Water: more oxygen, better taste?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Lilalena, May 23, 2011.

1. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

For those who may not be familiar with the term 'jumped the shark', the back story....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I am not going to read the thread on this one but shoot blindly.

There is nothing fresher than the freshest, purest, clearest water on Earth which in all likliehood comes from a tap and is purified a dozen times.

For the other 99.99% of us, we drink tap water and suprise! we're not all dead!

Dude- bottled water is so aughts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yep.
    Ozone plus water gives Hydrogen Peroxide plus oxygen.
    Snow contains some H202. which is possibly why it has a funny taste.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I think it means you dad failed chemistry.

More likely than not the bad taste you are getting from boiled water is either something that was dissolved in the water when you poured it into the pot, or it could be that minerals or some other material from the pot itself is leeching to the water when you boil it.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The water would have lost dissolved oxygen while boiling.
    If you boil water, put an iron nail in it, then seal it in a container, it will stay shiny.
    Repeat experiment with unboiled water, and the nail will go rusty.

It's a classic school experiment.
    If you leave the water alone in the open air, it will gradually absorb oxygen again.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  9. gvontaube Registered Senior Member

I think many of you have been mistaking oxidation for getting rid of the dissolved gasses etc. Boiling the water will get rid of the air dissolved in it, and leaving it for a while will re-dissolve the air back into it. This is not oxidation, oxidation is a chemical reaction, not a physical change. Oxidation means there is extra oxygen bonded into the molecules themselves, not having air dissolved back into it. I think that the gasses dissolved in it is what gives it the taste, as distilled water found in a lab has been boiled off, rid of the minerals and majority of dissolved air and chlorine that can be found in most waters.

Edit: Just wondering, has anyone tried adding more oxygen to water artificially to see whether it improves the taste or whether the taste is preferred because all we drink is what we are used to, and extra oxygen would taste similarly weird?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

water needs oxygen for animals to live in it . Lots of animals anyway . I don't know about the oxygen levels at the deepest of oceans but like you fish tank the fish need oxygen in the water . You got to think about this if you build a fish pond . Lakes do a thing in the fall . They call it the turnover , or flip . It re oxygenates the deeper waters in the lake . This helps keep the lake stay healthy .