Weight lifting and spill over ...?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Nick Stenson, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Nick Stenson Registered Member

When lifting weights you 'tear' the muscle. When the muscle repairs itself it becomes stronger and larger, right?

So im talking to somone who has been lifting for a long time and they told me something about 'spillover'. When if you work your ass mucsles and your quads(the biggest muscles in the body) then your body will 'spill over' what ever chemical it makes to repair muscles into all the other muscles. Granted you have to work out your other major muscle groups.(chest, abs, arms ect ...)

Is this true??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I doubt it. Because you still have to exercise all other muscles.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Did you read somewhere that the "repairing chemicals" will spill over onto other muscles? If you didn't, I wouldn't assume it happens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

If the muscles become stronger because they need to be repaired and these chemicals repair those muscles, how would the other muscles which weren't being used during that particular excersise need to be repaired at that extent?

8. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

What you refer to is the release of growth hormone. So if you work a larger muscle your body will produce more growth hormone. I've read research from both sides that say the increase in growth hormone will cause the 'spill over' effect and other research that says the 'spill over' effect is negligable.

I don't really know which to believe since both sound convincing, but if you work the legs your probably best off eating some extra protein since its a larger muscle and would require more. I work my legs once a week and I try to make sure I have extra protein afterwards.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member