Vitamin D Deficiency

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by justwonderingjoe, Apr 7, 2009.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And those who have MS are probably kept indoors a lot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Most people with MS are still mobile. That is, getting around by themselves.

Not quite at the "kept" stage. Also, they just tend to absorb D less well than myelin-normal folks like you and me. Kthnxbye.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats UVA, or the tanning rays [the ones which are also a risk factor for melanoma]. UVB rays are partially obstructed by the ozone layer and partially absorbed by clouds.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but it can't be far off. How else did humanity survive before vitamin supplements ?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It didn't. Why do you think chronic diseases are a problem now?

We're living long enough to get them.

9. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

This sounds exactly like my situation. I've started the Rx yesterday - Ergocalciferol 50,000 units 1 per week for 2 months.

I am hoping to get the same results you got. Right now I am sore after gardening, but not after walking (why?). I'm easily tired, and some days almost not able to get up for work. I thought I was going crazy!

I have luckily not gotten any viruses, but did have a case of vertigo in Jan. :shrug:

As a side note, I took the test because the MD I work for has been testing some his patients for low levels of vitamin D. He's a cardiologist who specializes in the treatment of elevated cholesterol. He sometimes prescribes statins to his patients. He decided to test his patients that had a history of extreme muscle aches with statin use. He said it has been found that there maybe a correlation between extreme muscle aches, statins use and low Vit D levels.

So, the office staff decided to be tested to. Out of us 3 girls who took the test, 2 were deficient & needed replacement therapy, and one wasn't that low. She decided to take an over the counter maintenance dose.

I also made an appt. with a General MD, just to follow up with everything. I'm really glad I had the lab test.

10. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

"The factors that affect UV radiation exposure and research to date on the amount of sun exposure needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels make it difficult to provide general guidelines. It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2-6% UVB radiation is also effective [11,28]. Individuals with limited sun exposure need to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet or take a supplement."
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Shorty, Here's something that is really informative. I would take a supplement if I were trying for maintenance vs. sun exposure. (not enough time)
    I'm pretty short, and small boned and concerned with osteoporosis, so after I get to optimum levels, I'll add a supplement to my daily routine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I heard the same thing from a doctor at a poster session. He treated his older patients with vitamin D supplements and found that their episodes of muscle soreness were reduced. Also their sarcopenia [muscle loss].

There is some preliminary work that suggests a role for vitamin D in muscle metabolism. Its still in the early stages.

12. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

I know I had huge leg and arm muscle aches periodically. And the other girl had leg cramps at night.

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Remember, vitamin D synthesis is the most likely explanation for why humans lost melanin as they moved to northern latitudes. Since I don't consume as much vitamin D fortified dairy as I used to, I've been buying the D fortified orange juice. But since I've been cycling more (better weather, daylight saving time, longer days), I probably get all I need that way.

14. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

Maybe, but how would you know if you weren't? It's a simple lab test that could be included in a yearly check up. If your getting older, maybe you should get it checked. Vit D def. is linked to a lot of symptoms that affect quality of life. It's just a thought

Though, it sounds like your fit and healthy.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wha?? Why? Are they sun sensitive so they can't go outside?

16. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

People with MS tend to be temperature sensitive.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

cold or heat sensitive?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, their mobility depends on how far the MS has progressed. And if it is advanced enough, then these people depend on others to regularly take them to sunbaths.

19. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Orleander, my ex couldn't really regulate his body temp because of brain/spinal damage, so he was sensitive to both.

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Go look at the sun for 3 hours.

open wide.

peace.

21. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Hah I know I'm down in Calgary

Well they say 15 minutes naked. If that were long enough for the Canadian sun then nobody here would have deficiencies. I mean, who doesn't get at least 15 minutes of sun?

As far as I know, the more skin you have exposed, the more vit D you can make. But then your scalp and eyes have more vitamin D receptors than anywhere else on your body.. so its not all equal.

22. kmguru Staff Member

Look for Vitamin D at this site, a lot of good information.

http://www.mercola.com/

I take 4000 IU oral a day in winter and 2000 IU in summer.

23. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

I thought 1000 IU was plenty:

It's stored in your fat tissue, right?