We can question authority!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Thoreau, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Please see the following...

http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=102361

Why should we be forbidden to publicly discuss and express our opinions???? That's just as stupid as to tell us that anyone say says the word "the" will be punished. I think this is where the mods are overstepping their rules and responsibilties.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Are you shitting me?
    it is perfectly okay for us to ask these sort of questions. It is not (and should not be) against forum rules.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't want to offend you, and I don't have anything against you personally, but I want to say something about this sentiment. To be clear:

1.) We know that people don't like it when their friends get banned. This doesn't change the fact that sometimes assholes should be treated like assholes.
    2.) Plazma isn't a mod, he's an admin, which (to me) means proxy for the owners. Given this:
    3.) What rules? What responsibilities? The internet's a big place, and I'm sure there are discussion fora where people like sandy (for example) are welcomed contributors. We've decided that that's not the case here. Do you get to vote on this? Sure. You (again: not you specifically) can leave.

What gets me about this whole things is the grand illusion that this is some kind of a democracy. Internet democracies fail, as has been demonstrated time and again, because of the concentration of assholes and the lack of accountability. Sure, Sci COULD be a place where anything goes, but who would come and post here? Not me, for sure. Sci doesn't belong to ``us''. ``We'' don't pay the bills. ``We'' don't hack vBulletin to make all the nice features that are taken for granted. ``We'' enter into a contract that says we have a right to post here as long as the management doesn't deem us too big of an asshole.

Is it fair? Probably not. But people enjoy posting here because we keep the assholes out. Anyone is free to join. Anyone is free to post. But anyone is also free to be an asshole, and the management reserves the right to call assholes what they are: assholes.

Did sandy enhance your SciForums experience? Did draqon? If so, then you are in the extreme minority. draqon was full of shit, and sandy was deluded. Sci is better off without their likes. I'm sure you can find them somewhere else on the internet, because really: do you think draqon has a job or a social life? Do you think sandy doesn't have a dozen other screen names at fora like this, so that she can post conservative talking points during the commercial breaks on the Fox News daytime lineup?

Look---I shouldn't have wasted fifteen minutes writing this rant. But this is always gets under my skin. There are about 15 mods and three admins---roughly 20 people responsible for policing the discussions here. Don't you think it's telling that these 20 (independent, unpaid, disparate) people all feel the same way?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

ok to who?

or whom?

whatever.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Sometimes some people have the inability to be tactful with their commentary. Rather than operating with a modicum of courtesy that manage to blurt out with a torrent of tourette's.

It comes down to the old adage "Think before you open your mouth", since some can't... won't and don't think, Administration has veto'd in favour of thinking for them, by closing their ability to mouth without thought.

You should notice that the Administration made the decision. Whether it was the right decision isn't something to argue, however you could argue as to why the decision was made.

A number of members complain, they cause responses from moderators and members alike, which in turn causes a "soap opera". It's not like the Moderators sit round and have a discussion,

We aren't an instance of a popular or unwatched reality TV show (albeit an instance of Thames Television might well be near Sciforums current Epicentre) If we had of been then obviously we'd have a nice little Gossip column/blog flowing in Gen-X colours, instead the forum appears to be here for Scientific Discussion which sometimes seems to be overlooked and undermined by the myriad of other (irrelevant) discussions.

An interpretation of this you might understand MZ3Boy84 is if a bunch of Hetrosexual's turn up to a Homosexual parade and start protesting why their isn't a "Straight March", while they might well have a valid reason for wanting "a march for Straights" do you think the Homosexual organisers would see this as just a needless publicity stunt to serve the Hetrosexual's egotism, or see it as potentially an attack on homosexuals or just see it for what it is, a statement identifying the unfair treatment of Hetrosexuals through not having the ability to have a hetrosexual opinion (since after all it's illegal to be straight :/ Suggesting a prostraight opinion will likely cause some sort of legal quagmire because the homosexuals have control of the liberalised laws not too dissimilar to the Administration identifying that it no longer has tolerance for nag threads.).

9. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Sigh. Ok.

10. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Its still riduclues. We were not posting obsene, offensive, or anti-admin posts. None of which we posted was again the sciforums rules. We are allowed to post things about member being banned. A matter-a-fact, we were agreeing that she needed to be baned.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

If someone was banned for no good reason I think it's fine to ask why. If someone got banned for repeatedly being an asshole, not making the effort to behave better and think before spewing diarrhea...well, there you have your reason why.

13. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I agree. And sandy diserved to be banned. Thats not what is in question. Someone should not be able to be banned on this site because of their personal opionion about someone getting banned, or simply asking why they were. Its riduclus, and defeats the point of a forum site

14. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

What are these meant to prove? Police brutality? Moral defeat?

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

You say moral defeat, I say orderly discussion

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yeah you're right, good point. If you don't feel that someone did anything wrong, you should be able to say that, so long as you do it constructively, as opposed to 'Moderator X is an asshole'.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The portion you quoted is a rule.. :shrug:

18. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

To all: I admit I was wrong in the creation of this thread. Furthermore, I respect the opinions and judgements of both the moderators and administration. I offer my apologies if I've caused any confusion or aggravation.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

now if that aint a fairy tale ending!
    if ben just.........

for the love of god, dr ben
    stop already!!

.....i'd suspect that sci moved its servers to the garden of eden

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  20. Gustav Banned Banned

spidergoat
    James R
    06-17-10
    1 Day
    06-18-10, ~06:00 PM
    0 Days, 7 Hours
    advising another member to abort her child

i read and take it at face value
    sci has taken sides
    pro-life!

/woot

whats next, sigh?
    bombing clinics?

/chuckle

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Tomato, tomahto ... something about chucking fruit

For my part, I would suggest the offense wasn't so much the advice itself, but its reason. I was satisfied with giving my opinion of the remark, and formulating a new policy in hopes of bringing some civility back to our alleged Intelligent Community. Indeed, if you have not attended that latter, please do; I would appreciate your input.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

i was offended (not really) at the goatman's advice. if i were to take this advice to its logical conclusion, he was actually advocating eugenics....people of low iq should not be allowed to reproduce

it is hate that is being propounded and james was entirely correct in sanctioning the goatman

still tho plazma admonishes to read stated reasons for bans and as it stands, said reason, as stated, is funnier than hell simply because there is no context.
    one has to take it at face value.

who dare disagree??

23. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Well, we will be waiting awhile for this date to arrive considering it doesn't exist but I won't suggest you kill your babies over a typo. I'm just not that guy, ya know?