What beer do you like?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wanneszinnig, Sep 15, 2007.

1. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Jezus Dragon..good for you u r not living in Belgium...you would be killed for your quotes...I drink daily my glass of wine/beer and still I am not an alcoholic, nor do I drive when I have drunk more than 2 beers or do I bother other ones. So why the hell would you make our lifes difficult? Drinking alcohol can also be for the good taste it has, to accompany with a fresh meal you just cooked. It is a culture you deffenatly don't understand...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

SISSIES?! YOU CALL PUTTING JAMESON WHISKY IN BEER BEING A SISSY?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, whattsa matter, can't drink it straight?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

first you drink a guiness, then a dosis of jameson, then another guiness, then you order some nice greasy pub food with another guiness, then another jameson and THEN a car bomb

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Colt 45 is cheap($1 per bottle). If I have enough money, I try not to drink beer because it's nasty.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The only people I ever see talking about how "all beer is nasty" is the people that drink nasty beer.

Colt 45 is basically carbonated corn water with ethanol in it. It's in the same category as Hurricane, Private stock, Big Bear, Red Bull, St Ives, Schlitz, Old English 800 and all those other generic convenient store malt liquors. It's basically there to get you drunk for cheap, and you'll feel like crap a couple of hours later (unless you drank schlitz.....then you'll feel like crap AND need to take a dump).
    Beers like that were not brewed with taste or quality in mind. Whenever I've drank them (and believe me - I've drank plenty of 40s) the first few drinks are always face squinting until the barbiturate effect starts to kick in and deadens the taste enough to swig it....... and that is NOT the way beer was meant to be enjoyed.
    You're better off spending a few extra dollars, and avoiding that swill.

Admittedly, I will say that 40 bottles (the wide mouth ones) make great change jars.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah, I used to get the Private Stock in those gallon jugs. Those were the best, and Mickey's Big Mouths. My favorite cheap bear is National Bohemian (From the Land of Pleasant Living)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Bohemian

Apparently, the brewery closed in 2000, they were bought out by Pabst. Best by the case.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  11. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You're telling me there's beer that doesn't taste like cold piss? My step-dad tells me that all the time, but I just don't listen because he's usually drunk and trying to get me to buy some beer I've never heard of so he can tell me it was more expensive than it was and buy himself some. What kind of beer is it that you're talking about?

12. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

some of the cheaper 'good tasting' common convenient store beers would be stuff like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Bass pale ale, Harp Lager, Newcastle Brown ale, Mackesons XXX (if you can find it)

13. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Allright mixing coke in yr beer is for sissies....mixing other stuff in yr ber is for beerbashers

You just don't mix stuff in your beer...except for Heiniken...the beer sucks anyway...

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Christ woman! How much can you drink? Six drinks might give me a decent buzz, but a little thing like you? Sheeze. That's gotta fuck you up pretty good.

I think I could become a beer connoisseur. I like beer a lot but I haven't had that many different kinds. Right now my favorite is a local beer called Magic Hat. They make a variety called Number 9, which is delicious. It's orangish-red and has a fruity apricot taste to it. Fuckin' really good. I have good memories associated with it, so that probably screws up my objectivity, but oh well.

Magic Hat Number 9:
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/magic-hat-9/1314/

As for the beer that I just finished drinking, it's Sierra Nevada. I first learned of this beer when I was in Northern California. Some town north of Fort Bragg, I think it was where I drank and hang out with one of my friend's families. Great time. The beer is really good and has a distinctive taste. Funny how it triggers memories. When I was there I also had something called Red Seal, a lager, which is also quite good. Very heavy--not something you should use for beerpong--but quite tasty.

But yeah, if any of you go to New Hampshire or Vermont and you see Magic Hat Number 9 in a grocery store, make sure to give it a try. My favorite beer so far.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Jubel Ale ....

Top Tier (absolute favorites):

Guinness
    Jubel Ale (Deschutes seasonal)​

Second Tier (assorted preferred):

Black Butte Porter (Deschutes)
    Diamond Knot IPA (Diamond Knot)
    Boundary Bay IPA (Boundary Bay)
    Longhammer IPA (Red Hook)
    Copper Hook (Red Hook)
    Winterhook Ale (Red Hook seasonal)​

Recent Discoveries

Bitch Creek (Grand Teton)
    Sweetgrass IPA (Grand Teton)​

Recent Letdowns

Red Hook ESB (Red Hook)
    Fat Tire (New Belgium)​

• • •​

So many beers ... the thing is that I'll drink either Guinness or an IPA, depending on my mood. But I was pleasantly surprised recently to find Boundary Bay's IPA, which achieved the improbable standard of passing Diamond Knot as my favorite IPA. Really, I didn't think you could get much greener than DK, but the folks up in Bellingham have somehow managed it. (It was the high point of a recent stop in at the Cyclops in Seattle; eight bucks for a tablespoon of hummus? And you're playing Garden State on the television? I was happy to get back to Geezerfest to get my brain smashed in by proper, pre-1992 grunge and Seattle alt.) I should also note that those planning trips to Yellowstone should make a point of trying the Grand Teton beers. At first we had no idea what to make of them, since they were all over the park, but temptation got the best of us, and we were impressed enough to venture across the border into Idaho in search of the brewery. The bartender said they were headed to Colorado to take on New Belgium, and I wish them the best in that. We're waiting for them to bring the goods to Seattle. In addition to having really cool names, Bitch Creek and Sweetgrass are both excellent brews, and proved an unexpected bonus of the trip. However ....

It's hard to explain Jubel Ale. Craft beers do vary from batch to batch, but the weakest year of Jubel Ale kicks the shit out of damn near anything else on the planet. October is coming, and that means it's nearly time for the winter beers; we get excited up here about Jubel Ale and Winterhook. There was one year, though, when I was living in Greenlake, Seattle, that I ventured the two doors up to the Latona and, after perusing the board, I asked the bartender about the ornate, unmarked tap on the counter behind him. He spoke quietly: "We're not advertising it. It's Jubel Ale. Cask conditioned." Needless to say, my jaw hit the counter and I had to borrow a towel to wipe up the Pavlovian drool. How I had longed for a cask-conditioned Jubel Ale. I didn't think they made it. And there it was, staring back at me. He didn't have to ask. He just smiled, turned around, and pulled me a pint.

It was (and still is) the finest beer I have ever tasted.

I don't know its distribution range, but I do feel for those who have never heard of it and can't get it.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I liked beer when I was a teenager and a bit after that.
    Now I can't really stand it and I dislike the effects of it.
    This year I've abandoned drinking any alcohol including wine.

When I liked beer, I liked dark beer, mostly Czech and Latvian.
    I have never drank American beer, but my father has said it tastes like piss water.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The real art of beer drinking is to control the flow in order to achieve the right effect.

The right effect of course depends on the mood. And you can go through different effects within one session going back and forth, or just go forth.

And on this someone should write a book.

The standard pint of lager works well since it is easier to predict the effects. By adding wine, spirits and such the outcome of the process becomes less predictable and either common sense (which you don't have since you are mixing drinks) or experience is required.

18. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

fucks me up pretty bad... by the time i finish the car bomb, I'm walking sideways like a crab

(if at all)

19. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

On an average evening out we drink +- 10/15 Stella's I guess...Some of my friends easely drink 20 Stella and still can spell their name

I more prefere the heavier beer...cause it has more taste... let's say 5 to 8 Westmalle (8.5%) or Karmeliet (8%) beers.
    Yummie

20. draqon Banned Banned

people awaken! What is this blasphemy?!!

Don't drink alcohol...or it will spoil your mind, decrease the probability of longevity, increase risk of depression...and overuse

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

people go back to sleep! What is this blasphemy?!!

Do drink alcohol...it will not spoil your mind, decrease the probability of longevity, or increase risk of depression...and overuse.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wrong: http://www.healthcastle.com/redwine-heart.shtml

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Make tea, not war.