Vent: WTF is Wrong With Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tiassa, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

We're trying to restore a netbook to functionality, but for some reason, the Microsoft operating system on the computer literally refuses to do so.

If I intend to keep this netbook as a functional computer, Microsoft Windows must be destroyed entirely, and the whole computer rebuilt on a Linux build.

In truth, I never expected to see a situation this dire, but now that I have, I'm left wondering why we do not take every employee of Microsoft out into the parking lot to be appropriately shot.

Really, anyone who works for Microsoft at present is contributing to a massive fraud, an assault against the very infrastructure of our society.

They ought to be purged.

If you work for Microsoft, fuck off and die.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

windows 8?

And I agree with you, especially those involved in windows 8 and the debacle which is the xbone

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Problem With Murder As A Solution

I don't know what fucking version. XP, maybe. I hate Microsoft, and haven't used it in years.

However, I have family who need their computers to be functional, especially when traveling internationally. Unfortunately, that is not a possibility with Microsoft.

Even more unfortunate, my mother called out my brother, whose first instinct was to "fix" Windows. (Hint: It can't be done. How many hours later, and the re-install still isn't successful?)

Whatever the fucking version—likely XP, since this computer has been around a while—it doesn't matter. It can't be fixed. Every product for Windows is intended to make the system perform worse. The more you buy in order to clean up your system, the more successful Windows is.

I hereby withdraw my human rights protections from individuals who choose to work for Microsoft—you are officially criminals against humanity.

No, really. We can't shoot enough of you right fucking now to make up for the damage you have inflicted on the world.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

try putting 7 on it if you can. 7 is actually less resource intensive and more stable than most of the previous versions

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

God that's funny!

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

F@ck Seven ... Microsoft Sh!t Is No Substitue for a Functioning System

Actually, had I the time, I would simply rebuild the system with Linux. Unfortunately, I cannot do that before the computer needs to be on a plane to Paraguay, so I will be sending my own mother out with a computer that may or may not work, according to Steve Ballmer's wishes.

Ordinarily, I would say that American paranoia about terrorism is undermined by the fact that Microsoft has never been blown to hell, but the reality is that Al Qaeda has a stake in leaving Microsoft to conquer the world.

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Windows 8 seems to be designed for touch, because I cannot stand it on my laptop.

@ OP,

Some Netbooks have a reset button on the bottom. Netbooks are often very weak with little memory so it is possible you had a condensed version of 7 in there.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Problem Is That Some People Just Need to Die

No, the problem is that some people believe MS Windows is actually a good operating system if you just tweak it so it works right.

Which would be great, except that one cannot tweak it so it works right.

MS Windows is an operating system designed to compel consumers to spend money. As with insurance companies and health care, Microsoft's primary mission is not delivery of service, but collection of revenue.

This is the heart of capitalism. It is the heart of America.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

No, Really, We Can't Murder Enough Microsoft People To Make Up For It All

Just a brief update.

So my brother finished the re-install on the netbook. It makes no difference whatsoever. To wit, when the mouse cursor gets to the top of the screen, it automatically, by default, drops a menu for the webcam. So I clicked the settings icon—at least, I think that's what the wrench means, though I can't be certain—and after a minute of the hard drive light flashing, the menu still hadn't come up.

This is my Windows experience, and if it is different from previous Windows experiences, it is simply because those previous experiences didn't go quite as badly. You know, forty-five seconds compared to a minute; thirty seconds compared to forty-five.

The bummer is that I'm due to re-up my mobile contract and get a new phone in a couple months. I have no idea what to do, since I no longer have any real appreciation for an iPhone, and I'm not about to fall into the Windows or Google trap. Indeed, I would get an Android and rebuild it as a Linux phone, but I am uncertain whether my contract will allow that.

Those who celebrate the competition of the free market should take note. It doesn't really matter how free the market is if your choices are poop, excrement, and shit.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

This maybe teaching you to suck eggs but try looking for a button which says something like "Fn Lock", I couldn't work out why my computer was doing wierd things and it turns out that was locked so all the buttons became function keys rather than there original function

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I Appreciate Your Thought, But the Problem Really Is Microsoft

On this occasion, no, it has nothing to do with function lock.

It is, quite simply, that so many Windows-based programs are designed to load extra material in inefficiently-designed files that the computer is simply incapable of allocating the necessary resources to make any given application run. In other words, the operating system is hamstrung unless you buy enough commercial products to fix it.

No, seriously, the damnedest thing.

When we bought it, it worked. When we got to England, it worked. When we got home, it worked. But it's slowed down over time, and there is no fixing it. Bottom line: No Microsoft product can be reasonably expected to work a year after it is released.

And that's the lesson computer users need to learn.

(Sadly, I'm hearing similar things from my friends and neighbors who were so unfortunately stupid as to buy an XBox.)

(The larger trend is that the entire market is constantly lowering expectations; the free market may be "good for competition", or whatever the fuck lie those morons might try to push, but the reality is that it doesn't really matter how free the market is if your choices are poop, excrement, and shit, and they're not going to change their ways unless they're forced. And, unfortunately, by forced they mean lined up against the brick wall with a dozen rifles pointing at them. Ordinarily, I would say that things should never go so far, but since they insist, there's not a whole lot to say to the other, you know?)

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Yes I have noticed that, especially amongst xbox users. My PS3 works perfectly every time I want to play it but I am actually afraid to turn on the xbox in case this is the time it breaks down for good

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Fake Plastic Dualshock

My only complaint about the PS3 is that the Sony Dualshock controller I bought to replace the time and gameworn original Sony Dualshock controller that came with my PS3 lasted all of a few weeks. No, really, the one that came with the box ... now, what, two years ago? ... is in better shape than the one I bought to replace it. You can actually feel the difference when you hold the things in your hands. The original is made of durable materials. The later versions are disposable.

Of course, that's normal American business. Microsoft? Apple? The, "We'll brick you if you don't give us more money" people?

Fuck 'em.

(I always hold out hope that Apple will return to "The MacIntosh Way". Microsoft has no such heritage to return to, and has been antipathetic toward such ideas from the outset. Remember, Microsoft is built on a con.)

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Interesting exchange. I bought a Mac when I retired and was amazed to find at last a computer that could be set up and operated with no more fuss than a washing machine. In fact what all home computers should have been like for years by now.

With Microsoft it's like having a washing machine that you have to take the back off and learn how to wire an asynchronous motor before installing. And for some reason, we've all put up with having to be electricians. No domestic appliance manufacturer would last 5 minutes with such products.

But now Apple, regrettably, seems to have been seduced by its music applications. SODDING iTunes! No, I do not want to buy shite music tracks from Apple all the time, thanks very much. I just want to play my own music collection on a variety of media. Can iTunes help me do this, intuitively, with minimum fuss? Emphatically not.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Notebooks are incredibly awkward to fix, especially if they have no DVD drive (You end up reliant upon using an external drive to reload etc) The other major problem is that the OS's are cut down from the standard and they are installed usually OEM, which means even if you have the drive you wouldn't be able to reinstall.

I doubt it would matter what OS was installed on it, some notebooks just seem prone to hardware related failures possibly due to poor QA at the cheap production lines they were built on.

you wouldn't really need to install linux onto the notebook, the simplest method would be to have had a linux live distro on a USB stick and just booted from it.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

the REAL problem is that microsoft literally has no competition.
    sure, other OS's are available BUT only from the 'net and that means you MUST use MS to get them.
    if these other OS's were readily available MS would probably be in dire straights.

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This thread should also be placed in the "Conspiracies" sub-forum, here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(I feel your pain, Tiassa!)

I've had nothing but problems with Windows 7 and before that, Vista.
    :/

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's not they don't have competition, it's just that their OS is quicker to install for OEM than any Linux currently. The main reason for this is the difference between compiled Binary and compile at runtime. Linux installs for the most part are compile at runtime, which is why they can take an age to install, although there are the live distro's that can use compiled Binary.

If the linux systems were compiled into binary and built for OEM installations then you'd have a choice of operating systems from PC manufacturers, however since everyone seems to be concentrating on Tablets, Smartdevices and to a lesser extent laptops, it's quite possible that PC's will be seen as a niche audience. (There's also the factor that the techies amongst us can easily get a PC with no OS and send off for a Linux distro disc if we didn't have internet access.)

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not for much longer, the newer Bios's are being built to ONLY support windows and blocking out Linux

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/microsoft-tries-to-block-linux-off-windows-8-pcs/9572
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/5850.html

23. madethesame Banned Banned

dont worry hackers will find their ways.