What are we? Material Objects, or Persons w/ souls?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by TimeTraveler, Feb 11, 2007.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

This is a question, that will once and for all settle the athiest vs thiest debate.

Are we material objects, like the rock and the robot, or are we something unique, and different? Do we have a soul?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

both.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

There doesn't have to be a god for there to be a soul. That question has nothing to do with god(s). I don't think there's a soul though.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

We are entities with both a body and a soul. When we die our souls remain and occuPy another body...strength of soul determines the body it occuPies...thats what life is for...to strengthen or weaken the soul. Power of will.

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Big lumpsa meat.
    Ha ha. Good one.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You forget to give the real option: We are biological entities.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It's impossible to have a soul and not have a soul. You have to pick one. We have free will or we don't. If you are an athiest then you believe we cannot have free will anymore than a rock or a robot.

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

If there is a soul, the soul is God. People who believe in God, believe in God because they believe in souls.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

There is no logical way to go from atheist to having not free will.

Not that we have free will of course perse.

13. draqon Banned Banned

I am an atheist and I believe that we have free will and that we have a soul. I am an atheist and I believe there is no God. I am an atheist and I believe in reincarnation.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

If you don't have a soul then you are just a collection of configured atoms, that were configured by chance/accident, no different than a rock really.

15. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

So if God is the soul or the soul collective, then are you really an athiest?
    I highly suggest you reconsider your self classification.

16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Why not?

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

We are all Gods children, we all have souls which come from God the source, and that soul gives us free will, yet somehow athiest think it's rational to believe in free will yet not believe in God?

God is free will!!!

The rock has no free will because it has no soul.God is the holy spirit remember?

18. draqon Banned Banned

PerhaPs God is the soul collective...and that means I am Part of God, but that is not what other PeoPle believe in.

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Buddhists believe in that God.

See, you assume everyone believes in the same God, thats your own stereotype of all thiests. Some thiests are as scientific as athiests.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Someone would first have to make a convincing argument that we have free will if we want to conclude we have.
    How logical.

21. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

OK: I maintain that we're free to do anything within our physical power. Most of don't though, as we have work commitments. Discuss.

But seriously: are we, or are we not free, to do anything we jolly well please? I maintain that yes, we are. But naturally (or, rather, unnaturally) there are laws against that kind of thing.

You disagree? I don't see how you possibly can.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You are not free to do anything you want. When you need to go to the toilet you will go. You are compelled.

23. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

That's only because I don't have the physical power not to. I think I covered that. Continue.