Warhammer 40k Vs StarTrek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Fettman, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Who would win?

1. Warhammer40k

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. StarTrek

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

SM Bolters fire explosive .75 calibre rocket-propelled rounds

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

That capital ship design is awesome, but, Trek would still win hands down.

Since you said "anyone" in the Trek universe
    - the Borg are known to number in the multiple trillions of drones. STVOY S5 E15/16
    - The Q, Organians and Travellers are close to omnipotent as you can get.
    - Species 8472 and the Federation have technology capable of flaying a planet in one swoop (Species would be their combination ship weapon, and the Federation would be the Genesis device...admittedly used as terraforming technology, but who says they have to wait for your W40K troops to evacuate a planet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    - The Haakonians' Metreon cascade is a wide dispersal weapon, known to have killed quarter million life forms in one detonation, by force blast and collateral radiation fallout.

Just as a start.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Okay, it looks like a more even playing field than I had thought.

With the 40k universe, no side has any semblance of a civilian society, everything they do is geared towards war. If they couldn't defeat the Star Trek universe before the Trekkians converted everything to full scale war machine mode, then 40K might be in trouble.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Well, the Borg know nothing but conquest in the search for perfection. Q et al. don't really care about war/peace/civilianship/military etc, they would adapt - they just protect the continuity of the universe/multiverse however necessary. Starfleet is the Federation's military arm, along with their allies.

Haakonians invented the Metreon Cascade during a war (which was more of a massacre). We don't know much about their population outside of that military movement.

There doesn't seem to be a need to convert civilians.

8. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Sounds like fun.
    1st Chaos lets start with them oh how dreadful they are they make the borg look like pussies, chaos uses magic they have Warp gates that allow them to board your ship with countless demons and unless you have a mind that has the will of a SM you wont be able to resist the effects of the warp they can break you and turn you into a slave or melt your body, So unless you crew has the faith and the will of a sm they can be taken over easy.

9. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

"Imperial Guard in the game universe, the Imperial Guard is a colossal military organisation consisting of many billions of men and women from millions of different worlds and systems within the Imperium of Man. A single regiment consists of roughly ten thousand fighting men."

The holy fleet
    Each Battlefleet is assigned a number of cruisers and battleships, usually between fifty and seventy-five vessels.

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

- Faith is irrelevant, will is irrelevant. Magic is irrelevant. They are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will add to theirs.

- Hell, mere Federation soldiers have anti-telepath training! Captain Picard (an old man) was able to sustain psychological and physical torture for about a week. Director Sloan was able to resist a mind scanning machine on his deathbead. Ferengi are immune to telepaths. The Borg hive mind can (conceivably) only be attacked telepathically on the homeworld, after fighting through trillions of them and many many fleets. Betazoids are capable of telepathic battles. Q. Bring it on.

- Magic has no bearing on the Trek universe. The closest to magic in the Trek universe is Q powers and telepathic/telekenetic abilities. Both of which have been stated to definitely not be magic in origin.

11. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Srry I thought you would know more about Warhammer if you were going to get into this debat magic in Warhammer40k is pure psychic energy.

12. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I think that you used the word "magic" to make it un-battleable by a technologic universe. I do admit though, that I know very little about W40K. Since we're back to a biological (brain) function however:

Well, the Fed anti-telepath training, Ferengi immunity, Borg pseudo-immunity, Q and Betazoids all count as great anti W40K. The Romulans' anti-telepath training are even better than Fed since they are related to Vulcans.

All telepathic races on Trek cannot telepathically attack the Borg, none of the trillions of drones have a unified mind to attack. Their cortical processors do the thinking for them and of course a telepath cannot read the 'mind' of a machine.

Q et al of course would laugh at mere mortals who think they can wield psionic abilities. The Organians would simply halt the entire Warhammer fleet and disable every single Warhammer weapon everywhere, exactly as they did to the Federation and Klingons in TOS.

Betazoids are powerful telepaths and have engaged in one or two mind battles in TNG. Deanna Troi is capable of dealing a telepathic death blow from a distance, to multiple targets (Deanna's expanded ability is not strictly canon, but 'strict canon' is in the Wars v Trek thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have read a few warhammer 40k novels and a warhammer fantasy novel, they are all very good books,

the fantasy book i read was called "gardians of the forest," and the 40k book i liked most was called "false gods" both by graham mcneil,

you can find novels on this site from this genre, they are very good books if you like scifi and fantasy,

www.blacklibrary.com

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

and only a fool would refer to the eldar as mere mortals

15. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Chaos gods Khorne god of war, Nergle god of death, Slaanesh god of decadence, Tzeentch god of change, manipulation, scheming and sorcery.
    not just beings like Q, GODS! and they always interfear with the wars of Warhammer, and Psi powers in Warhammer are nothing like anything you have seen. So I ask you before you say anything more about anti-telepath training plz go study up on warhammer40k

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  16. SteinerNein Registered Member

'Magic' trumps technology.

When plasma can be stopped by belief you've pretty much hit gold. Furthermore, technology cannot deal with the Warp as well as the Warp can deal with itself. It's pretty much a stalemate at best, there's no proof that Q can deal with the Warp as the Warp is 'magical' in nature. C'Tan is a god who feeds off of suns, he's not exactly technological/logical.

If Q can't deal with the Warp then you've got an issue. Furthermore, the Eldar have plenty of apocalyptic weapons that can consume whole galaxy (they almost did it by sheer will power) and turn it into another 'Eye of Terror'. As for planet destroying? Exterminatus is common practice, but under bombardment a planet will be completely obliterated - it's nothing special.

Federation soldiers are no match for Space Marines nor Imperial Guardsmen, nor anything 40k has to offer save maybe the cultists, there's something about sound battle tactics , boarding tactics, and armor they lack.

As for the Borg, in any argument they're a joke. In this case they're out-teched by the Imperium/Other Factions and cannot assimilate anything pertaining to the Warp, furthermore they're out manned by the Tyranids and Orkz who just love getting into melee range and crashing into things.

Eldar webway portals cannot be stopped and thus free hit and runs begin on any station or place, free slaves for the Dark Eldar blah blah blah . In the end, it's still a one sided fight and if you bring Q , I bring the Chaos Gods, which would end in a tie at worst for Warhammer.

Mind battles are common place in 40k and so is lifting up tanks with your mind and throwing them around dealing damage to it. So is also frying whole squads of people with eldritch energy. Then again so is teleporting to any location regardless... so I guess spot a ship teleport on with full terminator squad and proceed to obliterate.

Also, the Imperium even in its decayed state outproduces the Federation and anyone else, a single loss of a world would do little to nothing and since we're going all out then space travel would be instaneous as the Warp would favor 40k in this instance. Oh hell , why not, and have all the sentient races of 40k pile in their belief into one thing and create an omega entity of utter ridiculousness and trash whole planets by playing bowling with star systems.

So no, Trek would lose hands down in a pure match up. But, let us make note that this whole thing is silly because 40k is based off of magic and magic always trumps technology.

Being telepathic doesn't mean you automatically know how to protect your brain from getting shreaded within by daemons, nor does it mean you can shield your vessel from a party. In a matter of fact, that is completely alien and unorthodox to Star Trek, also Trek telepaths behave differently than 40k ones suggesting a biological difference. 40k Telepaths are more akin to spellcasters.

17. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Well put.

18. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Btw the powers of some psykers can destory souls, Grey Knights can use a power called Holocaust to totaly destroy a enemies body.

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Why oh why hasn't a truly great FPS been made out of 40K?

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i like warhammer 40k and startrek!

21. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Actually I was thinking that the StarTrek Spaceships would be far superior to Warhammer 40k.
    The latter might be heavily fortified and armed, but in StraTrek all spaceships can get to warp speed at any time, which the Warhammer 40k version cannot (just enter the warp). So essentialyl every rocket beam/whatever would just hit empty space. In addition, I forgot whether the Warhammer ships had decent shields. If not, just beam the crew into the space.
    Also, StarTrek ships could beam shock troops/explosives/marshmellows anywhere they want onto surfaces, thus having a huge tactical advantage (as compare to drop ships, which would be easily picked up and destroyed by superior StraTrek sensor/weapon combos).
    It`s not always about guns.
    I wouldn't take bets on close combat, though.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

'cos wartythou is a bunch of unoriginal, miscegenated, over-priced rubbish?

23. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The models are overpriced to be sure, but I think the enormous amounts of backstory and concept art could go quite far to making a decent videogame of some kind.

I should try Dawn of War and Fire Warrior, I guess.