Welcome to sciforums 3.0!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Porfiry, Jan 7, 2004.

1. offend_the_gend Banned Banned

Sarge:
    Something tells me somewhen today.......he's getting rid of her too.

Adios?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Stay away from him and all comments on the layout and you should be dandy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

doh ..... why am i still here ? it seems porf hasn´t read my comment

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Really, it is sickening to see gendanken so docile or the Canadian be so vindictive over such a witless comment-- or should I say opinion. In any case, I suppose it's Dave prerogative, no? I daresay however that I am shocked. On the order hand, his reaction may have stemmed from a confluence of many factors?

8. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

ok just checking to see if wraithy boy isn't sleeping with the fish tonite too....

:bugeye:

so far so good.....

9. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

In case you haven't noticed, running sciforums is a thankless job. It's generally a waste of my time and a waste of my money. After spending many hours of my holiday time upgrading the site, gendaken has the gall to call my work "rape". Perhaps she has been raped and is qualified to make such a statement. More likely, she's just making inflammatory comments. However, my patience only stretches so thin, and being accused of a crime equivalent to rape is just somewhat over the line.

10. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

hmmmm if this is what the 3.0 looks like, i wonder what 1.0 looked like.

11. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

Dave we all appreciate what you do here, look at the time we spend here.
    Any rightminded person can see the effort you put in, there's no doubt.
    Yes I do see your point, but I don't think there was malice underlying her comments, just a clumsy, un diplomatic use of words.
    She's young man, shes lacks tact.
    Yes ultimately you can do what you please, this is your baby.
    A stiff PM would've been slightly more fitting.

But yeah rape was a totally stupid word to use, plus within the context of this thread it makes no sense anyway, and this comming from an intelligent, articulate member.

See gendy, this is what I was talking to you about. You may be a hotshot in school, and you may know your Phil, and science but you have yet to learn tact, and how to recognise someone's feelings.

now kiss and make up y'all.

peace.

:m:

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Good point... anybody have a sample?

13. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hey I thank you once a month with cold hard cash!

And i think there have been a number of threads filled with your praise porfiry.

In gendy's defense, I think you missed her point. In one thread she referred to this place as a monastary or something. If she then says a major change that feels uncomfortable to her feels like "rape", I'm pretty sure that's just an overstatement of her reverence for this place and the feeling of disdain she feels having the comfortable interface ripped from her. That's how I read it, something to that effect anyway.

Regardless, this community owes you a debt of gratitude and it seems I've seen a lot of people express it. Face it you bastard, people appreciate you.

Oh, and please let Gendy come back. She kicks ass.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  14. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It's a new user name, not a new persona. I'm still the same ol' me with the same hobbies, interests, opinions, etc.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Are you talking about resistance to the changes of SciForums' software, or just in general?

I think I am one of the most consistantly right-wing people here at SciForums, and I have no objection to change providing that the new is an improvement on the old.

I like the new look for SciForums, though I also liked the old one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but as long as everything on the site functions properly (buttons doing what they're supposed to do, etc.) I think appearance takes a back seat.

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I hope I am speaking for most or all other members when I say that you deserve a great deal of appreciation for creating and running SciForums.

I gladly show my appreciation every month by paying membership fees even though I could use the board for free. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who thinks most other message boards are too shitty to use even for free. Granted, my monthly fee scores me a way cool Spike Spiegel avatar and signature on my posts, but I can assure you that I wouldn't be giving any money to SciForums unless the quality of the board, its users, and founder(s) made it worth it.

And for the record, I don't know how many SciForums members are paying the monthly fee, but if just ten percent of us would shell out a measly $3.99 per month we could raise several thousand dollars per month to keep this place going. People obviously like posting here and more of us should show it by becoming paying members.

17. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Okay; I may have found a real problem.

When posting my previous message in this thread, the system logged me out when I hit the "Submit Reply" button, which means my post was deleted and I had to log back in and start over. This happened to me yesterday as well.

I'm not sure if it's a software issue, something I did wrong with my user settings, or something else, but it never happened to me before yesterday.

18. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

I hope I am speaking for most or all other members when I say that you deserve a great deal of appreciation for creating and running SciForums.

pffft .... he deserves nothing !
    he wants a forum so he has lot of work - there is no reason to complain about it like porf just did !! it´s his decision to have a forum .... and be sure , he don´t makes it for the user , he makes it for himself ...
    just a canadian on a powertrip , hence he has to kick people without real reason from time to time

ps : he already kicked enough people just to show his POWER ; he wants to show that he owns this place

19. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Personally, I think your new design, for all the neat little ad-ons you've slung into it, is hellish. You had something that was verging on intuitive and you threw it away. On top of that, everytime I log on now, I notice something else that is not there and think "Man, (insert name here) must be having a fit without that."

Now.

Let's cut the bullshit.
    Get your head out of your ass dave.Everyone else might be tiptoeing around you with reguards to the Gendanken banning, but I'm not going to.
    You want criticism of your work, you got it, and then you threw a fit when you didn't like what you heard.

You know what I see, Dave?
    A whiney little bitch.
    It's a waste of your time and money, and oh so fucking thankless.
    Then fucking stop.
    Yeah, people will throw a fit and whine and complain, but that isn't really your problem, is it? The truth is that you had an idea. You had this little dream i your head and, in some ways, have made that a reality.
    For that I say good job. Great work. Kudos. Bravo.
    However, your dream came with a price tag. I'm not talking about the dollars and time spent, Dave. I'm talking about having to put up with some people not liking what you do here or how you do it. Read between the lines.
    If they didn't like it, they wouldn't be here.
    But, I am running away with this and getting farther from the point.
    What is the point?
    Little davey doesn't like someone's word choice.

Grow the fuck up, man.

You, being the oh so wise muthafucka you are, dave, should know that that little word has alot of meanings, not all of them criminal. It looks to me like you've got some issues about something. Some one you know raped Dave?
    Boo fucking hoo.
    I known a few people who have been. Friends, lovers and family. Yet you are the one flying off the handle. What you did, Dave, is fucking retarded.
    You banned someone that has posted over 1500 posts in less than a year and has managed to quickly make herself one of the more well know names around this place over what, essentually, boils down to a personal dislike for their word choice??
    You know, if you want to go on pretending like you don't get any respect around this place, that's fine. I've seen you called many a name and in the next breath 10 people jump to your defense. Hell, look at the way your recent target licks your heels in her first entrance into this thread.

Basically, Dave, it boils down to this:
    If you are going to let Mods start flinging names and insults at someone their first day here (ask wraith about it), throw your "guidlines" to the wayside when ever comvienent, and have a total lack of respect for the people that love this place adn come here because of it, you can take your forums, your lines of code, and all your little software projects (I see now why you like the name inquisitor), and shove them up your ass, Dave.

Personally, if you want to waste your time banning people, do it to those who haven't posted in a few months. Do it to people that that do nothing but go on about the world blowing up in a supernova. Do it to people that cause problems for those of us that want to actually have fun here. Don't do it to people that come here damn near daily and profess their love for the place.

Fully expecting the ss to come and ban me away,
    -meph

Zeig Heil, Dave.
    Zeig Heil.

20. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

wow , meph ....
    i could imagine that dave already thinks about closing sciforums

21. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Personally, i feel it would be a pitty if he closed this place. Alot of amazing ideas get fleshed out here, and some truly intelligent people frequent the place. That alone says tons about dave's work here. Despite the fact that their are a few people here that I can't stand, I wouldn't wish the place to be shut down.
    No, I'm expecting the average banning. No big deal.
    Yeah, it'll suck having to spend the time to find a new place and get started all over again, but hell.

No, my point wasn't that dave should shut the place down.
    My point was that if he actually cares about sciforums, which one would assume he does, he would not ban the individuals that help make it what it is over a choice of words. No one accused Dave of rape, no one said he was a rapist. Hell, it wasn't even sujested that he might like ...Ok that would have been going too far, but you get the point.

To be honest, yes, i have a personal interest in this little situation. However, If F-hed, Tiassa, or even spookz (fucking poodle) had been banned for similar reasons, I would be just as loud about it.

So, here's to hoping dave keeps the place up and running for those of you who have made it what it is.

22. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

No, I'm expecting the average banning. No big deal.

you predicted your ban - so it´s unlikely that you´ll get banned ( i hope i haven´t changed the future now

)

cheers to your courage

23. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Hey, Porfiry, the site looks good. I like minimalism. It has a tech yet warm look.

When I have to study, I check into Sciforums once every few hours, just to relax. It is the place on the Internet I visit most.

So thank you.