Vegetarian's guide to talking to carnivores

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by James R, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

aparently not

(hey thats cool, it added the link itself when i copied it)

Safron is the most expensive cooking item on the planet, it is more expensive kg for kg than gold is.

I cant comment on the flavor of mexican saffron but artifical saffron is flavorless (just food colouring basically) and tumric (which is the other subsitute) doesnt work anywhere near as well.

Out of intrest the most expensive vegitible is the black truffle

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm.. You seem to think that I should have a problem with that. I don't. I meant it when I said "You should."

No, I am asking you why you think you hold humans to be above everything else? I'm interested.

Seriously... :facepalm:
    I wonder how you are going to defend that an ant isn't a living being.
    You remind me of John99 here.

Well, if you cannot even come up with one argument for why a chicken is of lesser value than a human perhaps you should reconsider your stance.
    "It's a chicken" is no argument at all.
    I could make the reverse point and say that humans are of lesser value than chickens and all I'd have to do to support that, according to you, is say "Well, it's a human."

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't.

It seems you're reading things into what I said that aren't there.

Perhaps you should try to get over it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You don't want to take the life of another innocent living being just because you're squeamish, do you?

I don't either, but if you happen to see a bug on the pavement you should, imo, avoid stepping on it (of course without endangering yourself).
    Why would you not do that? The alternative would be to step on it on purpose.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

Animals kill other animals, it is a food chain. We are also animals, so why try to be "special" in the food chain? In a food chain, eating other animals isn't only to survive, but also to keep other animals from over populating which in turn maintain the balance of the food chain and the ecosystem. It's just so happen that because of our advance survival ability, we are on the top of the food chain. We could survive better against many many predators compared to our ancestor. The problem is that, we survive too well that we become over populated. However, we solve this problem by influencing the food chain in a way that we can provide our own foods by growing them. Animal farming, vegetables farming, etc. I think as long as we don't torture animals (grow them properly, kill them quick and painlessly), we don't have to feel guilty by eating other animals. If all other animals think like us (feel guilty), we are all going to starve and extinct.

If you see from ethical point of view, in which in the OP (reason #3) eating animals is not moral (killing animals = murder?), so is eating vegetables. Vegetables are living organisms too. They grow, they supply us oxygen, they're sensitive to light, to touch, etc. If eating animals is equal to taking away other life immorally, so is eating vegetables.

Our body is "designed" as omnivore. Just look at our teeth and our digestion system. We have, I don't know, pancreas?, which produces a lot of enzymes to digest a wide range of foods (meat, veg), etc.

Also, for us human, eating meat is also a part of a lot of cultures. Many cultures prepare meat in different ways. This is a part of our identity. Just like we wear clothes, apply lipstick, or decorate our house. It doesn't always make sense, but we human have the need to feel comfortable, and eating meat is a part of them. Some people prefer to be a vegetarian, I consider that as a part of different culture, and it's perfectly acceptable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Can I presume all the veggies are against keeping carnivorous pets due to the meat required? Or indeed any pets due to the unnecessary extra production of food and its environmental impact? :shrug:

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Interesting point, although as an omnivore (not a bloody carnivore; come on, you lot) I'm also against keeping pets due to the unnecessary extra production of food and its environmental and economic impact. This is why I eat all my pets.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Working in retail grocery, I am amazed at the amount of retail space devoted to our animal companions.

In our store alone, we have one side of a 56 foot aisle devoted solely to dog and cat needs. At our larger store, both sides of a 64 foot aisle are pet food.

There is a large business catering only to household pets, another strictly for fish, birds and small mammals, and another business that caters to horses, cattle and farm livestock.

All this in a town of 34,000 people.

Rather demonstrates how important pets are to people.

Fine to criticize human omnivores, lol. Go after the pet people, and I predict you will be drawn and quartered.

10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Raising pets as a food source can hardly be cost efficient.

May I suggest poaching other people's strays, or possibly roadkill?

11. Bells Staff Member

Because we are the same species?

Then again, I consider some humans to be beneath earthworms..

If it was a living being, I would grieve somewhat each time I accidently stepped on one or saw one killed.

It is an ant. It is alive.

But I do not classify it as a "being".

"It's a chicken" is the argument Enmos.

That is why it is of lesser value than a human.

It is a chicken!

Nor would I listen to you if you did.

I am actually deathly afraid of spiders. Hence why I tend to not go near them. If there is no one there to get rid of it, then yes, I wage chemical warfare and/or use whatever is at hand to get rid of it.. If it is in the house, and it escapes, I will literally not sleep until it is either dead or removed. I went for 3 days without sleeping after a massive huntsman spider bolted for our walk in robe. I also did not go into said robe and had to get my husband to shake out my clothes before he found it in his shoe... and took it outside. One does not just 'get over' that kind of phobia.

I do not consider a spider a "being". I consider it alive, but not a "being". Just as I consider a tree to be alive and not a "being".

No. The alternative would be to walk and come what may..

If I notice one, I step around usually. But I generally don't walk with my head down. I like to look around me when I walk.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yes one does poach strays, but when one's home is surrounded by angry, rioting villagers, one falls back on what one can.

Incidentally there seems to be some kind of similar rule regarding other people's daughters. Local ethics is so incomprehensible sometimes.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why do you consider that an argument?

You don't get to redefine words to suit your own purposes.

Bells, that is not even close to being an argument. Are you trolling?
    Humans are scum. Why? Because they are humans. Good argument huh?

You can get treatment to get rid of serious phobias.
    Don't you want to be rid of your phobia?

Just out of curiosity, what is your personal definition of 'being'?
    The fact that you don't consider small animals to be living beings is your problem, because they are. Don't redefine words to suit your own purposes.

Please, do read what I wrote.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Bells:

Are only humans "beings", then, in your opinion?

What is everything else? A kind of robot, in effect? Or just beneath your consideration?

Pure speciesism, in other words.

Just like racism: black people have lesser value than white people because they are black!

It's an identical "argument".

15. Gustav Banned Banned

that is disgustingly disingenuous
    a prejudice towards malaria vectors necessarily implies i am a bigot?

we are all pragmatists in relation to our dietary needs and concerns
    only trolls adopt moral absolutism as the basis for argumentation in this context

are you some kind of jain, james?

16. Bells Staff Member

Why do you consider it not an argument?

Just as you don't get to demand that I apply some weird arse standard that chickens are somehow beings with equal rights to human beings..

Humans are scum because we are humans. I have not stated that was never the case.

Also, I am responding to you as you deserve. Trolling? What? Looking to ban?

You are demanding I apply the same rights to chickens and you are asking me if I am trolling?

I have other treatment that takes precedence at present Enmos.

I consider dogs and cats to be "beings". Just not chickens. I also don't consider grasshoppers to be "beings".

I can use words to suit my view of things. You have no right to demand that I grant chickens the same rights as human beings.

Not at all. After all, I consider you to be a "being".

You're comparing black people to chickens?

17. Gustav Banned Banned

it certainly seem like it

/aghast

18. superstring01 Moderator

To be fair, he's making an analogy, not comparing blacks to chickens. It's more about pointing out a flaw in a formula if amplified to include other, greater examples.

That said, I think he's wrong. I like yummy animals, especially moo-cows, porky-pigs and chickens. When I see one in the field as I drive by, sometimes I want to stop and eat one.

~String

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

They're bonkers to begin with, so why should we expect sanity?

I would also remind that you're dealing with a faction of people that compare omnivores to child rapists and Nazis. My green-hatted alter-ego has received multiple complaints about this thread, but has seen no reason to stir to action. Personally, if I must choose between the two, I say let these vegetyrants have their say. It only reminds the rest of us what such dietary choices do to one's mind.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im still waiting for james to explain what he belives should happen to the bodies of pest species such as goats, camels, rabbits and kangroos in Australia, American crays and rabbits in the UK and lots of other species.

chimpkin has said that there should be "a rabbit in every pot" in Australia, so what about you james? should we be leaving pests where they are killed to rot and wasting water, land and energy producing vegitibles to feed the people who could be eatting the pests (and therefore us acting like the preditors we are MENT to be). Do you sit down to a plate of enviromentally friendly wild pork, wild goat, kangroo, camel or do you eat vegitibles which destroy the enviroment wasting water, energy, land and destroying our water ways.

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

How about a possum in every pot in NZ?

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i actually didnt like possum when i tried it, admitedly it was smoked so it might have been more tasty "untreated"

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

BTW trippy, i was watching a show on NZ customs where they were going on and on about redback spiders. Seriously you guys over react, no one has ever died in SA because of a redback bite, first aid procidures dont even include hospital treatment unless the pt is allergic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.