What are your views on Dark Matter/How do you think Dark Matter interacts with light?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by [TheDoctor], Aug 4, 2011.

1. [TheDoctor] Registered Member

I had the thought of this question when one day looking at a shadow of my house's fence. How light was able to bend through the two wooden cut outs. This made me wonder. What is Dark matter? Dark matter is always there, it's all around us. In my eyes..dark matter, like all objects with mass has a gravitational attraction to another form of mass. Can dark matter even have a gravtational attraction? Or does this form of mass even attract at all, maybe it has an outward force of gravity. Or does dark matter work like any source of light, dark matter being emitted from a single entity in a black abyss? In my strange thought process, I was questioning/thinking that dark matter was frail..it can go through everything (as stated by some theoretical physicists), but be torn to bits by the slightest amount of energy, this energy for example could be light. As dark matter becomes more dense, it becomes more difficult to penetrate by the use of luminescence, thus why a small amount of light is barely able to penetrate into a deep abyss. Such an example can be used when one looks at a star through a telescope. When looking at a star, we are looking at the most light radiating point of the star, that point is able to travel light years, penetrate through layers upon layers of black matter. Another example can be used as light wing a pair of scissors, dark matter being paper. One layer of paper is easy to cut through where 1000 layers of paper would be nearly impossible with such a small pair of scissors/ small amount of light. There isn't much evidence to support my propositions, then again there is little to be known about black matter, so really the most sensible theory of how this sort of matter works is really 'up for grabs', unless we are able to study this invisible form of matter, which is nearly impossible. *

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When Hubble peers into your "abyss" it can see clearly back to the "beginning" of the big bang. So if it can see through all of your dark matter how does this statement hold true?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Don't know about dark matter but I know about white space. Space out when you write so it's not all one nearly-impossible to read long paragraph.

Like so.

I assume you have read up on dark matter/energy on Wiki?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. [TheDoctor] Registered Member

It's not an entirely true statement, just a theory with little evidence. The way Hubble is able to "see into the past" is due to light traveling and or how long it would take light to reach Hubble's lens. In the case of the Big Bang it would have taken nearly (and obviously) over a million years to reach the telescope. In my theory's sense, it would have taken over a million years of this traveling light "cutting" through this dark matter in the sense of how fast light travels etc.

8. [TheDoctor] Registered Member

Sorry for the paragraph being difficult to read, that was typed on a touch screen device and has yet to be revised. I had read up on dark matter, or what little knowledge there is of it. Dark matter, from what I know is based upon all theory and there is little physical evidence that it exists.

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

The physical evidence is that there is a large gravitational halo and we can't detect what's causing it.

10. [TheDoctor] Registered Member

Thanks for the information, didn't know that about dark matter. I haven't throughly read-up on dark matter enough yet.

11. hardalee Registered Senior Member

Light is bent by dark matter just as it is by "normal matter".

P.S. we cannot see all the way back to the big bang but only to the "surface of last scattering" when it got "cold" enough for electrons to join with protons. This freed the photons from bouncing around so much they could not travel far through space in any one direction. This is said to be about 300,000 to 400,000 years after the big bang.