Was Teddy Roosevelt a war lover?

Discussion in 'History' started by nirakar, Oct 10, 2009.

?

Was Teddy Roosevelt a War Lover?

1. Yes, Teddy Roosevelt was a war lover.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No, Teddy Roosevelt was not a war lover.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I have no clue whether Teddy Roosevelt was a war lover.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Teddy Roosevelt was sort of a war lover but "war lover" is the wrong term.

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Teddy Roosevelt was about average.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Now what? If all his designated "contemporaries" in the narrow definition given were imperialistic and war mongering, its wrong to say that so was he?

Make up your mind. Beating dissent with a club is as old as the hills, its atavistic to stand up on your hind legs, inflate your chest and beat it in show of strength. Nothing new about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

You've yet to demonstrate, even state anything supporting your claim that Roosevelt was a warmonger. All you've done is state your opinion and mis-state quotes. No surprise, you're usual hate-America stance on the issue dictates your approach.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

As one raven correctly mentioned, all the evidence has been laid out. Even you are not arguing that he was a pacifist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

Duh, SAM. I'm arguing that he was ahead of his time, that he was a progressive intellectual and that he was ultimately a great man, despite his flaws.

~String

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What was ahead of his time about his policies? All this "spreading democracy" by military intervention has been the death of millions, literally.

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

Sam you're evading. Get an argument or get out.

10. superstring01 Moderator

Making the USA the first nation to ban child labor, his obsession with protecting worker rights, his protection of racial minorities, his busting of trusts, his belief in an international court of arbitration, his pressuring of the US government go provide huge sums of money to help Latin America. Pick a few.

Either you're stupid or blatantly lying in your avoidance of facts and your games are getting old. It's no wonder you keep getting banned, you've become a witless troll. Pick up a book, any book, on the guy and read it. This is the part about good faith that you miss. As usual, you're blinded by your hatred of everything American.

~String

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I guess you need to be the one with the finger on the button to see the positive aspects of forcing your ideology on others without consideration of the consequences for them.

TR believed in pushing the American system onto others, by military force if necessary, because he thought it was the best.

Thats the same kind of thought process the Taliban used in its short rule on Afghanis. When do you suppose they will get the Peace Prize?

The Taliban banned opium production.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Liar. They continued production and funneled it to the west. They also enslaved women and destroyed ancient monuments, killed Christians and apostates amongst other things. Your comparison highlights your childish desperation.

Remember SAM, I know this is difficult for someone of your limited intellect: a man has to be judged in his time. Not ours.

~String

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, they merely liberated others who opposed their righteous ideology. Collateral damages in the righteous march. If only others would adopt and follow what they believe is right, they wouldn't be forced to intervene.

And the banning of the opium made international headlines, its the only time in the history of opium production in Afghanistan that it came to a standstill. Of course, plenty of farmers suffered from the inevitable economic consequences. But opium is BAD and the Taliban couldn't be bothered about the human cost.

Did TR care about the human cost of his military interventions? Did he keep a body count? Did he consider the irony of forcing democracy on people? Or did he just believe that if you bombed them enough, they'd eventually see the wisdom of his ideology?

14. superstring01 Moderator

Really, who did TR bomb? What nations? What nations were "forced" to adopt American ideology?

Note: so you admit you lied about the stopping of opium production.

~String

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Did I say he did? I asked you what he believed. He believed in the Big Stick Ideology.

As one raven has said, "advocates, endorses, or tries to precipitate war" or "advocates or attempts to stir up war."

There is a distinct trend among moderation here to see things that are not written and not see things that are.
    For example:
    More like, you admit you have reading comprehension problems. Try again:
    http://www.tni.org/detail_page.phtml?page=archives_jelsma_taliban

16. countezero Registered Senior Member

That's probably the worst explanation of the Roosevelt corollary or his diplomacy that I have ever read. Roosevelt most certainly was not amoral or a practitioner of realpolitik.

To echo String, read a fucking book. Quit making dumb arguments and then trying to wiki things to back them up.

And I've asked you both, about four times now, what war Roosevelt started? So far, I've not got an answer.

Sam, the Taliban banned Opium production, but they continued to traffic in it themselves. So is that really a ban? I don't know. I guess it's a ban for some people, not others.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're American so your ignorance is understandable. I watch real news.

Amazing, it even made the American press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/20/world/taliban-s-ban-on-poppy-a-success-us-aides-say.html

18. countezero Registered Senior Member

Okay, Sam. I tried. I went one round, you resorted to your usual. I'm not going to respond to your insults or your trolling. When you have a relevant to say about the thread topic, let me know.

19. draqon Banned Banned

SAM provided all the links and all the facts proving Roosevelt the deeds of evil he has done. So be a man at least and accept your loss.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

I've seen nothing approaching a fact from Sam in this thread or others.