Vegetarianism Based On Animal Rights

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Thoreau, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

where did I get the idea that I have rights that animals don't have? Did I say that? :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So you don't ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

where did I say it? You said I did, back it up. Where did I say it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are having your kid commit mass murder in the backyard.
    Equal rights.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

:bugeye: you eat animals
    equal rights you freakin hypocrite

and its odd how you get from my kid killing bugs to me saying your whole rights rant.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, I am. And so are you.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So what is the difference then ?
    The difference is that you think you have more rights than animals have.
    Or don't you think that ?

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I fully agree with you there.

Humans seem to have this sense of "entitlement" which they do not seem inclined to reciprocate. I strongly object to the notion that I "own" my dog; yet I will say that "Daisy is my dog", but the fact is, to Daisy: I am her person. We respect one-another and accord each other rights and privileges.

When a coyote attacks a human child, it is most likely a result of the human doing something stupid or disrespectful (infringing upon his territory--which he doesn't own, but, well, you know); regardless, it is not necessarily inappropriate to retaliate, but it ought to be done in such a fashion as to simply make it so such an attack is unlikely to happen again. In some instances, it might be advisable to kill the bear, but in so doing one ought be mindful of the circumstances which provoked the attack: Was the person doing something idiotic or disrespectful? (Probably.) Did the attack come about as a result of humans being greedy and creating their ever-expanding developments and housing projects (for instance) further and further into the wild; which in turn creates an unstable and untenable environment for the coyotes and other creatures, so that they must diversify their usual diet out of scarcity and necessity? (Again, probably.) Unfortunately, humans are remarkably myopic and irrational creatures, and act out of their own self-interest and greed, fail to consider the long-term consequences of their actions.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

no I'm not.
    If a deer came to my habitat and killed me and ate me...well fair is fair.
    If the Japanese beetles of the world united, picked up my daughter and put her in a jar of turpentine...well, again, fair is fair.

I'm not gonna feel bad about using the survival skills I have. All animals do.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think I have more rights. I think I have better skills. Skills that took millennia for my ancestors to acquire.
    Do you think the sabre tooth tiger felt bad for eating early man?

14. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Somehow, I don't see that happening.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

no, but it's their right to do so.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I deny that chickens are sapient, have a sense of self, are aware of their own motality, have culture or personality, have imagination, can think and reason, etc

Which they don't.

Only few animals can qualify as "persons"........dolphins, perhaps dogs and cats, and other primates. Maybe a few others.

Meat is the best source of protein, however. Soy bean is gross, and the protein isn't as good quality as, say, egg white protein for digestion.
    No, you still misunderstand: the consciousness and intellect of livestock are no where near that of humans; thus, they lack many of the traits which give humans value.

I am not morally bankrupt, I simply do not happen to think killing mindless chickens to be wrong.

I disagree. Vegetarians, especially vegans, tend to be slimmer........but they also tend to have less muscle mass and have more difficulty getting proper nutrition.

Have you ever seen a vegan body builder?

This is because you don't like what he proposed.

I would disagree with you here.........it was consistent and defensible; as for "reasonable", what the hell does that mean?
    If you put it that way.

Put it this way: the man believed that sacrifices were necessary and justified in order to create a more perfect German society, and that efficiency was necessary to do this, even if it is ruthless.

The problem is that you value 'humanitarianism' too much and automatically assume all killing is 'bad'.

What was your question? I've been answering every one of your points.

You, however, haven't answered my paper point.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Haha, sure you would think "fair is fair"..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, they don't have that right. They'd be hunted down and killed on the spot.
    Deer do not have any rights.

Now if a human would go to a deers habitat and kiled and ate it, you wouldn't see anyone (let alone deer) hunt you down and kill you.

Where's the equality in that ?

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are you calling me a liar?

20. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Jeez...there are 30+ posts of you two going back and forth while still managing to say nothing. Agree to disagree and move on.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Norsefire:

You are making an awful lot of outlandish claims which run wholly contrary to the findings of ethology, behavioral ecology, and animal cognition studies.

I don't have time to get into it right now, as I need to go out and do some crap, but look up Donald Griffin, Marc Bekoff, Jane Goodall, Konrad Lorenz, the "mirror test" (which is intrinsically flawed by virtue of it's sole reliance upon the sense of sight, but is still valuable nonetheless), etc.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You got it.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Norsefire:

Finally we are getting to the nitty gritty. I see that you now accept my point that these things are relevant to the decision as to whether to eat the animal or not. That is progress.

The next thing you need to do is to actually try to find out for yourself whether your claims about the sense of self, awareness, thinking abilities of animals such as chickens are actually true or not, rather than just assuming whatever you find is convenient. As it happens, you're completely off base again in your assumptions.

Do you agree, then, that it is morally wrong to eat a dolphin or a dog?

Your personal tastes are irrelevant to the moral argument.

Maybe you can back up these claims, too, but I doubt it.

The question is not whether they are at the same level as humans, or whether they have all the capacities of humans. I contend that it is not necessary that something be the same as a human being in all respects in order to be entitled to equal consideration. A minimal level of consciousness, sentience and the like ought to be enough for us to respect their basic rights as persons.

Chickens are not mindless, however convenient it is for you to think so. Once again, I assume you have had no close contact with chickens except on your dinner plate, or you wouldn't make such silly claims.

I know plenty of vegetarians and vegans who are perfectly healthy and happy. In fact, I don't personally know any who have diet-related health problems.

Read my statement again. I did not in any way refer to what I like or do not like. Objectively, Hitler's morality was not consistent, defensible or reasonable.

reasonable: showing reason or sound judgement.

You think I ought to be more like Hitler and value Humanitarianism as much as he did, do you? Is that what you do?