Vista: Is It Really That Bad?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Vista sucked for me for about the first 20 minutes I ran it, by then I had found most of the settings options to turn off alot of the B.S. and ran msconfig enough times to get what I think were the drm-related programs to not run upon startup. It runs just fine for me now, looks snazzy, runs various engineering-related programs I own (some of which can't run on Mac or Linux, only Windows), and aside from having a wet-behind-the-ears driver pool, it's not unbearable.

But carcano, it'll go and remove programs randomly? I havn't had this happen to me yet, maybe there's a setting for it? I find there's a setting for just about everything in Window's OS if you're willing to go knee-deep in the settings to find it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

oh, disclaimer, my computer's kind of a powerhouse, and it's not unusual for over a gig of ram to be swallowed up when doing something as routine as a small installation, right now I'm only running this internet explorer and hardly any start-up related stuff and it's sitting at about 800mb of ram usage. If you have a powerful computer, this OS isn't bad, can't say the same for econo-machines or anything

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It doesn't remove programs you don't use often, what it does is it tries to keep programs with rootkits off your PC. This was at least the case for the early drive emulator software, which if installed would find itself removed pretty quick. (A mixture of protection against rootkit misuse and of course the whole digital rights lobotomization of a persons compute makeup)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

yes...

it's that bad...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you have to get it be sure to get at least 2 gigs of RAM.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Linux has always used most of the available RAM, but it frees it, when another program requests it.
    There is no use of unused RAM just sitting there and doing nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.