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Neutrino, have you read "Survivor"? None of his other books compare to Fight Club, but "Survivor" and "Choke" (although Choke was a bit slow) are good.

Invisible Monsters is something that has to grow on you. I liked it better the second time I read.

18. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

No, only Fight Club. I do plan to read the others though.

19. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Gary Paulson is good.

20. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

Re-reading: A hundred years of solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
    (in Spanish.)

Currently immersed in the singular, beautiful depths of Steppenwolfe by Herman Hesse.

21. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Comprendo español muy bien pero... no pienso que puedo leer un libro en español, todavía.

22. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

That was very well said NenarTronian

You don´t need to start from García Marquez, his use of language is much too complex, even for me, a spanish speaker.

However, you could start from much simpler books, even poetry in spanish hehe, which is also quite good.
    (Some personal favorites: Octavio Paz, Cesar Vallejo and Pablo Neruda.)

23. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Muchos gracias storni, buscaré y leeré de los autores y sus libros en AMAZON.COM

Hasta