What are your thoughts on internet bullying?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The God Valued Senior Member

No, I have never invoked God in my science. Thats your bad and dishonest propaganda against me.

And this is a bad assesent that I am anti Science in general. I am a student of science, with objective mind, I can never be anti Science.

Yes I have some hard opinion about some of the theories and claims. But you know someone posted that only around a fraction of published experimental claims were repeated and verified. So you know that ills are there in science too.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not in so many words, but people are able to read between the lines, and couple that with the fact that you deride near all 21st century cosmology, [with no stated substitute] and it all adds up.
    And also obviously others agree.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not according to the evidence and whenever you have ever posted on science.
    That is certainly a hollow claim on your part.
    As I have stated, you have argued against and derided all of cosmology that I can remember. And certainly there are ills in science, and no one has denied that. But those ills are being sorted out by the professionals.
    In essence, you are as unqualified as I am, the difference being, I am able to understand most of the basics, and I understand the state of the art equipment/probes etc that are necessary to advance cosmology to where it is today, I am able to generally sort the wheat from the chaff, I understand and recognise your position that has been entirely self created, and I understand how inflated your ego is, and the inane claims you constantly make, [whether to goad people or due to your inflated ego] that you are never wrong.
    You have many people who have you on ignore: I do not hate you, I simply see it as my duty to show the inane claims you make as just that.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thats funny, still on the tablet, but now nothing there also.. No post at all.

Much better.

Alex

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The God Valued Senior Member

Then why are you lurking around.

Take a walk with deep breathe.

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think it's safe to say that there will be people in life that we will never ''like'' for whatever our reasons, although I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, until they prove to me that it's a bad idea. lol

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

No need to apologize

Just one question though lol - Why does he call you a hermit? Are you living off the grid?

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Again thanks for that link: Many interesting claims by yourself and a couple of mods.
    Of course perhaps you missed the final post and line by James.......
    Mod Note:
    Enough. Thread closed. Clearly The God has not had en0ugh time off to consider the impact of his words on other people.

James R, Jul 5, 2016

11. The God Valued Senior Member

He claimed to be leading a life of hermit, yes off the Grid with mobile and ipad etc. To me also he appeared a simple, innocent kind of chap in the starting.

But then he started preaching me and supporting Paddoboy pop science. So far so God. Not very harmful.

Then he started telling game that once upon a team he also had some alternative ideas, but realized the folly. Ok.

But then he started talking about scoring with the girls, his success with law and as property agent. Then he started declaring all those who posted critical views as fools. Then DMOE, myself and Expletive Deleted became fools in his eyes...

Basically he lost out on his nice persona and I pronounced that he is not what he pretends to be. All hell broke loose, he started abusing further confirming my pronouncement. You see his use of words fool, scumbag, idiot, crank...more will come. Where is the niceness?

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Getting back on track re bullies in real life as opposed to those over the internet, and on this forum, other than the two other experiences I described with myself as a tin lid, and my Son, a recent encounter [14 years ago] I had was when I was standing in line waiting to be served in a 7/11 service station and shop.
    The shop was run by a Chinese couple, when in burst a gang of gutless young thugs [around 14 or 15 years old] that started to pull stuff down from the shelves and over turning a slurpy machine. As the Chinses couple behind the counter started screaming and reached for their phone, they all proceeded to run out of the store laughing.
    I was totally incensed at this thoughtless actions of there's, and as the last thug ran by me, I stuck out my arm [Rugby League stiff arm tackle style] and collared him square around the neck. He fell to the ground with me on top of him and a short time later the police arrived.
    He was taken into custody and I was questioned as to what happened.
    All the culprits were caught, and a few weeks later this young fellows parents came round to my place, having got the address off the Police, and thanked me for what I had done. The boys all were sentenced to some community service, and the parents of this lad, were appreciative of their own Son being brought to justice and copping just punishment.

wegs and Xelasnave.1947 like this.
  13. The God Valued Senior Member

Yes, James got swayed by other punching trolls.

When I clearly stated that "I will keep my children away from him", it did not mean what it was being taken as. Then the controversy should gave ended there.

I recall one of the Mods have used the same phrase for someone else, may be for DaveC in that religion thread. Not at all intended likewise.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Another great post in that link, challenging and revealing the anti science and nonsense by the usual person.........
    http://sciforums.com/threads/are-all-dissenting-voices-cranky.156691/page-11
    1) When you chose the handle "The God" you placed a Rorschach test on your shoulder and dared the world to knock it off (to mix some metaphors). Unless your parents actually named you "The God" that was an act of provocation, coloring your interactions with people on this forum. paddoboy seems to have taken it as evidence that you are motivated by religious/magical thinking. Others seem to have taken it as evidence that you are an unreasonable and arrogant troll. Others seem to have taken it as evidence that you are angry. Some parts of your posting history can be used to prop up each of these viewpoints, so the choice of handle was not one that promoted reasonable discussion.

2) You do say anti-science things. In post #3 you wrote
    “Our observation is limited to only a few hundred years as against 225 million years. ... Despite mammoth progreess in the field of astronomy, the vast work still remains to be done.”
    as if that supported some point. That seems like a vast misunderstanding of the nature of science, similar (as pointed out in post #176) to common anti-science tropes. In addition, you have taken positions against mainstream cosmology, mainstream theories including General Relativity and basic empirical descriptions of the galaxy without actually knowing the science that you rail against. That seems like anti-science.

3) You do seem anti-establishment when you don't bother to do the work to learn what the mainstream is first. You could be an arrogant autodidact completely ignorant of the depths of his ignorance or you could be a crackpot who ran off the rails some time ago or you could be under the influence of some bubble of groupthink or cult of personality, but whatever the cause you don't seem to care that most of your characterizations seem to be straw men.

4) Please don't try to equate your behavior on this forum with the behavior of the scientific mainstream. When scientists question the established theories of our time, they look at observations of real phenomena and compare them to theoretical predictions of behavior. When scientists speculate on what future theories might be held true, they feel obligated to constrain their ideas to things which describe the behavior of reality and which therefore are largely compatible with the older theoretical predictions of behavior in regimes where old theory and reality were already in fairly precise alignment.

5) In the OP you wrote:
    “I am well qualified, I understand more than graduate level maths and Physics”
    which seems to have been made without evidence. Anything you can do in the future to clarify or support that statement would be appreciated.

rpenner, Jun 18, 2016

15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

The thread could left ope.n as Wellwisher has yet to respond to my question about R & D.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I retired in 1996 because I had a complete break down. I left the city and lived for a time with my ex. and we had a daughter, they left me because I became obsessed with astronomy. I lived alone only went out to shop once or twice a month, I did not use a tv or radio. My contact with the outside world was only via an asronomy forum. It is that period I was totally hermit like. These days I am forced to come to the city but I dont have much to do with people. Right at this moment I am in the city because I now look after my father.
    Up until six months ago I was mainly in the bush but events means I am now more in the city.
    For twenty years I have been off the grid (but on the grid in the city but about to drop off cause last trip I brought down my panel and batteries and inverter) .
    I have a second place recently aquired that has a great off grid system.. I have cartakers there to look after the animals.
    I prefer having my own power, providing my own fuel for heat and cooking and providing my own fresh water and growing mkst of my food.
    I have a 1200 cc car but cant make fuel for it.
    I was about to go to bio diesel but had to look after Dad... I am happy to be here for him but I hate the city.
    Two years ago I lost use of my legs but had a reasonably successful opperation on my back but use a walker.
    I dont have much money but I do not consume much and have no addictions that drain cash.
    I dont see much of my family or grandchildren.
    I have two friends who visit maybe ea h month but they drink and I dont unless I go out with a younger group I have recently met.
    My background was firstly in law and later in real estate ending up with my own small office.
    So even in the city I live a hermit like life.
    So yes I am off the grid in my natural surroundings and sortta off the grid as far as other humans are concerned.
    I am old with average inteligence and my highest achievement is science was topping the last year in school in science with a mark of 98.5% I lost marks for adding two things wrong but I had broken my nose in two places and had six stiches due to a horrible weight lifting accident two days before the exam.
    All of what I set out is common knowledge via an astronomy site so I find being told I am not who I make out upsetting and uncalled for.
    I have no problem making friends or making money I have just decided I dont want or need the same way others do.
    I dont cut my hair or beard because someone special thinks I look scarey without it.
    Anything you need to know I expect I can answer.
    Ale x

wegs and paddoboy like this.
  17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I for one find your open and frank nature, quite refreshing, and totally opposite of what the crank troll suggests.

Xelasnave.1947 and wegs like this.
  18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I lived on a 200 acre place surrounded by state forrest... Sorry I left that out.
    Alex

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol

You've led an interesting life, X.

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So far my comments have been on the real life bully: The Internet bully being unknown to me and me to him, doesn't concern me a great deal: Other than [unlike my beautiful wife] I do not propose to turn the other cheek.

Back to your specific question re cyber bullies......
    We had a case in Australia in recent times re a group of young boys "rating" girls that they have had relationships with, on social sites and phone messaging etc, and by all reports, nothing was left to the imagination.

I can see how this could and would affect a young girl and the possibilities of suicidal behaviour, due to such "bullying" is far too horrible to contemplate. Such carryings on should and must feel the full weight of the law, although I'm not sure what happened to this group of boys, other then expulsion from school.
    I will see what I can dig up on this terrible example.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Bingo!
    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...n/news-story/be603ff8caaacc4a51c578b0940c4917

Police are investigating two students after a vile Instagram account was shut down:

BOYS from an elite school will be investigated by police after setting up a secret Instagram account to “slut shame” young girls.

The account, which has now been deleted, was filled with incriminating pictures of young girls, giving other boys the opportunity to vote for “slut of the year”.

Two senior students from Brighton Grammar School in Melbourne’s Bayside suburb featured girls as young as 11 and 12 on the Instagram account, according to Fairfax Media.

Some girls were dressed in school uniforms while others were more provocative — one young girl was wearing bikini bottoms and a white singlet.

Students who posted the photo also wrote a caption describing sexual acts the girl was accused of doing.

The school suspended the two boys involved and will make a final decision on their enrolment at the end of further investigations.

The girls on the Instagram page were unaware their photos were being judged publicly and a mother of one of the girls took to Facebook to express her disgust.

“I am writing this as a mother of a girl that has not only been sexualised but violated within our small community,” she wrote in a post seen by Fairfax Media.

“I will not rest until the consequence for the crime meets the severity of the crime itself — for my daughter and all other young unsuspecting girls.”

On Monday the school met with the students involved, their parents and two girls who had their pictures posted on the account.

This comes after a Facebook page, made by some Melbourne University students earlier this year, was said to promote a rape culture.

The “Hotties of Melbourne University” page posted pictures of attractive university students and invited people to rate their appearance or sexual performance

University of NSW was also criticised after a video was leaked of Baxter College students “glorifying rape” by chanting a song.

“I wish that all the ladies were little red foxes and if I were a hunter I’d shoot up in their boxes,” they said.

A toxic culture at Sydney University was also revealed this month when statistics found there were 340 sexual assaults on the campus every year.

Another elite private school, Xavier College in Kew in Melbourne’s east, was accused of being privileged last year when students taunted others from a public school ahead of the VCE English exam, calling them “povos”.

Cyber safety expert Susan McLean said not all private school boys could be tarnished with the same brush, but said there were still some who were privileged.

“There would be many private school boys absolutely appalled by this behaviour but I think some of the boys have a sense of entitlement and I think it’s about how they were brought up and raised,” she said.

“The parents of those boys (who created the Instagram account) should be absolutely mortified their sons have done this.

“There is still this jock mentality and you see it especially in college campuses in America and this is a continuation of that. Kids have to be taught what respect is.”

Ms McLean said the mother who posted on Facebook about the Instagram account was “totally in the wrong” because it didn’t teach young people about respect on social media.

She said every person who liked, shared or posted a picture did something wrong.

“What people have to understand is taking a photo without permission is not a crime, it’s what happens to the photo and how it’s used,” she said.

Brighton Grammar School confirmed that over the weekend it was made aware of an unacceptable social media posting involving two Year 11 boys.

Headmaster Ross Featherston and the senior staff were taking this matter very seriously.

Mr Featherston says the Instagram post was disgraceful and did not reflect the values of the school.

“Disrespectful behaviour on any social media site is simply unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” he said.

Brighton Grammar said it regrets the distress caused to the girls and their families.

“The girls’ wellbeing is a top priority and Brighton Grammar has been working with these families over the weekend and will continue offering ongoing support,” the school said in a statement.

“Respectful relationships are a critical part of the culture at Brighton Grammar School with various programs in the curriculum addressing this issue.

“The behaviour of these boys does not in any way reflect the values of Brighton Grammar School or what Brighton Grammar School stands for.”

Victoria Police confirmed it had received a report in relation to inappropriate content on an Instagram account originating in the Bayside area.

The report was made to police on Saturday, July 16.

Police said the matter was being investigated by local detectives but it was inappropriate to comment further at this time.

22. ajanta Registered Senior Member

23. geordief Valued Senior Member

Impertinent perhaps but have you come across astromark on the science forums ? He is from your side of the globe (NZ) and is interested in astronomy too.

He used to post a lot in www.thescienceforum.com but that site is going through lots of problems and I think now he may be mainly at www.thescienceforum.org

His username there is astromark2014

He is also quite free with his rather interesting life history and ,like I said his main interest is astronomy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.