War, what is it good for?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wesmorris, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Neither do I. But I'm pretty sure that with my (I as I sit here) death the universe shall not cease to exist.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

as Heisenburg, the famous physicist said....we are suspened in language'--ie., it's hard to explain ambiguity with certain languages, because of their tendency to structuralize the very premises that need seeing THROUGH, etc

that taken care of..let me have a go of what i belief is 'after life'

death is always with life, not just at the end. you cant have movment, and time without death....ie., death of a moment? simultaneously births new moment

obviously it'd be completely HORRIBLE if noone died, yeah? we would be as sardines on the land, and probabl would have to live on the sea. so decay and death is part of the NEEd for renewing life

now......you cant be me. in certain circumstances like non-ordinary experience one can feel being me, or a tree, or even the universe, but usually one has the sense of being a 'me', or an 'I'.....now i am gonna replace 'I' with 'EYE'...you are an 'eye' as i am an 'eye', as the horse is an 'eye', th 'dog' etc etc etc

so we can say that the universing is diversely eyeing

so what happens when an 'eye' dies?

as you say, we can see that when a body dies, that the universe carries on, and we see other bodies being born...true? i sahre this experience with you, in that i also see that too

now the literalist religionist will believe that death means AWAY from here to heaven, or waiting for the last judgment, etc

the aitheist/agnostic may believe that it is just darkeness that will be for them. ie., that their 'eye' will shut for ever and ever.

but as said, the universe EYES. you and me and they are eyeing NOW........so if we are eyeing NOW we can eye again....and whereelse but this Earth that we can see stats when eyes die?

this is why it is so important to really care about Nature, and resolve war. because what eyes like to open their eyes in horrible worlds creaed by ignoramouses? that create living hells for people, because of lack of deep insight and love

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course, eternity without birth and death would be only death. Or you can say that life is the moment when we experience eternity, but I see no need for violent death.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

How very thoughtful and enlightened.

"truely useful".

Oh?

I can tell you've put a lot of thought into this.

Useful to who? By whose standard of "truely"?

Don't you contradict yourself? You say it isn't truely useful, but then say people use it to attain what they want. That is a use that seems true, but not particularly palletable.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

At the moment we are all being oppressed with TIME, and the sense of eternity is taboo. all of this culture-circus is a 'race against time'...to 'get TO...' (errr where??)...frantic enegy all round. and war is part of this ignore-ance of the eternal that encapsulates Time~~~~~

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't need any chinese simbols in order to think. Thank you.
    Yes, to you it is. But it's a self-inflicted taboo.

10. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

ok,im completly lost.........dont fink i belong here..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no wish to do away with all wishes. It's just a side effect in my path. A mind with no desire can create, kill, sustain with no desire. It's an impartial singularity, formless centre, Kali if you wish, it's alive and dead at the same time, with no distinguishing between them. Thus no longer there is desire and fear, you become what you desired and feared.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The same will as to write a poem, the same will as it is to sing a song at a sunrise. I just do it with no thoughts about any consequences it may cause or any reasons, or motives. I have no desire to write a poem.
    I have no internet links.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's a natural state of being. Like a nuclear reaction in a star. Given mass, right components and other factors it ignites, but it had no plan to do it.

As to the war theme, I do not agree that humans can not live and progress without wars, but it requires greater thought and no "I have a bigger penis than yours" sindrome.

p.s. for musical videos please turn to mtv

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

whats with the attitude dude?
    what are you so pissed off at--a description of yin/yang...???

15. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

nazis arent big fans of equallity.

16. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

What is war good for? War has created and maintained our freedom.

17. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

freedom from what?

18. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Answering the original question... what is war good for?

One reason war is "good", or at least comprehendable...

War satisifies the human instinct for territorialism. Humans are naturally competitive and aggressive. Analogy: Ever own a housecat? Take a housecat outside that has never seen a bird, squirrel, or other living prey, and that cat will do what it evolved to do - kill and devour. Do we really think that a few millenia of civilization has somehow erased our innate desire to acquire territory, to protect the tribe/family?

The real wild card for modern human-war is technology. Destructive technologies like WMD give us the capacity for large-scale (self) destruction, which one could argue has made the modern process of waging war unnatural. Or, you could argue that it is simply another aspect of natural selection, the flawed characteristic being the big-brain which birthed something as ridiculous as a WMD in the first place.

Either way, the point is that the answer to the question "what is war good for" was much different 2000 years ago than it is today - because the outcome of war is potentially VERY different today than it was then. But the underlying instincts haven't changed.