Was it good that the U.S dropped the atomic bombs?

Discussion in 'History' started by Possumking, Apr 23, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why discuss anything then? Why have a WEP forum? Why discuss science in the science forums? The original researchers are not participating. Darwin isn't defending his theory because he is dead.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

So it was a religious war?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

no, the japanese people thought their emporer to be a god

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The Emporer was ready to surrender, yes but it took the 2nd bomb to convince the military, there were officers that were going to try to take the Emporer into protective custody to keep him from surrendering,and continue the war, and remember we are looking at history wich gives us a clear view of events that the participents did not have, so is it fair to judge them from our perspective?

8. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Assuming that the bombs were thrown for political reasons. Could you guys come up with anything other than showing Russia who's the boss? Or be more specific on it, how did the Russians answer the nuclear bombing?

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

russia declared war on japan was the immediate response

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

let me put it to you this way..id rather a japanese man id never met die than my grandfather who was about be sent out to the war as the european side of the war had just finished

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

And? This justifies the use of nuclear weapons? Because you like your grandfather?

So it is ok for Iran to use nukes too. Because this iranian guy likes his grandfather more than a random american guy?

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

well as a brit i couldnt give a flying fuck if an iranian wipes a few of you out

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I just wish they wait till after 1st of june when I have left the US.

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

what nationality are you then spurious

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

The monkey hails from Central Afrika but he left his familie behind and moved out several years ago to persue a life as a high rolling scientist in a faraway country, something he has recived both fame and medals for.

somewhere along the way he found a mate (maybe here) they live on happly togetter following naturs call until one day they decided to move once again to a new zoo, but life was not as good there as they had hopped and now the monkey is packing his bags once more.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

17. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

the fact that nagasaki was on a hilly land saved it from total obliteration. the plutonium bomb dropped had 7tonnes more tnt than the hiroshima bomb. it was only the fact that hiroshima was on flat land as to why it was more badly damaged than nagasaki

18. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

You're speaking out of your ass, from what you personally feel the circumstances were. Japan had NO FOOD. They were blockaded! Japan WAS going to surrender. The following is a QUOTATION from president trumans diary:

"P.M. [Churchill] & I ate alone. Discussed Manhattan (it is a success). Decided to tell Stalin about it. Stalin had told P.M. of telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace. Stalin also read his answer to me. It was satisfactory. Believe the Japs will fold up before Russia comes in. I am sure they will when Manhattan [reference to Manhattan Project] appears over their homeland. I shall inform about it at an opportune time."

Truman knew they would surrender. But he didn't want to "waste" a $2,000,000,000 project, and he wanted to intimidate the Russians.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

possumking
    of course the emporer wanted to surrender
    but the military did not
    as a matter of fact there were hawks in the military that thought the emporer to be a traitor to the japanese people

all the way up till the bombs were dropped the japanese were fighting fanaticly
    if america invaded the japanese homeland the loss of life on both sides was going to be horendous

its been estimated that 1000 men per hour would die
    and that was considered a conservative estimate

20. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And again remember we are argueing from the point of history were we have all the facts, remember also comunication systems back then did not allow for almost insantanious transmission of information, the internet didn't exist, so yes you can find lots of people who knew some things, but could it be collated into a usable information form that could be used to make totaly informed decissions?

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Nonsense. You lost 279.000 men in the entire war on every front. Did you fight only 279 hours? Even d-day only had a few thousand casualties and that was the biggest landing ever against fortified positions.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

no, it isn't nonsense
    i got that figure from a website and i posted the link to it in one of these threads somewhere.

23. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Then explain the logic there, if you will.
    The math does not quite add up.