What are your thoughts on internet bullying?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sorry,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know what came over me, except this was one of my most favourite songs.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It is one of mine also.
    I play guitar and play a three string fretless cigar box slide guitar mostly these days and after hearing old mule skinner think I will go sit in the Sun and play for a while.
    The lead break in mule skinner blues is something else isn't it ...might have a go and see if I can do it in slide.
    Thanks for putting it up really got me going..
    Alex

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. geordief Valued Senior Member

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Something I've noticed as a common complaint with some of you here in this thread, is that it seems that there is a logical desire to have people choosing to post within the science sections of the forum, at least have objective evidence to back up any and all assertions. This is entirely reasonable, but some of you are arguing back, that you do provide evidence, etc. I enjoy science, but much of what I enjoy about it, is learning from people who know far more than me, on different subjects. It's okay to admit that you don't ''know everything,'' and defer to someone else's knowledge, here...someone who might know more than you. Maybe some of the squabbles that have been going on, could be remedied by just admitting that you could learn from each other, and that is also why a forum like this exists.

paddoboy likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've been on forums where it seemed like ''troll central'' and some of those sites were religious in nature. lol Actually some of the rudest people I've ever met on the internet, came from religious websites where the people were beyond offensive, and borderline insane. And then, after a thorough virtual beating, they'd whip out a line from Scripture as a way to prove to others, perhaps themselves, that they are a faithful follower of God. Right. Spare me.

It just makes me wonder why someone who owns online comminity forums, would want to drive away good posters like yourself, over all those trolls? Why moderators on those types of sites seem so reluctant to deal with a crazy troll problem? That's what I don't get. lol

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Some folks go online in hopes of having an argument.
    Some folks are happy to accommodate them.

I ain't neither.

1960 wow
    old memories and stacks of 78s and 45s that that I ain't played in decades.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Well you are probably right to ask why is it a big deal, assuming I have taken your meaning correctly.

Let me answer.

For an amateur to discover a single star would be a big deal because it seems most have been catalogued.

For an amateur to discover a galaxy when so many are known is a momentous event so it is a big deal for those who are into astronomy.
    Will it change the world...no...but let's see how long it takes for an amateur to find another before a professional. AND he was a fellow country man and a member of the astronomy forum that I am a member of also ... I suppose knowing the person (if only via the net) makes it exciting.
    Alex

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

As far as "he who is on my ignore" is concerned he seemed to think he did know everything and stood out by his refusal to listen to others...not just members but I seem to recall when Paddoboy had correspondence with a professor who had the decency to reply our resident infallible "hwiomi" was just his dismissive infallible self.
    Of course its OK to admit to not knowing everything not to make such an admission simply points to vanity and is just plain silly.
    Your reasonable observations would work for reasonable persons but an unreasonable person rarely will accept reason.
    If I ever tried to help I was accused of preaching when I was genuinely trying to help him.
    I felt sorry for him because at first I thought others treated him without respect but finally I realised he drew the contempt of others he probably deserved.
    When you are honest and up front it is extremely confronting to have someone who hides their identity, background and qualification say you are a phoney with no justification.
    I think he is a bully and a blow hard chestbeater and that is being kind.
    Never a genuine apology for an unwarrented unfounded disgusting insult...admit being wrong he never will....I am tempted to look what he has said but I know I would have to respond ....ignore is best.

Alex

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

First thing I thought of when you opened your address to Captain Stumpy with "Good Morning Captain.

Bingo and most certainly!
    Even the discovery of Asteroids/Comets etc are of note...
    [Obviously extra important so as they can be tracked]
    Comet Lovejoy immediatly comes to mind, discovered by Australian Terry Lovejoy.
    Another was the following......
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Space/story?id=8221167&page=1
    "Scientists around the world sat up and took notice last week when Anthony Wesley, the amateur Australian astronomer, reported to NASA that he was seeing something unusual in the southern hemisphere of Jupiter".

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  14. birch Valued Senior Member

What i dont get is the excessive bullying and condescension that goes on in the fringe section.

Alternately, what good does it do to discuss already known facts and to have that reconfirmed among eachother? Its dull and redundant. You and they know and so does established science so what is there to discuss? So? And? Unless one just enjoys pontificating just for its own sake. Discussing facts gets nowhere but speculation is where discussion on forums is where people should be able to do but its often shot down or ridiculed even just slightly provocative or veering from whatever is established currently. Its as if the only purpose or agenda for some members is to make sure only what is established and most well-recognized and agreed upon to be discussed. What the fuck is there to discuss then? Its already known.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Is it? I say bullshit to that. There's plenty of established accepted mainstream science to be discussed, and plenty of "controversial" points within mainstream. Plus of course science is a discipline in continued progress.
    Plenty of legitimate questions being asked by those that are not being totally up with the science and answers given. That's what forums are for.
    When people discuss speculative topics, which I love by the way, it remains speculative.
    When folk come along and claim outright that GR is wrong, that GP-B and aLIGO were fraudulent, and that they are never wrong, when those same folk have no credentials, and cannot support anything they say, when those same folk argue against any and all mainstream cosmology, when those same folk ignore any and all professional references and evidence supporting the mainstream, when those same folk obviously have an agenda, most probably religious, I believe that they need to be confronted with their obvious nonsense and delusions of grandeur...even in the fringe sections.
    Politely and within reason of course. But just as obviously, those folk generally prove to not want to be reasonable and/or polite.
    No amount of self praise, and delusions of grandeur will ever change the fact that no new scientific theory will ever be forthcoming from any forum, nor will any mainstream theory ever be falsified or invalidated.
    Discussion of alternative hypothesis is welcome.
    Claiming they are fact is not.

16. geordief Valued Senior Member

I was just being flippant.Yes it is a big deal but it also gave me an excuse to point out the (inadequate adjective) scale of our surroundings.

Someone , on a science forum quite recently said that amateur scientists could do no useful work (I can't recall where I saw that) but this gives the lie to that.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  17. geordief Valued Senior Member

The Bible opens with "In the beginning was the word". It should have continued with "But........"

It is also , from hearsay and hazy recollection full of violence which must have been a reflection of the times it was set in.

Is the cultivation of peaceful attitudes a virtue or a necessity? Can it be a vice in some respects?

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think the adjective you seek may well be "infinite".
    In which case your large number may be hopelessly small.
    Maybe we need to do a recount.
    Alex

19. geordief Valued Senior Member

I have asked this question before . Does this scale we are set in have any significance or is it just a mundane physical reality.

It is easy to say "well, it shows how insignificant we are and shows up our previous sense of centrality/self importance" but is there more to it than that?

Is there some other lesson to be drawn? Are we not seeing the wood for the trees when we count the numbers? What is the wood like?

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Well, 'troll central' got shut down because the site owner was blackmailed by someone who got his RW name and a picture and threatened to out him. I was there out of curiosity about trolls. At this point in my life, they don't really bother me...its just words on a screen, after all.

Much of this upset doesn't seem as bad as some make it out to be, and I suspect that the involved parties actually enjoy the 'tit-for-tat' exchanges much more than they let on.

I enjoyed the reference to a 'damp squid' as I have always been partial to squid for some unknown reason.

21. geordief Valued Senior Member

I doubt you (or anyone ) would like to be at the end of an innuendo along the lines of what we are (trying not to) discuss.

Anyway ,I find squid to be a bit rubbery . Can it be cooked correctly to prevent that? I know that that is the secret to cooking scallops -avoiding rubberiness?

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I had breaded deep - fried squid rings once from a street vender in Barcelona that were crunchy and tasty, though they were still a bit rubbery. Yes, the trick with scallops is not to overcook them, I haven't tried that with squid though.

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Your dam right I did ....if that is what you want to hear and to provide closure I will remember it that way.
    Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.