What’s up with the Rainbows?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by FieryIce, Aug 12, 2004.

1. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

What is going on in our atmosphere that these odd rainbows are photographed all over the globe. This APOD picture shows the odd solar arcs and halos even casual people are noticing.
    The rainbows I remember when I was a child never looked anything like these arcs, halos or circumhorizontal arcs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Solar Arcs and Halos

Circumhorizontal Arc Over Phoenix, August 12, 2004
    The full url to this EPOD is: http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=202592

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

Those halos are nothing new ... there's nothing wrong with the way they form. It all can be explained using atmospheric optics whereas in simple terms ... those irregular halos and arcs are created by the various alignments of the various typres of ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. Each alignment and shape of crystal defines the characteristics of many halos and arcs. Some are common and some are rare ... it just so happens you and other people were at the right place with the right atmospheric conditions to catch them.

This website explains it in greater detail:
    http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/phenom.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

It’s not smart to dignify posts from fieryIce with a response. Sure you can say that its caused by ice crystals in the high atmosphere, and that it has been happening for hundreds of millions of years, and that FieryIce is a dope for writing about it in conspiratorial tones, but the fact is he probably saw it on one of the kook pseudoscience web pages he loves so well, and has already heard that they are a result of a conspiracy between aliens and THE GOVERNMENT(tm) which will ultimately destroy all life on earth if noble people like him can't get the word out.

Also, regarding that second picture in particular, I am in Phoenix right now and that is not what the sky looks like. And if you click the link you posted under the picture you would see that it was not taken on August 12 (today). That is just the date the website has chosen to display it. Which is not to imply that the sky never looks like that, I have seen that kind of rainbow before several times, but it didn't happen like that today as you stated in your post.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

I've seen those once. They are probably associated with arid climate, since I saw one of those in the Mojave Desert.

8. manrey Registered Member

I've seen full circle rainbows, and inverted rainbows. I saw them while I was flying my plane, about 5000' ASL... not sure if that would make a difference or not.

9. craterchains (Norval What will you know tomorrow? Registered Senior Member

As Spymoose and manrey are both young, all most as young as this phenomenon, it would not be so new to them. But these ones as depicted in Ms. Fieryice’s second picture are rather new as an atmospheric anomaly. A bit of research in some older earth sciences books will show what I am talking about. The first one I saw was taken locally from an aircraft flying amongst the Cascades here in Washington (Not an arid place.) state and shown to me about 4 years ago. I to have flown a lot and have watched the sky for about 30 years longer than these younger ones and have had an interest in sciences for most of my life. Why anyone would lie about them not being a new atmospheric phenomena I don’t know, the halo’s are old and known, the other are not. Nor do I understand why spymoose has it’s panties in such a wad over Ms. FieryIce?

10. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

11. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

These are not new phenomena, they are actually quite simple. The Singularity is correct and I would suggest following his link. Personally, Ive seen many halo's around the moon at night, and many other wierd rainbows.

12. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

Well Tristan with your 18 years of knowledge, have you considered looking at information that pre-dates you?

13. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

There has been increasing reports of the polar ice cap showing significant melting, if that is so they why are our water levels not risen significantly. Could it be that this extra moisture in the form of ice crystals is actually making its way to the atmosphere or one of the upper levels in the stratosphere instead of causing surface flooding?

Would this increase in atmospheric ice crystals be the cause of this visual optics?
    Wouldn’t an increase in atmosphere ice crystals cause the surface to retain the heat, basically global warming.

What is so wrong with having a more even overall surface temperature with the solar radiation filtered thru a moisture-ice crystal layer?

Why do people equate change with threat?

14. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

The other day I saw a rainbow caused by a lightning flash. Way cool.

15. Essan Unknown entity Registered Senior Member

There are only 2 possible explanations: either those of us who actually know a smidgen of meteorology are right and these phenomena are perfectly normal. Or else it's a sign Ritchie Blackmore's getting the ol' band back together again.......