What a goofy news article !

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Read-Only, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I saw the headline and had to go read the article - and it was even worse than I expected.

http://www.dexknows.com/article/what-is-three-phase-house-wiring-8160/

Two things really stand out:
    (1) What consumer needs that silly list of tools required? They will probably hire a contractor to do the work and the contractor certainly already knows what tools to use. And that also applies to the savvy individual who knows enough (and local codes permit) to do the work himself.

(2) The implication that you need 3-phase power in order to get 240/250v service is just plain wrong. It's obtained in any residence with single-phase service by tapping the two hot legs in your breaker (load distribution panel) box. Many residences already use that to power things like a cooktop, water heater, central air /heat pump, and in rural areas (like mine) a well pump. Even folks who have a workshop that contains tools like an arc-welder get the higher voltage from their single-phase service.

I don't know if the article was intended to be read by morons but it certainly was written by one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Apologies, I forgot to post the link the first time. It's there now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

link doesn't work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry. Guess the article timed-out OR someone realized how silly it was and removed it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

Link expired , what time it is Link ?