Want loyal Friend? Buy a dog.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Harry Truman said that about having a friend in Washington DC.

I was reminded of it recently when I read about a dog lying near a place where his owner was killed by a truck driver.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I have had dogs all my life and totally agree they are man's best friend.
    My parents bred miniature smooth haired Dachsunds.
    I have had a Labrador, a German Shepherd, two Rottweilers and now the two miniature smooth haired Dachsunds, the breed my parents introduced me to.
    My personal favourite? The Rottweiler.
    My second Rotty lived to the ripe old age of 13.5 years and was the most faithfull, Intelligent, fearless yet gently mate I have ever had.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Long ago, my male dog Doobie(1/2 dalmatian) used to eat the crotch out of my 1st wife's panties. When she complained, I told her that he had exceptionally good tastes.
    Aside from my time in the army, I doubt that i've been without a dog for more than a couple months.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

I'm a cat person myself

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I have an old dog. He doesn't do a whole lot, and he's growing lumps on his belly. He's a good dog, but his days are numbered. Not sure I will get another after he passes away. Dogs are needy, cats are independent. I will probably stick with cats in the future.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Japan's most famous dog waited nine years for his owner

(This famous true story is on Wikipedia and several other sources. I like this rendition because it was obviously written by a non-native English speaker--surely a Japanese writer--for Japanese people who are studying English.)

In front of the enormous Shibuya train station in Tokyo, there is a life-size bronze statue of a dog. Even though the statue is very small when compared to the huge neon signs flashing, it isn't difficult to find. It has been used as a meeting point since 1934 and today you will find hundreds of people waiting there for their friends to arrive--just look for the crowds.

Hachiko, an Akita dog, was born in 1923 and brought to Tokyo in 1924. His owner, Professor Eisaburo Uyeno, and he were inseparable friends right from the start. Each day Hachiko would accompany his owner, a professor at the Imperial University, to Shibuya train station when he left for work. When he came back, the professor would always find the dog patiently waiting for him.

Sadly, the professor died suddenly at work in 1925 before he could return home.

Although Hachiko was still a young dog, the bond between him and his owner was very strong and he continued to wait at the station every day. Sometimes, he would stay there for days at a time, though some believe that he kept returning because of the food he was given by street vendors. He became a familiar sight to commuters over time. In 1934, a statue of him was put outside the station.

In 1935, Hachiko died at the place where he last saw his friend alive.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

There was also a movie made about that simply called "Hachi"starring Richard Geer as the Professor! A real tear jerker! Good movie also

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I don't think I could ever buy a dog. I just don't like the taste.