War: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by halo07guy, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hey, I'm a literal thinker

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nah I apologize, I didn't read the whole thing. Just the first few sentences and the 'end conclusion'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

It's like this enmos
    Justin Timberlake = Just Intimberlake

only with the other guys name.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

never heard of the guy..who is he?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The lead singer of the Punk band "Anti-Flag".
    It's a song from his solo album.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

war is unavoidable

of course it is something we would prefer to avoid, but there are many things in this world that disregard our preferences

the best use of a bad bargain was to have guidelines for war - for instance in historical times it was considered bad ettiquette to kill an unarmed opponent (there are recorded histories of cavalry refusing to charge until the artillery had reloaded, or waiting for an opponent to pick up a sword they have dropped)

unfortunately technological advancement has made whole sale slaughter capable for even the most untrained of fighters (in the wild west the 6 shooter was called the "equalizer" - the argument being that any schmo who picks up a gun suddenly becomes a force to be reckoned with ... also feudal japan tried for years to keep gun powder out of the country since one could learn in ten seconds how to kill a samurai with 20 years training behind him) - anyway there are very good reasons why contemporary armies in the world recruit women and children (with the latest light weight weapons of "point and press" they can lay down fire power just as well as any one else)

Where will this eventually lead?

To some all out cataclysmic war that will set us back to some lower level of technological know how

"I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones." - einstein

9. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

all right...should check that out...thanks 4 the info!

War is waiting for the bullet that carries your name...

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Of course it's relative and moreso, mixed to some degree within most perspectives involved.

More importantly, it's part of a cycle that as far as I can see probably can't be stopped by any realistic means. It's about divergent value, which given the nature of perspective will always occur. It can certainly decline, and subside for periods of time in particular places... but really has there ever been a day when there wasn't "war" of some kind happening on this planet?

Sometimes war is necessary, so as such it is "good" in that context - as it provides a means to what is percieved as a required end by those who direct it. It's bad for those who suffer from it. It's good for those who benefit from it, blah blah blah.

It's an interesting, terrifying, awe-inspiring, disturbing aspect of human interaction on a group level.

""I don't know what will be used in the next world war, but the 4th will be fought with stones." - einstein"

- in economics, called "correction", no?

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

interesting that the prime mover of war machines is the pursuit of economic advancement - yet at a certain point it pulls the plug in the economy (winning WW2 was what caused Britain to lose her empire)

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

yeah but uh... hitler was pushing for economic advancement, not britain, so it'd stand to reason....

and further, it "mixes up" resources, etc. america came out of that one pretty well I think - economically anyway.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I haven't read every post in this thread, but it seems to me that most who've posted have agreed that war is good. Am I right in that, or has someone counted up the pros and cons of the post differently?

And if I am right, it's a very curious thing ...because as I see it, almost everyone here is a liberal doo-gooder and that's not the way they think. So, ....what's going on?

Baron Max

14. Lepore64 Registered Member

I just wonder where dragon went. "War is mostly good" is most definitely the most unintelligent thing I've ever heard. I'd like to send him off to war so he can test that theory for us.