War!

Discussion in 'History' started by Omega133, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Depends what you mean by "started".
    The He 178 flew before the E.28/39 but the Meteor entered squadron service before the Me 262. (Which is what I stated: Introduction of the jet-powered aircraft to service).
    However the British had a working jet engine before the Germans (the German prototype was an externally-powered turbine, not a self-contained unit).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I must admit thats alot more then Iknew about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Meh, you can STILL find hundreds, if not thousands, of web pages (and books) that call the Me 262 "the world's first operational jet fighter" but it was given to a test squadron (actually a trials and development unit - Erprobungskommando 262 ) in April '44 (which did see combat but doesn't strictly class as operational) and was shut down later that year for assessments of capability to be made before introduction to squadron service.
    Whereas Meteor was handed over to the RAF 1st June '44, to a regular squadron (616 sqn.).
    Jagdgeschwader 7 (JG 7) was formed in January '45 as an operational 262 unit (but still took some time before beginning operations).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I hate to change the subject but did you know we fought a war against the Barbary Pirates in the 1800's?

8. mike47 Banned Banned

I am both a humanist and a pacifist . I see all wars as unnecessary and futile . In any war innocent people die and suffer . It is a human tragedy that at the end of 2009 we are still witnessing wars and civil wars that destroy millions of human lives . If people elect only those who are honest, peaceful, and just; we can put an end to futile suffering and unnecessary deaths by the millions .

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

There are plenty of wars that are necessary and purposeful.

10. decons scrambled egg Registered Senior Member

war is hell,
    doesn't mean;
    hell is hot,
    war is hot,
    war is sexy.
    it means,
    war is not
    for the living.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

That was true, now war is obsolete and is no longer useful.

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

If only that were so...

13. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well I said before war is not obsolete it needs to change yes but it is not obsolete if there is no war there will be limited to no progress in many many areas. And war is all so a form of population control with out war there will be more people with more people come more problems with more problems there will be war we cannot escape the fact that war is defiantly needed for the advancement of material needs as well as it is needed to keep the worlds population in check. Look at it this way if there are no wars then everyone every where will have to be forced into a communistic way of population control and have a limit of children that a family can have. And at some point there would possibly even need to have forced sterilization after 1 or 2 children have been born. So you see war can serve a purpose and it serves that propose very well.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but those areas are strictly war absed, why would we need better guns, missiles, bombs, fighters, nukes, if there were no war? Anything that needs war in order to move forwards in progress is obviously meant for the purpose of harming human life.

Bull, total and complete bull. the world population is around 6 billion people. Not nearly enough people are killed in war for it to be called population control. Hell, look at world war 2, the side that lost the most people, Russia, lost several ,million people, total, 65+ million people died in world War 2, and the world population was already in the billions, I dont think it put that much of a dent into world population.

Theres pretty much zero chance of that sort of thing happening. And as I said before war does not do crap for population control. The recent Iraq war not even 100,000 people have died, boy thats quite a dent in world populations of 6 billion.

15. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

So there would not be any need at all for advancement of air planes ship building space exploration. No need for advancment into micro fibers that insulate better no advancement in better safe faster communications then either.
    As for Populations control it does have an effect on the world populous I am not just talking soldiers there is the cavillian causualties as well. Enough people do not die every day from everyday causes to be able to maintain the population at levels that the earth can sustain. With out war we would find fairly quickly what we have and have not advacned and exactly how well it does indeed control populations.

16. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

i think it's funny how US helicopters in Iraq can detect radar and heat seeking missiles and satellite lock up and laser targeting and all kind of new targeting technologies then get blown up without one light in the dashboard turns red.:shrug:

because an Iraqi sucks his thumb, estimates wind speed, evaluates the distance and manually fires an RPG:roflmao:

17. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"war isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.."

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

:jawdrop:i imagined you say all that with one breath.
    but hot damn man.. you sure know your wars..

so you might know about this;
    is it true that watermelons were used against passing vehicles(tanks) and they were effective? because the relative speed and the mass of the watermelon pack a punch(momentum)..

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Those werent inspired by war... modern rocketry was developed by civilian science, and space exploration by definition is not military.
    What in the world makes you think that space exploration has squat to do with the military?

Airplanes were built by the Wright brothers and developed by civilians, and even then, why in the world would I need a jet fighter? Id just get on a 747 and those werent developed by the military.

Micro fibers? Like teflon? Teflon was discovered by accident by a scientist in a civilian chemical company called I think Dupont.

Communications like the internet were developed by scientists once again civilian as a way to transmit and share information about their work, the first message to ever go through the internet was "lo"
    And it is managed in every and all senses by civilians.

Bullshit and if you had brains youd know it. In World War 2 less than 100 million people died INCLUDING civilians. And the world population was already a couple billion. That didnt even put a sizeable dent in the world population.

War is not population control, it does not kill nearly enough people. Hell, if every soldier in the world were to die right now, that still would not make a dent in the population. If 1 billion people died per war, the equivalent of the US being exterminated 3 times over, THAT would make a difference.

You know, the earth can sustain the amount of people we have on it pretty readily... its just when people decide to dump their crap in a rainforest that problems arise. Youd be suprised how far we need to go before population becomes a problem.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

No, he just points the rpg straight and shoots.

And even then, the fact is its not one rpg its a few dozen, after a while somethings gotta hit.

21. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Have you not read anything that has been posted here the Jet propelled plane period end of story no take backs was developed by the Military and yes rocketry was started in the back yard but again it took the military to make it bigger and better. As for population control it does work along with everything else in the world it works. As for the rainforest that is a problem yes one that a good war could eliminate he with the biggest stick gets to make the rules it has been that way since the dawn of man after all we are animals and there allways allways has to be an Alpha male and Female it is in our DNA to be agresssive towards each other.

22. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Oh and teflon is not a fiber it is a form of Plastic. And all most everything was developed by joe or jane public it takes the military to advance it.

23. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

And BTW if you had the brains to understand you would find at the bottom a MILITARY Contract. The INTERNET was developed by Civilians FOR THE MILITARY.