Viewing icon files >> .ico

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Giambattista, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I like to use different icons to spice up folders and make them more pleasing to the eye, as well as more noticeable.

However, .ico files are sometimes difficult to work with. I downloaded a bunch, and the XP OS can't view them in thumbnail version. I got a program that's supposed to be able to view icons, and it wouldn't load them. I don't think even Adobe Photoshop will load them.

I was basically loading the .ico files blindly, and seeing how they looked in the folder customization window.

It seems that there should be an easier way to preview icon files. I mean if they can be displayed normally as folder and file icons, you would think it would be easy for Windows to make thumbnail previews of them.

Does anyone know anything about .ico files, and how to make it easier to work with them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

right click on the file then select properties.
    i have XP home and .ico files will indeed display in thumbnail view.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

This is super easy. Just rename the file extension to .bmp

Example ---- if the file is called "desktopicon.ico", then right click on it, and rename it "destopicon.bmp"

FOOTNOTE: In windows, you need to be able to view "extensions for known file types" for this to work.

click start > my computer > click "tools" at the top > click the tab that says folder options > scroll down the list and find "hide extensions for known file types" ....remove the checkmark, and click OK.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Some of them will display. Others I have won't.

8. John99 Banned Banned

9. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

What exactly is changing them to bitmap supposed to do? It didn't do anything special for me except change their icon to a bitmap file icon.

10. John99 Banned Banned

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

http://www.icofx.ro/ - Award winning icon editor.

Also don't forget that with Vista they actually reduced the supported image types and video types, they didn't increase them. I came back to XP after getting the Eee Box and man XP just was better supporting of things, it's great.

12. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I thought you were trying to open it in photoshop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.