We Are All The Same Person

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Empty Dragon, Nov 19, 2002.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm... maybe this is obvious.. but this made me think about something I've been pondering. In the phsycial world, contradictions are generally disallowed, but in that which exists only mentally... or rather, that which is abstract paradox is the name of the game. Par for the course really. Don't you think?

I don't know if I ever see evidence that people are conscious of that. I mean, just two people having a conflicting opinion about something subjective that has no bearing on physical reality has an element of pardox to it. Two beings, each conscious of self, each convinced in their heart that the truth is something they know, each equally valid in that assertion. That's paradoxical for sure... well, at little bit at least.. eh?

What happens when these opinions are regarding issues of life and death? I think recognition of that fact can explain the bulk of humanity's problems regarding matter of opinion that might get you killed.

Pardon, indulged myself in a passing thought there. Pardon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

it makes 10% more sense than christianity. christianity makes -10% sense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Christ makes alot of sense. Christianity makes very little.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Canute Registered Senior Member

Firstly apologies for the length of this - but it's the most important subject there is (IMO) so...

There seems to be a lot of evidence, but it's all circumstantial (although much of it comes from science). Like some of you other contemplatives here I have some experience of this state - and you will know that once you experience it you just know that reality is a self-creation, that cosmic consciousness is a fact and that (at the deepest level) we are all one thing which is not physical. (Not being a proper Buddhist I don't like to call it Buddha nature - but I imagine it's the same thing).

The best evidence is that there seems to be no other logical explanation of why anything physical exists rather than just nothing.

Further evidence is that other than the complete illogicality (in metaphysical terms) of its beginning the world seems to be completely rational and logical to us. This strange coincidence is otherwise inexplicable.

Further evidence is our own consciousness, which is equally inexplicable (despite the hopeful and sophistic wrigglings of epiphenominalists etc).

It is also odd that the existence of cosmic consciousness (and ourselves as being part of it) has been the monotonously re-occuring conclusion of introspective philosphers for thousands of years. These were not all stupid or credulous people.

One of the problems about the idea is that it is in principle not scientifically falsfiable, thus it is therefore not a scientific proposition. However as the true and final explanation of existence must also be in principle unfalsifiable by science then the fact that it is unfalsifiable actually counts in its favour.

I like - "“This brings us to…the claim of materialistic science that matter is the only reality and that consciouness is its product. This thesis has often been presented with great authority as a scientific fact that has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. However, when it is subjected to closer scrutiny it becomes obvious that it is not and never was a serious scientific statement, but a metaphysical assertion maquerading as one. It is an assertion that cannot be proved and thus lacks the basic requirements for a scientific hypothesis, namely testability.” P240 Staislav Grof – The Cosmic Game – 1998 State University of New York

Also - "“Plato described knowledge of the divine as being implicit in every soul, but forgotten. The soul, immortal, experiences direct and intimate contact with the eternal realities prior to birth, but the postnatal human condition of bodily imprisonment causes the soul to forget the true state of affairs. The goal of philosophy is to free the soul from this deluded condition in which it is deceived by the finite imitation and veiling of the eternal. The philosopher’s task is to ‘recollect’ the transcendent ideas, to recover a direct knowledge of the true causes and sources of all things.” Richard Tarnas “The Passion of the Western Mind” Pimlico, London 1996 p10

8. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

I am most defiantly not the same as all of you so this must mean that we aren’t the same person. This topic is an incredible waste of space.

9. Canute Registered Senior Member

You'll certainly find it so if you think it is.

10. moonman Registered Senior Member

On the contrary, the thread asks a quintessential question about true individuality of a human and the nature of the universe.

11. Canute Registered Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. The topic cannot be a waste of space unless all attempts to understand reality are a waste of space (which is a possibility).

12. zoso Registered Member

zoso an understanding

basically my understanding of life is that were all one and the same being experiencing life from other points of view
    much like a coral in a reef is all one and the same animal but can see and feel from each pollom as an individual being. its almost as if we are all one thing that is life, life is a coral reef, and we all are just plant heads each generating and experiencing life for ourself as individuals. possibly explaining why when you meet somebody you really like, not just by looks, you tend to be on the same wave lengh and can share things that perhaps you couldnt with another being. this isnt what i beleive but my understanding of the saying we are all the same person, if you need more understanding youtube ted talks Garrett Lisi

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Buddhism is an idealistic philosophy in which everyone wants to be rid of suffering. But suffering is what moulds us. To be rid of all suffering is to be rid of all imagination.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think the one constant that we share is awareness (consciousness). It's intangible, pure, and the pinnacle of perception. It's the same for everyone, regardless of their condition. If there is a soul (universal or not), it is the lens through which we experience everything.

There's something to be said about the mind, too. Unfortunately, the perceptions of the mind are not a constant that we all share. So with the mind, we find individuality and diversity, even though there are countless similarities that we share in both thought and experience.

I would hazard a guess that the "same person" is the one who perceives through the looking glass like so many others.