Violence in the USA

Discussion in 'Religion' started by timojin, Jul 10, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Has the violence in the USA increased with increasing secularism ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Perhaps there is no increase, just instrument bias?
    or
    The media thrives on violence and encourages it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Violence in the US has not increased.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

In my half of a century in the USA, I have seen it to increase. In the Chicago area gun shooting have gone up perhaps you don't watch the news, The judicial system have increased time to be incarcerated repeat offender prior to let him go on trial, That is to reduce repeat offender to return on the street , but even so the violence have increased in black neighborhoods.

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

As stated above, the overall crime and violence trend in the U.S. is down but whether it's up or down has nothing to do with secularism. Did you think the older class of criminals were more religious than the current crop of criminals?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No, you haven't.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Strange isn't it that when a white person is shot by the police you rarely see anything on the news about it. But the news wants only to stir the pot to make things chaotic and show only things that will make people upset that get upset very easy. The news doesn't want to wait to find out what exactly happened for it may show something different than they posted. I despise the media as to what it has become and only hope one day it might turn itself around in the way it shows the news. I don't think I'll ever see that in my lifetime but hopefully it will get better after my demise.

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

I remember earlier in the 60 - 70 The first shooting at Texas tower and for a while several years not much have been heard , from 90 up we have all kind killing with a gun in different states , inless you don't live in the States you are not aware,

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Whitman at the U. Texas(go longhorns) clock tower
    14 dead, 32 wounded

13. timojin Valued Senior Member

Thanks, you have a great memory

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We're talking about the actual statistics and not anecdotal evidence based on one's location. There was a period in the 60's and early 70's when all anyone talked about was crime and then the decline began.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

"Days of rage."
    (& rot & ruin)
    "Off the pig"

ebbs and flows of crazy
    are we due for more?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The increase in violence is relatively recent--the past couple of decades. Secularism became a force in our culture in the 1960s, when the Baby Boomers (the generation born after the soldiers came home from WWII) began to grow up and assert their post-war liberal-leaning philosophies, which in addition to secularism also included racial harmony, women's liberation, rock'n'roll, pacifism, more education, gay rights, environmentalism, an emphasis on science, etc.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There has been no increase in violence in the US overall.
    Bullshit.

You find and link a white, middle-aged, calm and respectful man, pulled over for a minor traffic violation and shot four times while sitting in the car with his wife and kid, that didn't make the news. We'll wait.
    That was before cell phone cameras started showing up. It has become much more difficult, in some cases, to simply report the official version coming from the police desk and PR departments.
    Mass gun murder by crazy white men may be up a bit, but not violence in general. Overall, violence in the US has followed the pattern of other places that first allowed and then banned leaded gasoline - about sixteen years after the ban, rates of violence start to drop.

The drug wars - fueled by punitive legislation pushed by Republican governance and the crack cocaine epidemic abetted by Reagan's Iran/Contra operation - have been the major factor in the remaining US gun violence (other than suicide). The US also been dealing with the consequences of the 1980s cutbacks in government paid mental health care and other violence mitigating infrastructure, of course, but that seems to have been a relatively minor factor in gun violence.

Then there's the treatment of black men by police forces, which contributes to the violence far out of proportion to the simple count of bad events, high though that is.

So basically: racism, drug laws (also racist), poor gun control, economic collapse, the familiar litany, all of it exacerbated (if not actually caused) by a surge of fascism and concomitant partial breakdown of government. In a traditionally violent country.

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

Since taking office in 2009, Obama has spoken out forcefully or issued statements following 15 mass shootings, including the 2012 massacre of 20 students and six teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.
    In 2015 alone, there have been 45 shootings at schools, according to Shooting Tracker, a website that compiles numbers of firearm deaths. In 2013, the site claims there was one mass shooting every day in the United States.
    A study by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests 316,000 people died from gun violence in the United States between 2004 and 2013. This data covered all manners of death, including homicide, accident and suicide. By comparison, the government agency says 36 people were killed by domestic acts of terrorism over the same period.

Interesting Statistics with charts up to 2011, http://www.ronunz.org/2013/07/20/race-and-crime-in-america/
    example ,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Your graph there is of racial correlation coefficients The actual crime rates are not visible, and you can't tell whether violent crime is increasing or decreasing (overall or in any given race), from that graph.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Blacks are among the least secular ethnic group in the US. I would wager violence is more correlated to the economy.

21. timojin Valued Senior Member

I posted the graph as an " example " of the lead so that you can see more graphs , but unfortunately you just pickett this graph and jumped to your conclusion.

22. timojin Valued Senior Member

Perhaps what I should have said in respect yo secularity that as time have advanced the young people are less of believer in God then the previous generation and secularity is progressing with time of new baby growing up. And so does the violence . Schools are not teaching the 10 commandments and removing prayers out of the school , so violence among young will increase . As you know violence most common is done by young people , here is an example.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Actually, violence is going down; .2% drop in violent crime last year, and down over 60% over the past 17 years. "Secularity" is working! The more secular we get, the less violent crime we see.