Vegetarianism Based On Animal Rights

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Thoreau, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

What is your opinion on people becoming vegetarian/vegan because they take an active against animal cruelty? Is it ignorant in your opinion or logical?

I've considered it myself, but haven't made a commitment yet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

illogical.
    some animals exist to be eaten.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

What authoritarian figure directed this?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

chairman mr.nature

8. Dub_ Strange loop Registered Senior Member

It wouldn't make much sense for one to become veg*n with the explicit purpose of preventing animal cruelty. Clearly animal cruelty is going to exist no matter how large of a minority chooses to partake in eating animal products. But that's not why most ethically-motivated veg*ns became so. Most don't hold any delusions that their veg*nism is going to change anything, they simply don't want to involve themselves in a system which they believe to be unethical. I don't subscribe to either of these views personally (in fact I'm not a veg*n at all), but I do think that one would be hard pressed to explain why this latter stance is "illogical."

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It makes sense. Factory farming isn't very kind to animals. It's possible to raise animals for food in a humane way, and maybe if enough people became vegan for this reason, factory farming practices might change. At one point, eating organic food was considered a fringe movement too.

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

it's the reason i gave up meat.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I started bein a vegetarian because i liked not eatin animals beter than i liked eatin 'em.!!!

I suspect it woud be awful to be a vegitarian if you didnt realy want to... for you'r own well-bein i sugest you keep eatin animals.!!!

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm a vegan (sometimes pescitarian) and some of that is in regards to the cruelty, and some in regards to health considerations. the quality of life of animals who are raised for consumption is typically horrendous and cruel and the shit we feed them and pump into them to raise the profit margin, when most of the food goes to waste anyway is fucking scary. all the synthetic hormones and pharmaceuticals we put in our food are toxic and completely unnatural. i eat organic food too because we drench our veggies and grains in chemical fertilizers and pesticides. i used to work at an applebees and in the course of a normal shift, i threw away more food than fed to people. it all centers around greed, and most of all, i'm a vegan to protest the harmful effects of greed. i really shouldn't eat fish and seafood either, as our fishing practices are just about as horrid. we're raping the planet, we're all sick and obese, and our food is polluted and void of any natural nutritional value. i'm just trying to do something responsible really. and i do feel better...healthy.

if you want some diet tips, hit me up. i've done a lot of research. it's pretty strict at first, but you'll begin to actually crave the food you get used to. it can be a dangerous diet though if you try living off of candy and french fries.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Why just some?

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's a flawed position. It must be understood that you are killing something by simply eating; there is no way to escape this.

Further, they assume that it's wrong to eat meat. Survival of the fittest; it's neither good nor bad, it simply is. I must eat.

And lastly, do wolves apologize? Why should we?

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

*sigh*

Here we go again.

It's logical. If you believe that eating animals is morally wrong, then it is logical that you won't do it yourself. Otherwise, you're a hypocrite, or at least very weak-willed.

Mindless nonsense.

Killing a (non-human) animal is morally different from killing a plant, just as killing a human being is different from killing a plant. It's surprising how somebody can be so wilfully blind as not to appreciate this.

You don't have to eat meat.

Because humans suppose themselves to be moral animals.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, but as the animals we commonly eat lack any sort of sapience or self awareness, I do not feel sorry for eating them.

But I want to.

Eating meat isn't immoral.

Killing is not immoral.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

nope. perferctly logical. You don't like what someone is doing, so you don't involve yourself in it, or associate with it. Never mind changing the world, It's common sense.

Of course, the question of whether or not you like it, is entirely up to you.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I agree that being more humane could be a step in the right direction, but there's a difference between being against animal cruelty, and downright refusing to eat meat.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This is spoken like you've never spent any time with cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. Speaking from a position of complete ignorance as you are, don't you owe it to yourself to investigate the matter before making pronouncements on it? Otherwise, you just end up looking like an idiot, like now.

So mummy's little boy always gets what he wants, does he? Diddums.

Yes it is.

It depends on who or what is killing whom or what.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's up to each of us to choose the way we do anything in our lives. Why we choose to do certain things is what makes us who we are. If we choose to eat only veggies then that's a choice we all have and the reasons can vary from person to person as to why they choose to do so.

21. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

good point, they're all part of the food chain..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but aren't we saying the same thing?

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Mz if you want a good take on this watch the movie called "earthlings". I found it on youtube a couple years ago in parts. Hardest thing I ever forced myself to watch but I did because I'm of the philosophy that turning away from knowledge is evil. And its a lot easier to participate in and contribute to something with hideous consequences when you can turn a blind eye to those consequences.

23. Slysoon Registered Senior Member

Interspecific and intraspecific conflict amongst animals (primarily for resources and competition, and in rare circumstances for fun) is the natural norm, with or without human participation.

Our paleolithic and preagricultural ancestors would never have survived with a meat-independent diet.