Valve bans 20,000 Steam accounts

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Aborted_Fetus, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymous2 Registered Senior Member

I was supposed to be notified when HL2 came out. I sent in a free voucher for it. Oh well, I guess if I care enough, I'd find out what the situation is, which I might do eventually.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Somewhat Stryder. But the only thing they uniquely identify the user with is by email address (that is how you log in, e-mail+password). All this moron had to do was was simply use a different e-mail, thus a different steam account, to use HL2 legitly than he used when he was hacking. Simple as that. In my experience having hacks and the like on the computer, even in the same directory, doesn't have any effect on your Steam account unless you use the hacks specifically with that account.

You can download/install/unencrypt with one account and play with another if you want, it doesn't really matter. The account is just for login/identification purposes basically, any legit account can use/download the software it is registered to use. For example, I've used one of my accounts to DL/install HL2/CS on 5 or 6 comps i.e. home comps, work, gf studio, parents, etc. If you log in on a dif comp, it will ask you to re-type password each time. But it will allow you to play CS and HL2 at the same time on diff comps on the same accnt. This came in handy because I played HL2 (amazing game) between CS rounds. Still play CS:Source for about an hour a day, its that good

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Certain programs use a unique computer ID that has nothing to do with e-mail (think MAC-filter IDs for wireless networks), but IDs a computer specifically for recognition/permission purposes, but doesn't (or at least isn't supposed to) uniquely identify the user. Steam only uses an e-mail identifier so users can log in from different locations, which is pretty common with that type of game.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

"You can download/install/unencrypt with one account and play with another if you want, it doesn't really matter."

Ummm, no. If that were true, I wouldn't have a problem, now would I. Once you activate a CD-Key through Steam, it only works on that account. According to you, if I unlocked the game from my banned account, I would play on another account.

Anyway, I just finished Half-Life 2 the other day using the cracked method, not a bad game, but I was expecting it to be a bit longer. Oh well, maybe Half-Life 3 will be longer, I will definitely not be buying it, though. I learned my lesson once, I won't be giving Valve any more money.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I thought you said you learned your lesson..

Hmm, not yet.

- N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.