Was it good that the U.S dropped the atomic bombs?

Discussion in 'History' started by Possumking, Apr 23, 2006.

1. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i think he was talking about a theoretical invasion of the japanese mainland.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Still. Even D-day didn't have a 1000 casualties per hour and that was the biggest military operation ever. There weren't even near enough that many troops in the pacific.

What was one of the bloodiest battles ever? Stalingrad. But the situation is difficult to compare with that. In stalingrad two huge land armies clashed. And none wanted to surrender. None was following sensible military doctrine. The harsh climate alone took countless victims. The battle raged for almost 200 days.
    But this was an army whose tactics were based on sacrificing human meat to bleed the german army to death. 500.000 deaths in 200 days ~ 2500 deaths per DAY. that's about 100 death per hour. Not 1000. A factor 10 difference.

And remember stalingrad is the considered to be one of the bloodiest battles ever with the soviet union suffering the most of both parties.

I think the website you mentioned made an error. It happens.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

there were people for and against the war
    there were japanese that was willing to surender but many would not

there were military men that thought attacking the US was suicide but they did anyway

the fact of the matter is that the japanese dealt an underhanded blow at pearlharbor
    why do i say underhanded? because japanese diplomats was in washington dc stalling for time so their navy could move into position

another thing to remember is that the bomb would eventually be developed
    germany was seeking to develope it
    japan was researching the possibilities but came to the conclusion it was impossible with their current budget

japan also built aircraft carriers that were larger than was allowed under the then current conventions
    japan also figured that if they dealt a knockout blow at pearlharbor that the US would be forced to sue for peace

so with all of those things taken together and remembering that we have the advantage of hindsight i believe that america had no ulterier motives

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

that figure isn't a sustained loss

i should clarify and say within the first few hours
    like i said the link is posted in one of these threads

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

oh...

but that is normal. And actually most casualties during D-day occured on one beach. The resistance on others was much lower. I would imagine japan didn't have an atlantic wall, or should we say pacific.

But sure..initial losses would be greater than sustained losses.

9. candy Valued Senior Member

The high loss projections were based on the assumption that invading the home island would be as bloody as the battle for Okinawa not on what happened in France.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, it was sure great that the U.S. entered WWII and conquered Japan. Just imagine how bad the world would be if Japan had remained unchecked in its ambitions. Why by today we'd probably be seeing a giant nation in Asia with the ability to challenge U.S. cultural and economic superiority. It would be making economic colonies of the nearby Asian nations. Violating copyrights. Putting entire American industries out of business. Violating human rights. Thumbing its nose at Western values. Yes sir, it's a good thing we destroyed Japan.

11. candy Valued Senior Member

The Japanese decided to declare war on the US not the other way round. I doubt the countries that Japan had invaded wanted to continue to be brutally occupied by Japan. Any Korean or Chinese posters care to voice an opinion about having Japan as the dominate force in the area.

12. houseofknowledge house of knowledge Registered Senior Member

i believe that the atom bomb should not have been invented fore we are now doomed and sooner or later a nuclear bomb will hit some country and so a nuclear holocost will follow by eliminating the human race and maybe even the planet.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

we destroyed japan??
    what is it with you fraggle rocker.
    everything that japan is today is a direct result of american involvment

but you are correct it is a good thing that we destroyed what japan used to be.

14. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Leopold, I'm fairly certain that Fraggle was being satiric by talking about modern day China, not the literal 1940's Japan.

AmishRakeFight

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  15. UNIVERSE TODAY Banned Banned

America shouldn't have nuked Japan.

It shouldn't have embargoed Japan and interfered with an Asian war that had been going on for millenia.

Japan was at war with China two years before WW2 even started. They had mostly conquered the huge neighbouring nation at great cost in troops, pilots and resources. Then this stupid foreign power sticks its nose in.

While Japan was already exhausted and still struggling with resistance in the chinese countryside the Americans EMBARGOED them!

No wonder they bombed Pearl Harbour. They had no choice.

Then these gutless Yanks NUKE them!

America sucks!

16. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Yeah well said UT if only the Japanese had been left alone they could have completed the conquest of China, imagine the rape of Nanking times 100

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The yank bastages MADE Japan bomb Pearl Harbor!

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Wait a sec... If somebody thinks we should have stood by while Japan sodomized half of Asia and all of the Pacific, that means that they shouldn't be able to complain about anything America does. Ever. At our worst we still don't pull that rape and enslave crap in war.

We could sack Rome tomorrow and Universe couldn't complain.
    Sweet.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

so which was it two years or millenia?

19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The offical casualtie figures are this, KIA< 300,000, WIA< 300,000 for a total figure of < 600,000 military casualties
    The greatest human losses, as indicated below, were suffered by combatants and civilians of the Soviet Union and China. In the near two-and-a-half year siege of Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) by the German forces, 1 1/2 million Russians alone died from shelling, bombing, disease and starvation, a figure that exceeded all the military casualties of the U.S.A.and British Commonwealth combined. The cruelties perpetrated by morally depraved units of the Japanese army in China is demonstrated most vividly in the torture and massacre of civilians and the barbaric killing of war prisoners in the infamous Rape of Nanking that took the lives of over 300,000 Chinese. Other mass civilian deaths, apart from the singular destruction of European Jews, comprise the hundreds of thousands of slave laborers in the Japanese-held Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia) as well as the 1 1/2 million deaths in Bengal as a consequence of war-related famine
    Country Pop. Killed/Mising Wounded Total(Military) Civilian (deaths)
    China 450m 1.3 million 1.8 million 3.1 million 9 million
    Japan 72m 1.75 million ? ? 350,000

20. houseofknowledge house of knowledge Registered Senior Member

I just think that the dropping of the atom bomb was just an excuse for displaying "American Power". But then on the other side it did prevent many further casualties.

21. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

Do we have to go through this again? Of course the Americans wanted to make it seem as though it prevented further casualties. Wouldn't you? Would you want to say "Well we killed hundreds of thousands people even though we would have had less fatalities if we only waited a few more weeks."?

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

how do you know that we would have had less casualties if we waited a few more weeks?

23. houseofknowledge house of knowledge Registered Senior Member

the point is that we would have more. That's the main reason the bomb was dropped. The new scare is microwave guns. If u fired one it can go through a tank and reach the crew inside burning them inside out.