VOTE: Nomal Overeating VS Bulimia?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by lixluke, Jul 20, 2009.

?

Which is better?

1. Is it better to overeat, and get fat?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Is it better to overeat, and throw up once in awhile (not necessarily all the time)?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Otter.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I was talking to this bulimic girl who wants to stop being bulimic. She seems to be under this idea that bulimia is a normal part of everyday life. I told her that bulimia wasn't that normal. That people who normally overeat, don't intentionally throw it up. To which she responds that bulimia is better than normal overeating because non-bulimic overeaters get fat. And bulimics don't. This attitude is definitely not working in her favor if she wants to stop. (By the way, she isn't really a purging type. She tends to just feel nauseous, and throw up. She said she's been like that since she was little.

It seems there might be some reasoning to it. Obviously overeating, and getting fat leads to health problems. While it is bad that you chuck what you eat, is it worse than eating and getting fat?

So while I would never intentionally throw up because it's gross, it brings up the question:
    Is it better to overeat, and get fat?
    OR
    Is it better to overeat, and throw up once in awhile (not necessarily all the time)?
    If so, why?

PLEASE DELETE THE OTHER THREAD: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=94766
    (The poll didn't go through.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Bulima is a psychological disorder. People who have it compulsively over eat and then compulsively throw it up. If you over eat all of the time, I say it's better to get fat and loose the weight by exercise and change in eating habits than to develop a psychological disorder and have your friends and family check you into rehab (not to mention the bad breath, rotting teeth, and ulcers. You'd have to have a problem to actually want those)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What about the ones who aren't necessarily compulsive about it. Folks who just purge themselves once in awhile? Isn't that bulimia? Does it necessarily have to be a compulsion?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TaleofGenji Registered Senior Member

Otter? Other? What am I missing?

8. John99 Banned Banned

i think it is horrible, but there are worse things a person can do.

it isnt normal but i would not clissify it as serious psychological disorder. if it even is a psych. disorder, it is mild one. bulimics throw up because they do not want to get fat, this is reasonable conclusion.

the thing here is to know your own body and what it requires. the fact of the matter is that some people like to eat more than others. these people usually get fat. an addiction? i would say yes. but eating is a requirement to living so here we have an addiction that is different from most others. it is a tough call.

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I would say overeating is a very common compulsion. It probably afflicts most everybody in one way or another considering what is put into foods. And some people far more than others. And it definitely isn't as socially scrutinized as something such as bulimia.

Many compulsive eaters are completely oblivious to it. Most of my friends are way overweight. But they don't see it as a psychological disorder/compulsion. They see it as part of aging. When you're young, you're thin. As you get older, you fatten up. Not a compulsion, but completely natural. Sorry, but dead wrong.

And I definitely don't mean to undermine the severity of bulimia. Sure allowing your body to absorb boatloads of food is unhealthy. But intentionally barfing up boatloads of food as a way of protecting your body from absorbing the garbage? Just seems worse than simply absorbing it. But then again, who knows?

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I voted 'Otter'. I like otters, they're quite cute. My favourite mustelids are still the wolverines, though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(It's ok, I'm just playfully taunting Lixluke about his spelling, I know he meant to type Other.)

I think it's way better to get fat and to lose the weight by healthy methods. Puking constantly will melt your tooth enamel, and worse.

11. John99 Banned Banned

due to esophageal damageit can certaily be worse.

i think you are wrong about aging. your body changes so if you are thin when you are young and you consume the same way when you are older you will show it much more. you wil not go from thin to obese, if there is not some other medical condition, but i think you define obese as people who's bodies have changed.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I never said that the body doesn't change as you age. It doesn't matter how old you are. If you eat properly, you don't become overweight in relation to your height. Some people might be a few pounds overweight. Perhaps they don't compulsively overeat. But if anybody is overweight, it's likely that there is an overeating compulsion involved. There have been times when I myself have compulsively overeaten. The difference is that I'm aware of when I'm doing it. Of course, body fat ratios are important. So while it is important to stay within the proper weight/body fat ratio range, it's also important not to downplay the severity of compulsive overeating in the same way this girl downplays bulimia. A normal part of life, and not an abnormality/disfunction.

The body does go through changes while aging, but such changes are not justification for compulsive overeating.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

So you really agree with the first choice, but voted otter? Great.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Other: Don't overeat so you don't have to throw up either.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You don't think one is better than the other?

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

This suggests it's not bulimia, but some kind of gastrointestinal problem. Bulimia is when you deliberately throw up to stay thin.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You mean regarding the first two options ?
    Hmm perhaps, but why would I pick between to bad options when there is an "Other" option ?

18. John99 Banned Banned

in some instances it is a matter of preference, as to being overweight. the thing is that some have more of a reward\chemical reaction derived from food. others get this in another way and food is not their thing. nevertheless, it is often difficult to control.

course of action?

one would argue that an obvious one would be exercise. i agree with that.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What about OA? 12 steps to compulsive eating recovery. Profess powerlessness over food, give power to Jesus to restore sanity.

Ya. I don't know what her deal is. She said she feels this urge to puke it up. It's gross.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009