Vapaad v. The Weirding Way

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Prince_James, Nov 17, 2005.

1. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

PJ is taking this to seriously? I think it pretty audacious of you to say that he is taking it to seriously when you are going on and on about how you don't think that it is physically possible to disembowel with some sort of kick. All the while this is written in a novel which doesn't even hold true to many fabrics of reality. Lets say that a human Jedi (Such as Mace, Obi, etc) whips out his dick and pee's acid all over someone, are you going to go on and on about how that's physically impossible too?

I know PJ and I don't seem to agree on a lot of things, but I think we can agree that these novels, while having some connection to the human race, are ment more for an entertainment value, not holding true to every single reality in OUR world. It's a book. It's part of the story and people in that book. Enjoy it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

guthrie:

Yes, but the Bene Gesserit are capable of engaging individual foes with their weirding way talents.

You can move every joint on your toe without disturbing the rest of your foot? You have "control of every muscle and nerve in your body"? That is what pranu-bindu training gives the BG. Moreover, yes, Frank Herbert borrows heavily from Western sword/knife fighting, but the speed and overwhelming prowess is nearly preternatural.

Supposing one could get one's foot through the skin of the stomach, then simply pushing it far enough in and pulling back would likely result in the necessary damage to be called a "disembowlment".

It wasn't? I could have sworn it was the stomach, not the rib cage. Either way, Paul kills someone through managing to push his foot into vital areas.

You are right. We can agree on this.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Hey, I already claimed that ground earlier in the thread.

Prince James- not every joint, thats not what I said, not exactly waht you said ether.
    As for the speed and overwhelming prowess, all you really have to go by is the set up situation that the character is recognised as moving really fast. As for the skin of the stomach, you presumably mean abdomen otherwise your comment makes even less sense. And no, that wouldnt make disembowellment. That would just hurt a lot, especially as the stomach acids eat into unprotected skin.

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Guthrie:

Yet this is evidently what the BG can do. Total control.

Yes, I meant abdomen.

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I dont recall every joint being mentioned in the book. Thats the trouble with trying to take something literally that isnt even supposed to be taken that way.

Anyway, at least this thread has made me read Dune and Dune messiah again, and I've remembered how good they are.

10. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Are those the only Dune books that you've read??????????

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I believe they speak about the total joint control in the training of Farad'n.

12. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

And it's sprinkled throughout the books pretty much.

13. Sir. Brilliance Registered Senior Member

First of all only 3 people have practiced vappad, two of them who turned to the dark side before they masterd it and mace windu was killed but if your saying that mace windu was fighting a sister of strength equall to his that would be just about one of the most powerful sisters around, also even though they never used them the weirding way includes the use of the weirding moudules which when used by a powerfull enought person can cut throught anything, so were saying that now the sister and mace are on equall terms as in weapons( his lightsaber and her weirding moudauale). So then it would be a pure contest of wills and mental fore and phycic abilities where the sister could easily kick maces ass, because she and he would both be able to throw of the other persons force or vocie commands such as kill yourself and the sister has more endurance and more hand to hand combat skills allowing her to kick mace windus ass.

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Weirding Modules? From The Dune movie? We were refering to the books.

15. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

From Wikipedia

So this Weirding Module is a departure from the books brought to us by the imagination of a director. I wouldn't count the WM in the fight.

16. Sir. Brilliance Registered Senior Member

Even so the sister would sitll win, they are just way to powerful for the jedi to win.

17. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Brilliance:

Where do you feel they overwhelming excell compared to the Jedi?

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm. Seems that the Bene Gissete would lose to a Jedi Master. Muscle training is great, improved will is excellent, total control of body chemistry is a marvelous thing, but the Jedi have all of these as the very basis of their skills.

Can a BG....
    lift a 19 metric ton starship?
    jump 20+ meters?
    see the future?
    absorb blaster fire?
    control the thoughts of others with no obvious display?
    sense everything in the next room?
    telekinetically choke someone?
    heal others?
    heal themselves?
    transform themselves into energy beings?
    communcate telepathically over thousands of miles?

and all this is just from the movies.

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Nope. You've probably given up on this thread, but anyway, I return to answer you.

I believe I have every novel that Frank Herbert has written, as well as every short story collection.
    I have read every dune book at least 4 times, and find something new every time. For instance I finished "god emperor" a few days ago, and noticed how what Moneo had been subjected to at the end of one chapter was reflected in the starting quote for the next one.