Value of religious organizations

Discussion in 'Religion' started by birch, Mar 23, 2016.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

There is a sense of community based on mutually understood moral and social values.

Whereas without identifiable precepts, it is a random 'shot in the dark' of social understanding between individuals which makes forming and even finding a sense of community and belonging more difficult.

Take, for instance, this forum, where the majority interact only based on intellect and atheism. There is no real sense of community or connection.

A sense of community and identification tends to hinge on the more deeper personal aspects or meaning of our lives such as moral values, personal experiences and hobbies.

The value of religious organization is that it is a well-identified, structured and known format for those of like values which are validated, reinforced and secured.

This is the part i sort of envy but you have to buy the whole cow in order to be a member. Even if you share or agree with some of a religious organization's core ethical tenants, equally one may have to suspend disbelief on others. Therefore, you will never truly belong.

Being more individualistic or having an eclectic base of operations tends to isolate an individual in society moreso and seeking 'kindred' folk, if you will, is a haphazard process.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

This forum has been valuable for those who have struggled or even been abused by a religious organization but after the process of deduction and reasoning, what is there to replace it?

A negative (atheism) is hardly a fulfilling alternative. An emptiness left from the facts adds little to no structure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Atheism isn't a negative, it's a zero.

Anti-theism
    is a negative.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Atheism can be a kind of spirituality in itself. A sort of ascetism or denial of the pleasures of belief and of working diligently towards knowledge of the truth. That's why it is usually coupled with science as the chosen way of liberating oneself from the darkness of ignorance and laziness and superstition. There is a sense of having carved out one's own path in life--of being hard on oneself in order to merit some heroic character status. The chained Prometheus on his rock, eternally suffering for the sins of the blind and gullible masses. "Look how strong I am that I can bear all this hard and meaningless reality." Yes...but strong for whom? And for what end?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Religious organisations provide charity employement housing education and hospitals. Beneficial we can say.
    Folk enjoy the social aspect.
    They ease fear of death.
    They provide moral guidence for some.

9. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

There are other groups but religions, which can fill the emptiness with sense.

There is a wide range from science, sports, culture and arts, and interest groups or groups of people active in such fields are plenty.

E.g. some retired engineers teach young people for free. Some other persons help older or disabled people for free. I think these are very fulfilling hobbies and socially valuable hobbies, too. One can do good for fellow people without being religious. You don't need a god to know what is good for your fellow people.

It seems most humans have a nerve feedback loop that makes them feel good if they can make others feel good. I believe that this was "known" since long and culminated in sayings like "giving is merrier than taking". It actually works this way for many people. And there is the idea that "love is the only thing you can share and never run out of". At least before the digital world, this was quite true.

I'm agnostic, but actually my doubts in the existance of gods are so big, you can call me atheist without any problem. I don't believe in any god, and I'm quite sure there are no gods. I've been searching a long time for the "sense of life", briefly said, I believe there is no predefined sense, but the sense that you give your life yourself. It's all up to you, what you do. Carpe diem, "reap the day" the old romans said - and I think this is it actually. Each day is a chance. Take it. Admitted, some days are rotten. Try to get through and work on making the coming days better.

10. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

I'm a counter example. I feel better since I'm quite sure that there are no gods. It was a relief to realize it's just us humans and no mysterous superpowers and their strange rules that I must deal with.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I can see that. My own atheistic phase was strongly coupled with being liberated from the concept of sin and a punitive deity always looking over my shoulder watching me. The exhilarating sense of just being myself without shame or guilt far outweighed any comfort I took in being loved or being rewarded by this same omniscient chaperone. It also opened me up to a deeper spirituality involving my creativity and sense of being part of something wonderfully alive and real.

12. birch Valued Senior Member

I used to be that way. It just may be that ive yet to completely shake off a recent hypocritical patriarchal experience that's influenced outlook and even mood.

But i still see how group organizations benefit it's members, not necessarily because they are right or wrong but due to the fact greater numbers create greater strength, stability, reference and validation. They also support eachother on both personal and impersonal levels.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Right. A group creates rewarding emotional bonding and solidarity towards a cause quite aside from whether it is morally right or not. The annual KKK family picnic would be an example, if such exists. So attempting to justify the beliefs of a group based on the benefits of group activities is flawed logic.

14. birch Valued Senior Member

An observation is not justifying. It is just that - an observation.